Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE Install

jonthefireman

So I drove out to FAE on Monday morning and picked up my system.  Figured I'd document the install progress for anyone thinking about doing it.  In the afternoon, I had time to install the muffler delete which was a simple process.  I had already removed the old Silent Ride muffler to take measurements for FAE.  Two stainless mandrel bends, two rubber boots, and two rubber unions and that's a wrap.  As soon as the weather warms up I'll tackle the exterior portion and post progress.  On a side note, Larry and the folks at FAE are truly great.  Very modest little shop out in Spicewood, definitely not a big box store!

2008 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV - 1.JPG

2008 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV - 3.JPG

2008 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV - 4.JPG

2008 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV - 5.JPG

2008 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV - 6.JPG

2008 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV - 8.JPG

2008 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV - 9.JPG

2008 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV - 11.JPG

2008 Malibu Wakesetter 247 LSV - 13.JPG

• Like 3

Is that your rubber from old set up top snd bottom ?  You had to measure for the muffler delete ? They aren’t standard parts for particular set ups ?

great job

do you change your openings on outside or just remove the flapper and bolt up ? Or leave flapper and it goes over the current  external exit piece ?

7 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Is that your rubber from old set up top snd bottom ?  You had to measure for the muffler delete ? They aren’t standard parts for particular set ups ?

great job

do you change your openings on outside or just remove the flapper and bolt up ? Or leave flapper and it goes over the current  external exit piece ?

Yes, both rubber boots and unions are reused.  I thought about replacing, but after checking the price I quickly changed my mind and there truly wasn't anything wrong with them. 

FAE asks for the measurements off the old Silent Ride as a "measure twice, cut once" precaution.  Assuming not ALL boats come out the same, but they do have a database. 

Pics to follow, should explain the last question. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chia said:

what's this? I don't have this as part of my fae and not having a flapper has deterred me from doing the muffler delete.

thanks

Flapper.thumb.JPG.c55d7a7fdb395118570eab

This is a one way flapper installed in the flange which attaches to the exterior exhaust inlet.  This is FAE's optional flapper, which essentially takes the place of the Malibu installed flap.

3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Thx!! And great job

@jonthefireman , this means you got every part they offer including muffler delete parts inside and replacement flappers? for a double opening 

what was the all in $ before Black Friday discount ?

The total "all in" for the one piece Y with blended welds, flappers installed, plus the muffler delete was $880.  Without a doubt, you can prob save a bunch by doing the muffler delete with a couple stainless mandrel bends from Summit Racing, but I was lazy and just bought the setup from FAE.  You can also save on not doing blended welds.  Took me less than 2 hours to do the whole install. 

44 minutes ago, jonthefireman said:

This is a one way flapper installed in the flange which attaches to the exterior exhaust inlet.  This is FAE's optional flapper, which essentially takes the place of the Malibu installed flap.

Seems like overkill.  This is installed by Malibu to prevent water from being forced into the engine while in reverse.  I can't see that being an issue once the FAE pipe is installed.

7 hours ago, Fffrank said:

I'm interested.  Has anyone deleted the muffler and can report on the sound difference?

I ran a season with the muffler and then removed it.  Somewhat surprisingly, the sound in the boat actually got slightly quieter.  My guess is that the muffler was good for reducing the noise out of the transom openings, but also emits some ambient noise.  Muffler delete certainly opens up a ton more room for impeller servicing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fffrank said:

Seems like overkill.  This is installed by Malibu to prevent water from being forced into the engine while in reverse.  I can't see that being an issue once the FAE pipe is installed.

You have to remove the older Malibu installed rubber flap in order to install the flange.  If you don't op for the flapper in the FAE flange, you will no longer have protection at all.  I agree, with the pipe I can't imagine water making it all the way back up to the engine, but I have dumb luck.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:19 AM, jonthefireman said:

Two stainless mandrel bends

Where?  Look like pie cuts to me, just like my muffler delete from them. I painted mine as they look like crap as-is...I recommend popping them off and hitting them with a $5 can of high temp paint.  Mine still look great after two seasons.

9 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Where?  Look like pie cuts to me, just like my muffler delete from them. I painted mine as they look like crap as-is...I recommend popping them off and hitting them with a $5 can of high temp paint.  Mine still look great after two seasons.

No, I didn't mean that I had mandrel bends, I have the pie cut pieces from FAE.  I meant I could have had more sense and just bought two $40 mandrel bent pipes from Summit but......

Yours do look great, I might just do that. 

14 hours ago, jonthefireman said:

You have to remove the older Malibu installed rubber flap in order to install the flange.  If you don't op for the flapper in the FAE flange, you will no longer have protection at all.  I agree, with the pipe I can't imagine water making it all the way back up to the engine, but I have dumb luck.

But the Malibu flaps are protecting a pipe that would have water forced into it while in reverse.  The FAE points down so going in reverse would no longer force water through/up it.....  right?

I did the same project earlier this year.  I bought some 3" SS tubing on Ebay and had my local fab shop build the muffler delete pipes based on my measurements.  I also re-used the existing rubber boots and clamps.  Total cost to delete the muffler: $95.

The FAE went on just as in the photos above.  

If you haven't done this upgrade, it is money well spent.  Makes boating more enjoyable due to the reduced noise and the open space in the engine compartment is fantastic.

I am still surprised they haven't hired a decent welder. 
They charge a lot for minor stainless pipes, do the cheesy pie cuts instead of investing in a mandrel bender, and can't even do a decent cup walk let alone lay down filler rod. 

14 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

I am still surprised they haven't hired a decent welder. 
They charge a lot for minor stainless pipes, do the cheesy pie cuts instead of investing in a mandrel bender, and can't even do a decent cup walk let alone lay down filler rod. 

Why would they tho? They have no competition to beat, they are their own market. 

I totally agree with what you said though, definitely not the greatest welds. 

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Why would they tho? They have no competition to beat, they are their own market. 

I totally agree with what you said though, definitely not the greatest welds. 

When I got my FAE and brought up the welds were crap his response was pretty much deal with it. That If i wanted it to look decent I should have paid extra to have them grind and polish the joints. Since they are grinders and not welders. 
It's really sad that they are hiding behind their patent in a sense. The fact that they have a great idea for a product but refuse to build a decent product because no one else can compete with them without paying them royalties. 

At least the manufacturers make their own and use mandrel bends and skilled welders.