Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommend a good USCG vest for tall people

Nitrousbird

I'm 6'3", 205lbs.  My current vest is a 2014 O'Neill Revenge.  My only issues with it are it is showing some wear (5+ years of use will do that) and it is a little big for me, as I ordered it when I was 20lbs heavier.  I would buy another today if they still made them.  My buddy liked the design so much that he bought one for himself; larger one as he is 6'5" and into the 300's when he bought it.  

Black Friday sales, wife asking what I want for Xmas = good time to buy.  What is out there today that is suited for us tall folks?  I want something long enough to not have my belly poking out and looking life a half shirt.  There are a number of comp vests that meet that need but I have a comp vest as well and prefer a well fitting USCG vest.  Please short and average height people, don't tell me what you wear unless you can confirm it is actually a good length for TALL people.

Bonus points for hidden buckles like my Revenge has.  Here is what I am currently wearing: 

revenge-red-large.jpg

ahopkins22LSV

I got an O'Neill Assault last spring and really like it. I am 6'1" 175-180 and the large is a bit big on me. Would probably be a good fit on you.

https://www.evo.com/wakeboard-vests/oneill-assault-ls-uscg-vest#image=90428/481853/o-neill-assault-ls-uscg-wakeboard-vest-2019-.jpg

Edit: Shoot, sorry it appears EVO only has XXL in stock.

Radar X vests are a decent length, both my son and I have them.  I am 6ft 180-185 and he is 6ft 2 - 175 lbs (was around 165 when we bought his).   They have a very athletic fit, so if you have a beer belly at all they are not a good fit.

Excellent impact protection - buckles are not hidden.

This is the most recent version, both of ours are the previous version but they look pretty much the same.  Sizewise - mine is a large and his is a medium - he's 23 and has been filling out more and will likely need a large next season.

https://www.wakemakers.com/radar-x-vest-2-cga-life-jacket-2019.html?530=26840&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-KshAqD0E85xyRLH6ddfr--e7XUhSi_FMpv2vwr7Ltf3Z1bl7piqqkaApAFEALw_wcB

Life vests are one of those things that I don't like to buy online though - like to make sure they fit right.  So I wind up paying a little more and buying local.

Edited by oldjeep
  • 3 months later...

Wife got me a O'Neill Reactor in an XL for my birthday yesterday.  Nice vest, great price, fit is awful.  Compared my my XL Revenge, this thing fits like a 3XL AND it is way too short.  It is going back.

• 5 weeks later...

Have you checked out the newest Ronix Capella CGA vest?  I picked up the Supreme and the fit is much longer than most vests.  Could work well.

image.png.d2477041222b7f39c3b351a3a6a6426b.png

On 4/21/2020 at 12:00 PM, theloungelife said:

Have you checked out the newest Ronix Capella CGA vest?  I picked up the Supreme and the fit is much longer than most vests.  Could work well.

image.png.d2477041222b7f39c3b351a3a6a6426b.png

I have had my eye on those.  Next on the list (in a different color scheme for me) for me to probably buy at this point.  I like O'Neill stuff but after buying (and returning) and O'Neill Assault as well due to being too short (but sizing was correct), it seems they no longer sell jackets for us tall folk.

20 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I have had my eye on those.  Next on the list (in a different color scheme for me) for me to probably buy at this point.  I like O'Neill stuff but after buying (and returning) and O'Neill Assault as well due to being too short (but sizing was correct), it seems they no longer sell jackets for us tall folk.

I would give these a try for sure.  It's the tallest vest, cga or comp, that I have had on.  Previous to this I was in a Mystic Majestic comp vest.  Here are the other colors.  Between models, they are all pretty much the same, with the slight exception of the RXT having "Air Foam".  I tried them all on and I actually felt like the "Air Foam" made the vest feel stiffer than the other 3, which I didn't like.

image.thumb.png.177ef0d9e7ac680c1a5ee6e39a144346.png