Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Axis A20 stereo upgrades

Caballojtm

Just bought a 2019 Axis A20 with the base stereo option. Looking to add bow speakers and possibly a sub. Are the bow speakers pre-wired and powered by the control box? Where can I buy the OEM speakers to match the four in the main cabin? Will I need the dealer to flash anything to get them to work? Since I just bought a new boat, I'm trying to keep the budget down. I want to keep OEM functionality/beeps and not looking to go crazy loud anyway. I know I won't be able to hear it behind the boat while I ride without towers but that's fine.  I live near and ride mostly on a smaller lake.  Not trying to rock the whole lake with 1000watt tower speaker and be "that guy" raging tunes and sending rollers into peoples' docks. Just looking for a little more sound at the front of the boat and bass to fill out the low range while we hang out between rides. Basically trying to get to SP2 without the towers. Anticipating I will need an amp for the sub but trying to learn what I can about the current wiring setup without having to dig around and dismantle my brand new boat. Assuming the factory unit is standard 4 channels?  By the way the current unit balances/fades and lack of power I'm assuming that currently the four rear speakers are being driven by the two rear channels, hoping that leaves two channels to drive the fronts? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Caballojtm
corrected grammar

In years past, a base system of 4 cabin speakers and source unit did not include an amp. You can add the bow speakers with no issue but some re-wiring at the media center is likely. To add a woofer, you will need to install an amp for that. In this case, I would suggest going with a 5 or 6 chnl amp that will drive the new woofer, as well as the 6 in-boat speakers. This will be an overall improvement in sound quality. Decide on the woofer first, then the amp choice fall in line. 

1 hour ago, Caballojtm said:

Just bought a 2019 Axis A20 with the base stereo option. Looking to add bow speakers and possibly a sub. Are the bow speakers pre-wired and powered by the control box? Where can I buy the OEM speakers to match the four in the main cabin? Will I need the dealer to flash anything to get them to work? Since I just bought a new boat, I'm trying to keep the budget down. I want to keep OEM functionality/beeps and not looking to go crazy loud anyway. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

don’t go through the trouble of adding 2 speakers with out an amp for them snd sub ,  better yet a dedicated 6 channel amp to make it robust in boats and a separate sub amp or one that can do both towers and the sub ( but my setup like that leaves my rev 8 towers a bit underpowered)

id wait unless your going to do towers , sub and inboats all powered by amps

i sported sp1 for 4 years until I did it all plus LED’s in my a20

You have no surf pipe so your planned upgrade will be useless surfing or riding 

28 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

don’t go through the trouble of adding 2 speakers with out an amp for them snd sub ,  better yet a dedicated 6 channel amp to make it robust in boats and a separate sub amp or one that can do both towers and the sub ( but my setup like that leaves my rev 8 towers a bit underpowered)

id wait unless your going to do towers , sub and inboats all powered by amps

i sported sp1 for 4 years until I did it all plus LED’s in my a20

You have no surf pipe so your planned upgrade will be useless surfing or riding 

Thanks for the tip, I know that's what most people do if they want sound while riding but that's not what I'm after. I actually do have a Surf Pipe but that doesn't matter because I'm not looking to add towers at this point.

1 minute ago, Caballojtm said:

Thanks for the tip, I know that's what most people do if they want sound while riding but that's not what I'm after. I actually do have a Surf Pipe but that doesn't matter because I'm not looking to add towers at this point.

Wow , a leftover 19’ a20 with power wedge 3 and surf pipe that had sp1 that’s rare , did you buy someone’s ordered boat?

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

Wow , a leftover 19’ a20 with power wedge 3 and surf pipe that had sp1 that’s rare , did you buy someone’s ordered boat?

Guessing so, it actually doesn't have the power wedge, just the auto set with surf gates and ballast everywhere.  Seems to have just about everything I was looking for without a bunch of extras I didn't want to pay for. Pretty basic but a huge upgrade over my 2008 Sea Ray 185 with V6. That was a great little boat but I'm 6'4" and 225lbs so it definitely struggled when I got to pulling on it with my wakeboard and surfing wasn't a possibility. 

8 hours ago, Caballojtm said:

Just bought a 2019 Axis A20 with the base stereo option. Looking to add bow speakers and possibly a sub. Are the bow speakers pre-wired and powered by the control box? Where can I buy the OEM speakers to match the four in the main cabin? Will I need the dealer to flash anything to get them to work? Since I just bought a new boat, I'm trying to keep the budget down. I want to keep OEM functionality/beeps and not looking to go crazy loud anyway. I know I won't be able to hear it behind the boat while I ride without towers but that's fine.  I live near and ride mostly on a smaller lake.  Not trying to rock the whole lake with 1000watt tower speaker and be "that guy" raging tunes and sending rollers into peoples' docks. Just looking for a little more sound at the front of the boat and bass to fill out the low range while we hang out between rides. Basically trying to get to SP2 without the towers. Anticipating I will need an amp for the sub but trying to learn what I can about the current wiring setup without having to dig around and dismantle my brand new boat. Assuming the factory unit is standard 4 channels?  By the way the current unit balances/fades and lack of power I'm assuming that currently the four rear speakers are being driven by the two rear channels, hoping that leaves two channels to drive the fronts? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

I ordered my 16 A20 and 18 T22 with SP1 and both were prewired for the bow speakers. Yes they are wired off the black box. The holes for the speakers should already be there behind the vinyl and the wires will be there. If you want to match the other 4 in boat speakers you will have to get through the dealer. Those grills are Axis exclusive and you cannot get them from wetsounds. As far as installing the bow speakers just cut a + where the holes are and push the speakers in.....easy peasy!

6 hours ago, st22eve said:

I ordered my 16 A20 and 18 T22 with SP1 and both were prewired for the bow speakers. Yes they are wired off the black box. The holes for the speakers should already be there behind the vinyl and the wires will be there. If you want to match the other 4 in boat speakers you will have to get through the dealer. Those grills are Axis exclusive and you cannot get them from wetsounds. As far as installing the bow speakers just cut a + where the holes are and push the speakers in.....easy peasy!

Thank you 

On 12/7/2019 at 12:04 PM, Caballojtm said:

Guessing so, it actually doesn't have the power wedge, just the auto set with surf gates and ballast everywhere.  Seems to have just about everything I was looking for without a bunch of extras I didn't want to pay for. Pretty basic but a huge upgrade over my 2008 Sea Ray 185 with V6. That was a great little boat but I'm 6'4" and 225lbs so it definitely struggled when I got to pulling on it with my wakeboard and surfing wasn't a possibility. 

I didn’t think surf pipe came separate with out power wedge,  they are a combined option  for ‘19

luv my a20’but have you actually seen your surfpipe ,  or was this FAE added to your auto set wedge 

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I didn’t think surf pipe came separate with out power wedge,  they are a combined option  for ‘19

luv my a20’but have you actually seen your surfpipe ,  or was this FAE added to your auto set wedge 

You can definitely order the auto set wedge with or without surf pipe. That was an option on axis even before power wedge 2 or 3 were available. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@Caballojtm Also looking to install a sealed sub box on my 19' A20. How did you fit a box under the helm with all the hoses for the ballast? Having a heck of a time fitting a box and still keeping the factory kick plate...

Edited by shane366

Not sealed, so free air. Will never hit quite as hard, etc. but I’m very happy with the sound. 12” with 500 watts is plenty for me. Couple zip ties to keep hoses from touching the back of the speaker. Reinforced the back of the kick plate with 1/2” plywood. 

On 3/23/2020 at 6:41 PM, Caballojtm said:

Not sealed, so free air. Will never hit quite as hard, etc. but I’m very happy with the sound. 12” with 500 watts is plenty for me. Couple zip ties to keep hoses from touching the back of the speaker. Reinforced the back of the kick plate with 1/2” plywood. 

Awesome thanks. Exactly the info I was looking for