Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis T22 on Lake Travis Questions

pr0jektcha0s

I have some more questions on our quest to purchase a boat. So we’ll be mainly on Lake Travis and Lake Austin. Travis can get choppy as many of you know. I recently asked about whether to go with a 2018 Malibu 21 MLX or a 2019 Axis T22. 

Now my question is for those that own a T22 or A22 on Lake Travis. I’ve taken the tour of boat manufactures and we are down to the 2019 Axis T22 and the 2020 MB 21 B52. We’ve taken them out to demo and like them both. I do feel the B52 handled the chop better because of its deep V Hull. I’m getting a really nice deal on the Axis T22 so we’re leaning toward that because I don’t know if the difference was enough to justify the difference in price. 

For those with the A22/T22 on Lake Travis, are you happy with how they handle the waters? I know this is a Malibu/Axis board so I’m not looking to compare the and MB to an Axis. Just want overall satisfaction of your purchase on the local water. 

No experience on travis.  However, Other than my 247, my '19 A22 handles chop as well as any boat I've had.  If the MB is 21, yet has a deeper V, I'd bet they are very close but could see 52 being better.  But if you're buying a boat for chop ride, you're in the wrong category completely to be honest.  I have a '19 for sale if you're int'd.  $74ish.  loaded up 3/4 way (heater, lights, SP2,white tower, flake, bed liner trailer coating, etc.).  If int'd, quote this as I still haven't straightened out my renewal.

What are your intentions behind the boat? When demoing, make sure you ride behind them as well. Lake Travis is always choppy unless early morning or late evening from my recollection. Ski boats in general are not rough water boats. Lake Austin is way better up river (water is cold but less traffic and butter ;) )  but don't know your logistics.  I would expand your horizons on your question to people on any big lakes as they all seem to get "choppy" to me rough lol. 

Going to be primarily surfing. I’m sure we’ll be on Lake Austin a great deal for wake surfing but there several spots around Travis that are good. I’m more interested in general ride quality. I still have to drive around the lake. 

My 247 LSV on Travis out in open water still gets rough, and that's a 25 foot boat.  I've been boating on Travis for years, motor and sail, and unless you have your boat in a marina I promise you there are WAY better lakes within an hours drive.  Sure, Travis is the defacto "party" spot, but if all day surfing and boarding is what you want then there is no better lake in the area that Belton.  Depending on your location, it could be an hour drive or more, but the benefit certainly outweighs the negative.  There are a fraction of the boats, the lake is about as big, and there is always smooth water to be found.  LBJ also beats Travis out for better water, but can get crowded quick.  Buchanan isn't too bad if the wind isn't up, but can also get rough.  Lake Austin is just way too crowded and way to narrow for my taste, plus if you aren't sporting a $150k plus boat you're getting dirty looks!  :lol:

Edited by jonthefireman
spelling
2 hours ago, pr0jektcha0s said:

There some snooty boat people, for sure. I haven’t been to Belton yet so thanks for the info. I live in Leander. Have you been in Lake Georgetown?

So I live in Liberty Hill, which puts us within an hour from just about all the hill country lakes.  Yes, we used to frequent Gtown a lot before the population boom.  It's a very small lake, and gets crazy crowded in the summer.  The water level also tends to always be on the low side, which quickly puts the majority of the boat ramp docks out of service.  We were just out back in late October and my wife had to swim out to the boat due to the low level.  However, if you are looking for a weekday spot it's not bad.  Lake Belton is truly my "go to" lake the majority of the time.  There are a number of parks, both Army Corp Engineer and city, we mainly use Temple Lake Park which has great ramps and docks.