Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Option Question: INTERNAL STORAGE LINERS, SOFT GRIP

Superdice7

I believe the 2020 23 LSV has carpet lined storage under the seats.  Does the option below eliminate the carpet?  To me, it seems spendy to check this box at $1500.    Thoughts?

INTERNAL STORAGE LINERS, SOFT GRIP

ahopkins22LSV

I don’t think they are carpet lined. I think the standard is a small rubber pad over non skid textured gel coat. At least that’s what I’ve recalled seeing. 1500 does seem like a lot but remember you don’t end up paying that after the % off you get from the msrp. 

Might be work an email to @UpperleftWake to investigate what the gatorstep options are. It’s super easy to install. 

• Like 1

I did not get that option on my 2019 and the storage areas were just fiberglass.  There is some black thin rubber glued down in certain locations, like under the glove box, under the cooler and there is a small Deckadence like mat that was on the floor of the coffin.  

I coughed up the money later for Gator Grip and am pleased with it.  Placing the gator grip was not all that hard, but did take some time and effort.  It did not save me much money, if at all, so I wish I had just done it right the first time.  I still have some areas where I did not take the time to remove the black rubber and I have the gator grip sitting on a shelf in the garage all summer.  

Edited by TallRedRider

It is a pricey option but it's a TON of Soft Grip. It's not just the floor in the storage areas, it's on the sides and everywhere. It's even on top of the hard tank ballast in the rear. There's a ton of it in the OB storage area as well.
Also, if you don't select it they are not carpet lined. It's all finished fiberglass. On the port side, there's a removable mat.

Edited by Suggy

Just curious:  what do people see as the main benefit of having something other than fiberglass under the seats?  If you don't like the appearance, I can understand that as a reason.

I have small very thin mesh mats under my seats which just sit on the fiberglass - and when I pulled them out for fall cleaning, I thought to myself, why are these even in here?  I have enough left over decadence, I could cover the floors with that, but not sure what I would be gaining.  Typically, the under seat floor is covered with jackets, tupperware tubs with toys/rags etc, ropes, bumpers, etc, and I couldn't see a liner even if I put one in (unless I did it on the sides as above).  What if anything does a liner accomplish other than appearance?

On 12/15/2019 at 7:19 AM, malibudog said:

Just curious:  what do people see as the main benefit of having something other than fiberglass under the seats?  If you don't like the appearance, I can understand that as a reason.

I have small very thin mesh mats under my seats which just sit on the fiberglass - and when I pulled them out for fall cleaning, I thought to myself, why are these even in here?  I have enough left over decadence, I could cover the floors with that, but not sure what I would be gaining.  Typically, the under seat floor is covered with jackets, tupperware tubs with toys/rags etc, ropes, bumpers, etc, and I couldn't see a liner even if I put one in (unless I did it on the sides as above).  What if anything does a liner accomplish other than appearance?

All of the hard things you might put in there are going to scratch the floor and I think it will look poorly in a year or two.  The foam will still look pretty good for years to come.  They person who will see it is when you conspicuously have pictures of the storage absent when you sell, or when they see it in person to check out the boat.  If you are going to keep the boat forever, it will be less of an issue.  Think about what is going to happen when you put an anchor in one of those storage areas after a few double ups.  The long term look of the fiberglass is not going to be good.  

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

All of the hard things you might put in there are going to scratch the floor and I think it will look poorly in a year or two. 

Reminds me of the joke about the guy who spends his life wondering what happens to the light when the fridge door closes.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:19 AM, malibudog said:

I see value in having the soft grip on everything in the lockers.... setting the anchor on something soft vs. hard (so it doesn't slide around) and people toss all kinds of things under the seats and the soft grip will just help keep everything from sliding around.  When I am putting my boat in the garage I toss my boar racks in the lockers (they need to come off) and i'd much rather put them on the soft stuff vs. hard fiberglass.