Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

looking to get a foil "Recommendations"

LucasC

Wanting to give a Foil a try next season , Looking for recommendations, All our surf and skim boards are Phase 5 and love the brand , has anyone any experience with the phase 5 foil for a first foil.

Thanks Dan

Check out the wakefoil surfer group on FB... lots of good good good riders there and examples / guidance on setups.  As with most anything the analysis is going to depend on how much you want to spend.

We got a 2019 Slingshot WF1 package with the infinity 76 wing (which definitely seems to be the preferred wing on the FB group, over the gamma 68), which seems to be a good all round setup for normal sized people.  Only have 3 days on it but can definitely surf it in the first wake without the rope pretty much forever.  

On @isellacuras recommend we are riding with no ballast, no wedge, and speed as high as it'll go and still keep surfgate engaged (I think 13?).  the wave is soooooo long, and the fuel burn is so little.

I've only got 3 days on it and I can't wait for next season to come around.  

On the speed, you have to figure out what you like and how fast the foil wants to go. After experimenting on my new set up (slingshot infinity 84cm front, 48cm rear, 28” mast and 4’6” dwarfcraft board) I actually like a little slower (11ish) and my lighter crew likes it a little faster but not much. I also have a limited number of rides on the new setup, maybe 5, but I had been riding an OG wakefoil board which didn’t have nearly the lift the new board has. I think the smaller wings can tolerate a little more speed. So experiment and find out what you like. 

18 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I think the smaller wings can tolerate a little more speed. So experiment and find out what you like. 

Interesting.  Can you expand on this point? I found with ours (again in VERY limited experience) that I could surf 2nd wake at 10, but it was hard to find the sweet spot.  First wake going faster was nice because it provided more "run out room" to slow down before accelerating into the boat.  Even at 13 I seemed to have no problem falling out the back unless I'm way way back into the wash.  

I found surfing first wake that there's a big lift spot at the wake.  If not careful and ready for it, it would send me shooting up and breach the foil.  But if i am ready and anticipating the lift,  I would basically dip into the wake with a lot of front foot pressure (keeping foil down)for some speed, carve outside to burn the speed (transitioning weight back a bit to get more lift), turn back to the wake for more speed / lift, repeat.

haha clearly I think about what I want to try on this thing next season ALL THE TIME.

the Second wake has been a bit tricky for me. Part of the reason is that you can’t see it like the first wave. We are so used to surfing that we know where to be on the First wave to find the push.  The physics are the same for first wave foiling. The power from the second wave is way further back than I expected it. I kept trying to ride to close to the boat while my buddy found success waaaaaay back. As for the wings, the bigger the wing the slower the speed, the smaller, the faster. Look at the race kite foils, they are like a sliver compared to our surf wings. I noticed that my old set up liked to be surfed at 14ish and the new one 10-11 and I attribute that to the smaller size wing. The 84 and 76 aren’t quite as different as the 84 to the old wakefoil but The 76 is small enough to have a sweet spot just slightly faster than the 84. But then again, it’s all personal preference just like some like to surf at 10.6 and others at 12. I just know that my 84 set up becomes a monster at 13-14 mph because it has so much power and becomes twitchy so it is hard to control. 

Edited by isellacuras