Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

suction wake maker advice for '05 23 lsv

MalibuMichael

Hey gang,

I was hoping some of you with a 23 lsv could chime in on how you are getting your best surf wave?

I have a 2005 23 lsv.  I added two 750 lb fat sacs in the rear lockers.  I would love to hear how everyone (that has/had this boat) how they get the best curl and length waves. assuming even balanced passengers, probably around 5 kids and 4 adults. Around 1200 extra pounds.

ie....1/2 full front ballast, 3/4 full middle ballast. full rears and fat sacs (just an example).  Good speeds.  Also  advice on what suction wake maker works great on this hull.  Just looking for some things to try in the spring.

2 hours ago, MalibuMichael said:

Hey gang,

I was hoping some of you with a 23 lsv could chime in on how you are getting your best surf wave?

I have a 2005 23 lsv.  I added two 750 lb fat sacs in the rear lockers.  I would love to hear how everyone (that has/had this boat) how they get the best curl and length waves. assuming even balanced passengers, probably around 5 kids and 4 adults. Around 1200 extra pounds.

ie....1/2 full front ballast, 3/4 full middle ballast. full rears and fat sacs (just an example).  Good speeds.  Also  advice on what suction wake maker works great on this hull.  Just looking for some things to try in the spring.

I’ve used  Flipsurf. The best part about it is that it collapses to the size of a small pizza box. If you are interested shoot me a pm. We have an 08 lsv 

Edited by sChamblee

I’ve had really good luck with Wakesurf Edge Mega Wave Shapers.

both on my 247, a friends 23 LSV and my brother’s 2006 Nautique.

these things have insanely powerful suction cups. They have never once come off by accident.

set up takes a bit of time for each new boat to identify the optimum spot for the device. You get good wakes right away but with a little experimentation you can make great wakes. Some boats like it a little more forward than others or a slight downward angle. Took us abou my an hour per boat to know exactly how to place the gate on both sides to get the cleanest, longest, biggest wake possible.

i like this design as it’s a ramp not a brake. It floats without anything on it. And bases on my experience with my surfgates on my 247... having a larger gate made a huge difference in wake shale and quality.

Everybody will have their preferences but I would definitely recommend you look at the Wakesurf Edge Line.

1 hour ago, holden said:

Everybody will have their preferences but I would definitely recommend you look at the Wakesurf Edge Line.

LiquidForce bought them and they are now $400+

14 hours ago, sChamblee said:

I’ve used  Flipsurf. The best part about it is that it collapses to the size of a small pizza box. If you are interested shoot me a pm. We have an 08 lsv 

Haven't seen this one but it looks good and the price is right!

17 hours ago, MalibuMichael said:

Hey gang,

I've had great luck with the Nauticurl.  Looks like it's gone but a bit in price but the new one also floats.  I've got the same setup as you (although I have 1100s in the back even though I know they don't fill all the way.)  I weight 50% on non-surf side and 100% on surf side.  I do have the front and mid MLS tanks (which I run full) in my 2004 as well.  

17 hours ago, MalibuMichael said:

Hey gang,

I've got a 2005 21LSV with plumbed in rear, center, and front ballast with reversible pumps and DIY surf gates (WakeLogic).  Pretty nice wave  If you have a center ski locker there is room in there for a 650 lb bag and @300 up front under the seats.  Total capacity is about 3000 lbs of ballast but I never use that much.  Actually some lead/shot in the front if we're doing a lot of surfing.  If you haven't changed your prop yet consider that first.  I have a 1235.  Everyone has an opinion on props.  The WakeLogic system works pretty much like stock.  Key is to get your gates built right.  Bottom line, my 2005 has close to or equal 2015 surfing capabilities.

22 hours ago, MalibuMichael said:

nitrousbird have you used this wakemate? your thoughts on it?

Yes.  I have it and it works great.  I used to run a copy of the Ronix Eight.3 wakeshaper (the big wedge that used Velcro).  This is far smaller and works just as well.  Heck, I still need to sell that wake shaper...

• 4 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 4:23 PM, MalibuMichael said:

Hey gang,

To answer about the weights.  Your 05 has rear subfloor ballast on both sides, correct?

Bow, Fill 100%

Center Fill 100%

Rears (Fill subfloor factory ballast 100%) Will have to play with the additional 750, start with 1/2 to 3/4.

Wedge Down.

Suction surf device

The rear weight will depend on crew placement how much you add to the bow and midship.  If you add additional bow weight (which you will want to) then you can add more rear weight.  Think 40/60 balance as a starting point, 40% bow and midship / 60% rear and wedge.

• 4 months later...

Having some trouble getting the wakesurf edge to stick on my 2004 Wakesetter 23 LSV.  Any tips on location?  I was told it is supposed to be at the mid-water line, but that seems to be right where the boat is not flat.

12 hours ago, ducklaw99 said:

Having some trouble getting the wakesurf edge to stick on my 2004 Wakesetter 23 LSV.  Any tips on location?  I was told it is supposed to be at the mid-water line, but that seems to be right where the boat is not flat.

As low down as it will go.  There's a flat spot at the bottom of the hull that works well for my sucker.

On 8/24/2020 at 10:36 AM, Fffrank said:

As low down as it will go.  There's a flat spot at the bottom of the hull that works well for my sucker.

Thank you!  I was afraid of going too low as I had read that it should be at the edge of the surface of the water.  I'm curious - how far forward or rear do you put it for the best result?

50 minutes ago, ducklaw99 said:

Thank you!  I was afraid of going too low as I had read that it should be at the edge of the surface of the water.  I'm curious - how far forward or rear do you put it for the best result?

I put it as far back as possible (but it doesn't seem to be too sensitive to placement.)

Be sure your suck-gate floats because it may fall off the first few times you try to get it positioned correctly.  Mine sinks but I keep a throwable cushion tied to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Add weight in the front of your boats I have a 2004 also these hulls love weight in the front it will not only add length but push also..iv got 2 diy shapers and a old wicked wake gate(that sucks) but I’m my experience iv tried many different suck Gates except for the liquid force which is supposed to be great but other than that there all really close to the same wave...position and ballast is key.you don’t have to go out and spend 400 on a shaper.add bow weight 

A made one works perfect,iv even used my buddies swell and swell xl and neither of those made my wave bigger or longer.so I agree if you not into making stuff like that buy the cheapest one like the wake10 or something similar..