Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Distributor wiring

03whiteCTD

I have an 87 Skier I purchased recently on a great deal (I think).

Long story short I dont have spark, from the coil. I cant imagine the coil is still good, however I have the J1171 distributor, it didnt come with one so I bought it from Ebay and thought it was the proper one. If it is not please inform me on how to make it work or a super cheap replacement.

I cant upload pics for some reason but need to know where to route wires for the distributor.

To the coil is a grey to Negative and purple+purple/yellow to the Positive. That is the factory harness. I have nothing coming off any of the 3 posts on the distributor

Thanks!

Do you have a breaker point ignition sytsem? Mercruiser engine?

J1171 denotes the distributor is marine grade. That designation alone does not indicate the distributor is the correct application for your engine. The gray wire typically connects to a tachometer. You should have an additional wire routed from the coil negative terminal to the distributor.

Edited by Murphys
additional information
  • 2 weeks later...

Murphys, I apologize I completely missed the boat on your post (pun intended).

I really wish I wouldve seen your post earlier.

Long story short I figured out I had a thunderbolt dist and no thunderbolt system. It was obviously wired for a factory points dist. A friend of a friend actually cut me a screaming deal on an hei dist. So I currently have that in and timed for the most part. However I'm still not getting spark.

Basically I took the purple/yellow and purple wire from the pos side of the coil and went to the B+ of the hei dist. The "ground wire" if you will has 3.4v roughly with key on. I did not hook it up to the tach side for fear of harming the circuit. I am lost however on why I dont have spark? I have 12 volts on the purple wires and under cranking it has battery voltage (11.5v roughly) it's a battery out of my truck so it's doing its job without question.