Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leftover ‘18 22VLX - Good Deal?

jhunt

Was initially searching for used boats and came across a deal on a new 18 22VLX.  All the research on this site points to it being a good deal just wondering if there are things I should be concerned with on a boat sitting this long?  5 year warranty will start when I buy it so should be good though a little curious why they couldn’t sell it as the colors are pretty standard and has most options.  Out of my area so haven’t seen it yet but traveling to put eyes on it.

Have had Malibu’s before but this would be our first new purchase.  Any input would be appreciated!

At $80k with these options, colors are white and charcoal exterior.  Looks to be good deal just wondering why it hadn't sold:

Flush kit

Sound System Wake VLX pack

Illusion G3.5 Tower(Charcoal)

Tower Amp 500W

Speakers - Wetsounds Icon 8

Tower Hoop and Arch-Charcoal

Ballast HI FLO - Bow

Ballast HI FLO - Rear PNP Plumbing w/AUto Vent

Surf Gate w/Malibu Surfband

Wedge - Pwer Wedge II

Sport Dash w/Rotary VDC 4-Way Joystick

Wake View Seating

Battery Set Up Option 2

Dual Batteries - 500 CCA & 800 CCA

Pull Up Cleats - Two Pair

CS Bimini Top - Extended Gen II Surf

CS Boat Cover w/Taps 2 and Swimboard Cover

Bow Step- Soft Grip - Gray

In May of 2017, paid $73K for a 2015 22 VLX with about 75-hours and no warranty.  Note:  There was only a 3-year warranty on these boats back then, so it was not worth paying the money (about $1.3K) to transfer the warranty for the one year remaining.  So, getting a brand new boat with zero hours and a 5-year warranty seems like a great deal.  I really love my boat and have had no major problems with it.

Good luck. 

Seems like not a bad deal for that spec. It is a 2 year old boat at this point, so I’d look at values on lightly used ones, and add a tiny bit for the fact that boat is new. I’m guessing you’d come in right around that 80k Mark. 

I agree with @dcarl.  If you like the colors and the 22 VLX is the boat for you, then buy it.  At $80k it's a good deal.  For reference purposes, take a look at OIB and see what they're selling for used as @TenTwentyOne suggested.  That would be a good barometer for you.  I have a 2017 22 VLX and love it.  It's a great boat if you need a 22 vs a 23 or larger.  

We bought a leftover 2018 22VLX last year and got a really good deal and I feel your deal is very good as well.  We put 120 hours on the boat this year and love everything about it.  I know many will say "hold out for PW3 or something else" but if you like the colors and options, jump on it and don't look back.  If this is truly brand new (not a demo) and hasn't been titled then you should still receive 5 years of warranty as well.

Hey JHunt.  Love seeing other Dallas folks on the Site.  I sounds like you are doing your homework and have found some great deals out there.

Not sure if you have checked locally with WaterSki America.  If not, it’s worth a call or visit.  I’ve been a customer since 1999 and was once in your shoes looking for a great deal and expanding my search nationwide. My take away was this - I could potentially always find a sweeter deal but it would always be at the sacrifice of service, timely service and relationship.  I guess what I’m suggesting is, you are local, buy local and get service local.  Unfortunately out of territory boats are never serviced as fast as boats bought in territory.  Every dealer operates this way, they have to take care of their customers.

Happy to have a convo over PM, phone or over a meal about WSA and my experience.  They are the best - hands down.  It’s a family over there b/t sales, service and customers. Exciting times - you’re getting a boat!!!

• Like 2

@Murphy8166 agree with a lot of what you said but the other side is what my plan is for the boat.  You can say I am in the hole but I’m not planning to sell anytime soon.  I look at it as the 22VLX checks my boxes and I have the benefit of a 5 year warranty for a boat in my price range.  Do I risk not getting first service, sure, but that would be the same case if I bought a used boat from an owner. I know the  22LSV has different options and is a different boat but it’s also a lot more money.

I compare this to searching on this site for a boat cover.  Most people recommend one guy at a company for a cover that’s $1,000.  I’m sure it’s a great cover but I can also buy a cover for $275 and with my boat being on a lift out of the sun with no chance of rain getting on it and never being towed that cover suits my needs perfectly for a lot less.

As you said, posting this as maybe it can help people.  One needs to get input, see the boat, do a test drive, if it fits their financial model then they need to weigh whether it’s worth buying local or not.  I’ll be going to see the boat soon and making a decision.  Appreciate all the input.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:48 AM, Murphy8166 said:

Hey JHunt.  Love seeing other Dallas folks on the Site.  I sounds like you are doing your homework and have found some great deals out there.

Not sure if you have checked locally with WaterSki America.  If not, it’s worth a call or visit.  I’ve been a customer since 1999 and was once in your shoes looking for a great deal and expanding my search nationwide. My take away was this - I could potentially always find a sweeter deal but it would always be at the sacrifice of service, timely service and relationship.  I guess what I’m suggesting is, you are local, buy local and get service local.  Unfortunately out of territory boats are never serviced as fast as boats bought in territory.  Every dealer operates this way, they have to take care of their customers.

Happy to have a convo over PM, phone or over a meal about WSA and my experience.  They are the best - hands down.  It’s a family over there b/t sales, service and customers. Exciting times - you’re getting a boat!!!

I agree. I have know these guys at WSA since I was in middle school and they are top notch!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2010 LSV that I bought new at the end of the season.  It had 8 hours as they demo’d it a few times.  I did buy from a local dealer. I brought the boat in for the 15 hour service as the dealer included that in the price I paid since it had a few hours on it.  It was never titled and came with a new warranty.  I got a great deal on it.  I still own the boat and have around 700 hours on the boat and have never taken it to the dealer.  Maybe I was just lucky to not have any warranty issues.  Normal maintenance is not difficult and most people could do it with lots of resources here and on YouTube.  Not only does it save a lot of money but you don’t have to worry about a dealers schedule dictating your use of the boat.

Others here with the same model you have may be able to provide input on the likelihood of you having to bring the boat in for warranty work.

Personally, I would not let the territory issue impact me getting the boat I want for a good price.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, BSUBU_Kris said:

I have a 2010 LSV that I bought new at the end of the season.  It had 8 hours as they demo’d it a few times.  I did buy from a local dealer. I brought the boat in for the 15 hour service as the dealer included that in the price I paid since it had a few hours on it.  It was never titled and came with a new warranty.  I got a great deal on it.  I still own the boat and have around 700 hours on the boat and have never taken it to the dealer.  Maybe I was just lucky to not have any warranty issues.  Normal maintenance is not difficult and most people could do it with lots of resources here and on YouTube.  Not only does it save a lot of money but you don’t have to worry about a dealers schedule dictating your use of the boat.

Others here with the same model you have may be able to provide input on the likelihood of you having to bring the boat in for warranty work.

Personally, I would not let the territory issue impact me getting the boat I want for a good price.

I had a different situation than you. I bought my 2012 VLX in 2013 locally after hearing all the horror stories of buying out of market.  Mine was similar in that it had 3 hours from demos. The first 150 hours were problem after problem after problem after...., well you get the idea.  My dealer was GREAT and got me in and out quickly each time. Had I not bought locally, I would have been screwed since I do know that my dealer will not put a priority on Boats purchased out of market. After I got the new boat blues worked out, the next 650 hours have been flawless and boat has not been back to the dealer since I do all my own maintenance. I can not stress how much I recommend buying locally. While I was going through all my problems in the beginning, I was frustrated, angry, and disappointed. I can not imagine stacking all that on having a dealer not willing to work on my boat for months in the middle of summer.  

• Like 2

On buying locally getting you better service --- It's been said a million times by a million dealers. It's been repeated by a million boat owners. "I got special service because I'm some kinda VIP". Makes everyone feel better. It also allows a dealer to sell more boats at a higher price by giving you the, "well, we do give priority to boats we sell when it comes to service" move. I'm here to tell you that there's a really good chance that this is all BS. 

Most of the dealers that I'm familiar with are small, owner-operator type businesses. No successful small business prefers one customer's profit over another. There just aren't enough customers to go around. People that have a boat, eventually buy another boat. No good business man wants to burn a bridge. 

I just wonder if anyone has actually been told, "Sorry buddy, you bought this boat somewhere else. We're not getting to your boat til the season is over." 

Servicing these boats probably represents half of the profit in the building. Every boat in service is first in line, or they are already out of business. 

A buddy of mine picked up a used 2016 22vlx this spring for $103 (Cdn vs Usd) Really nice boat, probably the nicest I have had the pleasure of being on.

2 years newer with warranty for $80k sounds like a solid deal. Like the other posters said, if you like the colors, go for it!

• 4 weeks later...

I would see if the dealership will do anything else for you. Throw in cover, boards or something else to sweeten the deal. And make sure it was not a demo for dealership or the owners kid or something. If that is the case it might not kill the deal, but the price should come down dramatically if so. 

On 12/19/2019 at 8:38 AM, BigCreek said:

On buying locally getting you better service --- It's been said a million times by a million dealers. It's been repeated by a million boat owners. "I got special service because I'm some kinda VIP". Makes everyone feel better. It also allows a dealer to sell more boats at a higher price by giving you the, "well, we do give priority to boats we sell when it comes to service" move. I'm here to tell you that there's a really good chance that this is all BS. 

Most of the dealers that I'm familiar with are small, owner-operator type businesses. No successful small business prefers one customer's profit over another. There just aren't enough customers to go around. People that have a boat, eventually buy another boat. No good business man wants to burn a bridge. 

But the guy who just bought a boat from you is likely to buy another from you, and he is likely to be back for service.  That is a revenue stream.  Some guy who shows up with his boat purchased hundreds of miles away on July 4th weekend is not going to get his boat in time for the holiday.  One of the problems with boat dealers is that it is feast or famine.  They are overwhelmed with work in the summer, so there is opportunity to pick and choose who to service first.  If they had capacity, then of course, they would take all comers, but I haven't seen a dealership that was not working at capacity in the summer months.  

I just wonder if anyone has actually been told, "Sorry buddy, you bought this boat somewhere else. We're not getting to your boat til the season is over." 

Yes, I have seen it.  Multiple times on various discussion boards.  Mostly when it was a big problem like an engine swap, but nonetheless it has happened to many people.  

Servicing these boats probably represents half of the profit in the building. Every boat in service is first in line, or they are already out of business. 

I still don't understand it, but multiple dealers have told me the money is in the sales, not the service.  My observations of dealer behavior also support that this is the case.  

Edited by TallRedRider

Bottom line. Parts on the shelf won’t go to you. They’ll order them and you’ll wait. If the Service lot is full, then you’ll wait. It’s like being Group 5 on the airlines. You’ll get on the plane eventually but not till the frequent flyers take the overhead space. You will get taken care of because WSA is just a solid ethical business.  And they treat you like a loyal customer even if you’re out of territory every chance they can. They want you to come back and get a new boat next year or in 5 years. Or in my case 15 years. They work hard to earn that.  I think they’re some of the best folks around. But when it gets busy and triage is required... well it is what it is.  I’ve had this exact conversation with them. I bought from them in the end and will do it again. 

A new boat is likely to have some issues. Hopefully they’re small. If they are moderate or more, then you first summer is gonna suck. 

Lightly used boats are going to start showing up in droves after the boat show next month and should have gremlins worked out. Grab one of those from WSA and then you don’t get the 2nd class citizen status.