Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

m5di dipstick reading

agarabaghi

Been dealing with some weird oil pressure guage readings and wanted to make sure on the dip stick reading.... though it seems the same whether the engine is warm or cold.

The dipstick only has 2 markings on it... Fill and Full.

Are we reading these at temp (160) or cold ?

m5/m6? 

I read it warm leveled on the lift.

When you said odd fluctuation are you referring to the oil pressure gauge? Mine will idle at 60psi (after engine is warm) and peg to 80psi for the 1st rider, then levels out 40psi idle 60psi riding after .... seems odd and sometimes throws and error.

we got an error the first time after an oil change and the dip stick was closer to fill and full so i topped it off.. after that i just get the higher gauge readings for the 1st set or set then it levels out .... kinda bothers me haha

You are running the Dexos rated 5-30W Syn correct? About 10 hours into my first dealer serviced oil change I started seeing some off numbers for the OP. I check the oil level all good. I go back and look at my service p/w and see where the dealership put in 15-40W oil instead of the OM printed in BOLD and italicized "5-30W oil only". Doesn't seem to have hurt anything for those 30 hours.

that what im thinking that they put the wrong oil in.... but i cant prove that. 

I topped off with 5w30 dexos 2 but no idea whats currently in it. Might have them do a full drain and refill. 

I bet if a couple more people chime in on this that we are going to see that it is just one of those quirks for this motor. I would be more inclined to believe that this is something more to do with a sensor and or the electronics than an oil delivery issue. Just a guess based on me staring at the 15v reading on the dash for 166 hours this summer.

yea, maybe... but then why didnt it do this before the 20hour oil change?

I think for peace of mind, Ill see if i can drain or have the dealer just do another oil change ensuring the 5w30 is used. 

i would also tend to agree they might have put the heavier oil.  The newer engines are spec'ing the 5w30 b/c of the higher pressure oil pumps that are in the Gen V engines.   It's easy enough to drain and you can just not worry about the little bit that is in the oil filter.

From what I understand about the GM Gen V motors, the synthetic 5w30 Dexos gen 2 oil is recommended for the proper operation of the VVT hydraulics and to reduce oil gunk buildup in on the intake valves from the PCV system since they have direct fuel injection.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:46 AM, agarabaghi said:

yea, maybe... but then why didnt it do this before the 20hour oil change?

I think for peace of mind, Ill see if i can drain or have the dealer just do another oil change ensuring the 5w30 is used. 

I don’t remember exactly when the 2 times occurred, but I do remember thinking in both instances that the personality of the engine had changed a little. Less throttle on take off and holding speed a little easier. I want to say at about 40 hours and then again at about 100 hours. I might just be my imagination, but I am pretty attentive when it comes to stuff like that and do have a good number of hours on it. You might of achieved one of those break in instances you self just earlier in the process.

• 6 months later...

Hi all...I have a 2019 VLX with the larger 450 Monsoon engine. Now with 44 hours. Has the 10 hour service done. Then last week low oil pressure warning out of nowhere and then it drops to 3!....I was right at the dock so shut it down and checked the oil level - right at full so I called the dealer. They came and grabbed and this is the explanation. "We drained the oil - about 4 litres came out but we know it holds 6 litres - so we put that in. At 4 litres it showed full on the dipstick - at 6 it shows over filled but we know it takes that much so the dipstick is the wrong one" WTF? that sounds silly to me so I told them to call Malibu to get to the bottom of this. just the most ridiculous answer ever. What do you think?

Did you make sure the engine was siting level when you checked the oil level?

If it isn't the reading is going to be off.

Also there was a small handful of them sent out with the wrong dipstick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2004 21 VLX with new gm long block. Prior to first oil change dip stick showed full.  Sucked out oil with vacuum pump but only got 4 liters out. Vacuum pump tube was bottomed out in pan. Can someone tell me the standard length dipstick cap to mid full range mark.   Does vacuum method usually get most of oil out?  ideas?
thanks?

Ahhh man, I think sucking the oil out of the dip stick has been added to the deadly sin list. A quick search will get you countless threads of guys losing, braking, whatever their tubes. Just use the hose off the bottom of the engine, should go right out the floor drain plug.

16 minutes ago, Underdog01 said:

2004 21 VLX with new gm long block. Prior to first oil change dip stick showed full.  Sucked out oil with vacuum pump but only got 4 liters out. Vacuum pump tube was bottomed out in pan. Can someone tell me the standard length dipstick cap to mid full range mark.   Does vacuum method usually get most of oil out?  ideas?
thanks?

Use the vacuum method with a few simple parts from your hardware store with the oil drain hose.  

IMG_7901.jpg

By the way new cal software was released by the malibu for the issue i was having, all m5 and m6 engines were flashed with it apparently going forward. (this was actually released a while back)

Edited by agarabaghi
4 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Use the vacuum method with a few simple parts from your hardware store with the oil drain hose.  

IMG_7901.jpg

do you know the thread size for the oil hose? would like to rig something up like that for my pump...

You guys vacuuming it are putting too much effort in to this. :Tease3:  When I put it up warm, on Sunday I just drop the hose out the transom and let it gravity drain all week. Almost every drop with out fail. No cussing, no spills, no burns, no problems.

Edited by wdr
3 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

do you know the thread size for the oil hose? would like to rig something up like that for my pump...

The small brass head on the drain tube is 7/16" and the brass cap is 9/16". A guess, but probably 1/2" NPT for the threads

5 minutes ago, wdr said:

You guys vacuuming it are putting too much effort in to this. :Tease3:  When I put it up warm, on Sunday I just drop the hose out the transom and let it gravity drain all week. Almost every drop with out fail. No cussing, no spills, no burns, no problems.

drain all week?! i need my boat haha.... thanks for the sizes.

4 minutes ago, wdr said:

I can’t keep my boat at the house overnight due to HOA, so need to pump mine to make quick work of it.