Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X Tower Light installation

dcwilson

Hey guys, I've been searching all over and coming up with nothing. I'm not sure if I'm just missing it or what. I'm trying to install some tower lights into the Illusion X tower. I have all the wiring figured out, I'm just trying to find a solution to mount the lights into the tower's holes. I cannot for the life of me find any information on what to use. The holes are about 3/4" in diameter and the light mounting bolt will be 5/16 or 3/8, doesn't matter to me. These aren't specific tower lights I'm adding so I'm coming up with my own hardware. Does anyone have any info on what to use in those holes for mounts? I would like to use a threaded bushing which sounds like those come with the tower lights for the illusion X. No idea where to find them though. 

Edited by dcwilson
3 hours ago, jonthefireman said:

Following.  I have the Illusion XS and have been thinking about changing out my tower lights too. 

Does your tower currently have lights? What kind of mount do they have? 

You'll want to either add stainless or brass nutserts.  Youtube will have videos on how you can install them with an impact wrench (rather than requiring the special tool.)  You could also use well nuts (which are rubber -- slightly easier to use but won't be as solid/rigid once mounted.)  They should not fail as long as you get the right size.  Be sure to use stainless hardware.

4 hours ago, Fffrank said:

You'll want to either add stainless or brass nutserts.  Youtube will have videos on how you can install them with an impact wrench (rather than requiring the special tool.)  You could also use well nuts (which are rubber -- slightly easier to use but won't be as solid/rigid once mounted.)  They should not fail as long as you get the right size.  Be sure to use stainless hardware.

Thanks Frank. I tried a well nut, it was one size small than needed I think but I'm not sure how well even the proper size well nut would work because of the thickness of the tower, can't really find the next size up anywhere either. The rubber just squeezes itself out the hole. As far as stainless or brass nutserts go, I thought about going that route, but finding a nutsert that will fill a 3/4" hole for a 3/8 bolt sounds kind of mythical. Getting a nutsert large enough to fill the hole would end up being a pretty huge mounting bolt no? like 1/2" or bigger is what I'm reading. 

27 minutes ago, MLA said:

Are these threaded holes?  Just doesnt sound like tower light mounts. 

They are not threaded holes. They're about 3/4" in diameter,  or just slightly smaller from the powder-coating. They have plastic cups and caps that hold the wires in each hole for light wiring. From what I've read the metcraft or trailtech or whichever "official" lights for the tower come with threaded bushing reducers that thread into the raw hole (aluminum so I'm guessing they just screw into the aluminum) with a 3/8 threaded hole in the center for light mounting. That's just what I've heard, not sure if that's correct or not. However I can't seem to find any threaded bushings that would work for this application. Here is a bakes instructional. 

https://cdn.bakesonline.com/media/resourcelibrary/HIDinstall.pdf

And here's another instructional with a rivnut which looks to be 1/2" bolt. 

https://cdn.bakesonline.com/media/resourcelibrary/IgniteInstall.pdf

Edited by dcwilson
13 minutes ago, MLA said:

Are these threaded holes?  Just doesnt sound like tower light mounts. 

I always assumed they were for tower lights (but maybe just for the wiring?)  My Illusion X has the same holes and they don't appear threaded.  

@dcwilson You may need to drill new holes for mounting (you can tap them) or drill them the correct size for nutserts.   McMaster does sell a 3/8" brass wellnut that is designed for a 3/4" hole.  Part #93495A441

14 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

I always assumed they were for tower lights (but maybe just for the wiring?)  My Illusion X has the same holes and they don't appear threaded.  

@dcwilson You may need to drill new holes for mounting (you can tap them) or drill them the correct size for nutserts.   McMaster does sell a 3/8" brass wellnut that is designed for a 3/4" hole.  Part #93495A441

Thanks again @Fffrank. Yeah that looks to be a well nut which you can get in 3/8 and fit a 3/4" hole because of the neoprene. I am a bit skeptical of a well nut though as the neoprene doesn't hold overly tight, especially with the thickness of the tower. If i can't find anything else I might have to give that a try, or a 1/2" rivnut. Thanks again!

25 minutes ago, MLA said:

Those HID instruction make it sound like the hole is threaded. The Titan lights clearly have you installing a nut insert. Dont see why a nutsert style threaded insert wont work. 

I don't think the instructions would read "hand thread slow and straight" for a threaded hole haha. The adapter bushing is for tapping into the hole which would be fantastic if I could find such a thing. As far as a nutsert goes, it's just a size issue. I'd have to use a minimum of a 1/2" mounting bolt which is huge for a small light, might even be too big for the bracket. Most 1/2" nutserts say they're good for a 15mm hole. The tower hole is roughly 16-17mm with paint, so it may work, or maybe just have to use a metric nutsert, as it would be a little undersized. 

20 minutes ago, dcwilson said:

I don't think the instructions would read "hand thread slow and straight" for a threaded hole haha.

Im pretty sure you wont be cutting threads by threading by hand. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 10:32 AM, dcwilson said:

I don't think the instructions would read "hand thread slow and straight" for a threaded hole haha. The adapter bushing is for tapping into the hole which would be fantastic if I could find such a thing. As far as a nutsert goes, it's just a size issue. I'd have to use a minimum of a 1/2" mounting bolt which is huge for a small light, might even be too big for the bracket. Most 1/2" nutserts say they're good for a 15mm hole. The tower hole is roughly 16-17mm with paint, so it may work, or maybe just have to use a metric nutsert, as it would be a little undersized. 

Look up a “port reducer” on eBay. They make the, up to M16 which could work to tap straight into the aluminium. I’m working on this at the moment also. Not sure which lights to buy either...

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, Brycee said:

Look up a “port reducer” on eBay. They make the, up to M16 which could work to tap straight into the aluminium. I’m working on this at the moment also. Not sure which lights to buy either...

Thanks for the info. I will do some looking into those.

I'm still stuck on this. I can't find any kind of nutsert or rivnut big enough for the holes. I ordered some M12 (1/2") rivnuts but they are still way too small for the openings. I haven't come across any rivnuts bigger than that. Does anyone know what the factory used? And where I could source such a thing? I may just have to drill and tap new holes beside the existing holes as this is looking pretty grim.