Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5 or M6

Ifinallygota21v

I’m trying to decide between these 2 motors for 22LSV. We will run stock plus pnp. We live on a private lake but once a year go to Norris Lake. The crew is usually no more than 5 adults. Thoughts?

What are the elevations of the lakes you visit?  

Nobody ever complained of too much power is an axiom we use a lot here.   But people have complained about how much their boat costs, so I don't buy into it completely.   

If you don't usually have more than 5 adults then I'd go M5. I've been a 23LSV with the M5 and it has plenty of power with a small crew. When we had 12 adults on board, we had to dump some PnP but that's it.

You’ll need the m6 for wake if you fully load plus have more than 4 in the boat.

the 5 will work fine for surfing even fully loaded with people. But will never get on plane for wake.

as you are doing as much wake as surf, go 6.

ive tested at Malibu a 23 with both and this has been the result. Also talked to the techs there and this was their recommendation for when we order.

Edited by holden
Spelling

I ordered M6 in our 22LSV.  Test drove 22 with M5, five on board empty ballast gave it the gas and knew right away wanted more.  However, was comparing to our last boat 20LSV with Hammerhead.  

Will not get total cost of engine upgrade back on resale, but upgrade helps whenever it’s time to sell.  

Deleted tower speakers to help finance the M6 upgrade.

On 12/17/2019 at 5:01 PM, dlb said:

I ordered the M6, did not even consider the M5 for my 23 WSLSV.  We have 4-6 on a regular basis and up to 8 or more on fun days.

Same and after one season we are very happy with the M6 in the 23.