Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing etiquette

Ronnie

55 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

They learned that 20 yrs ago here in Cali. Don’t count on the permit or whatever helping. They will still shut it down. Don’t make the mistake we have hear. Go to every meeting. Call your legislatures. Be vocal. Be the louder voice. They shut down a large portion of Glamis many years ago over The Milk etch plant that no one had done any research on. After many years of research and lots of money they finally got a great portion reopened and left some closed for a compromise. Some of the SoCal boys will be way more knowledgeable on this than myself. 

:plus1:   I stay involved in my area. Township, county, and the lake association. It can be a pain at times but all in all it pays big in the end!  We would not have a lake today if many of us weren't very involved. Our lake as well as three others are a chain and all made power. The guy who owned the lakes lost his license to make power on our lake and only had a few more years before he would lose the other lakes. So his answer for our lake was to drop the lake 8' and he then did not need to have staff to watch over the dams and power house. It mad our lake not able to support sports. It had tree stumps showing all over and many more just under the water. We just signed papers to buy all four lakes and bottom land. Set up laws for water levels and working on keeping the power on three of the lakes and looking at the cost to gt power back on our lake. Another 5 or more years of work but it can pay many of the bills. From what I have seen in the past 17 years you don't want to let the governments to make all the decisions without watching very very close. They are not doing things for all but more often what benefits a voting block or easy, covers one's a$$.

• Like 3
On 1/7/2020 at 5:32 AM, NWBU said:

Yes, they’ve set up several surf zones in a 20 mile stretch of the river and you’ll have to display this decal on both sides of the boat to use them. Same requirement for wakeboarding but that entire area is opened back up to wakeboard now.

The whole idea is still being challenged at the legislative level by groups that want to see all wake boats go away. They’ve learned you can shut anything down in this state by saying there’s an environmental impact. Which is why I’m ok with the class as long as we can keep a compromise.

15C46884-52BA-45D5-9ABA-C186428EE502.jpeg.eb9a2b9e6862eec51080a7559d8eada4.jpeg

Agree with the thread on wake surfing etiquette is very important which MOST wake board boats follow when I am on the river.  I have routinely used the "Newburg Pool" for years.  

But now this new Newburg Pool "regulation "is over the top for just ONE section of just ONE river in the whole state!   Wow now what stops Oregon bureaucrats from expanding this to other sections of the river, other rivers,  lakes through out the state???   Nothing... 

Read the fine print -  $60 per driver then only good for 2 years!  Another dumb hidden tax for  99% law abiding citizens\boaters.  The new rules were put into place middle of last year.  No broad education program.  I had dig on the internet to find the new reg.   We followed the new regs to the letter.  Thought it was a great compromise. 

This is not a compromise this is now over reaction.   Most of the time last season I was out on the river did not see the Sheriff.   Why did they not bliz the ramps with info and provide training last year on the changes.  

Education is important but adding ugly stickers on the side of our boat, having an additional renewable towable boat license for each driver to pay and carry in the boat is stupid.  So done with Oregon over taxing.  On top of this boat reg fee doubled this year too....   

Careful this could be coming to a waterway near you.  Will we have to take training courses for every river and lake with multiple permits and stickers all over the boat for each place we put our boat in the water?   Come on Oregon we should be better than that.....  

Edited by ORMailbuboater
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Come on Oregon we should be better than that.....  

I generally agree with you 100%, and we should meet up on the water sometime. The only reason I'm somewhat ok with the compromise is that the other side is working full time, with lobbyists and staff attorneys, to shut it down completely, and they're not willing to consider any middle ground in the working group that's been formed on this. 

As to Oregon, there's a reason you'll never see me rocking the new Gatorstep Oregon/Malibu "M" logo on my boat. Born and raised here but I've got an exit plan.

9 hours ago, NWBU said:

I generally agree with you 100%, and we should meet up on the water sometime. The only reason I'm somewhat ok with the compromise is that the other side is working full time, with lobbyists and staff attorneys, to shut it down completely, and they're not willing to consider any middle ground in the working group that's been formed on this. 

As to Oregon, there's a reason you'll never see me rocking the new Gatorstep Oregon/Malibu "M" logo on my boat. Born and raised here but I've got an exit plan.

That is really sad. Born and raised here too. I have a problem when we start excluding people/boaters rather than including them....

One thing to add to this - some boaters / surfers honestly don't know any better.  Surfing is growing very rapidly here - and some don't have the "tribal knowledge" of what evening bare footing is let alone how to approach.

And good gawd - keep that sticker stuff away from North Carolina.  WOW....  :bash:

I see this whole issue as going the wrong way, don't see anything other then bad outcome down the road. The boats keep getting bigger with bigger waves. Not as big an issue on many of the huge lakes and reservoirs but the boats are showing up on small lakes that never see wave action this level. As many have said some just don't even give thought about the wake other then what they see on the board.  I rode along with one of my bud's last year on a surf run last fall and payed a lot of attention to the people on shore or other boats and I did not see many happy faces. Our lake is 2,000 acres but very narrow in many areas. We fit into a lake that has never seen wakes or waves as big as what is showing up now. I have spent quite some time over the last 13 years with Senators and congressmen dealing with other issues on our lake but this has come up and some would like to legislate and I know they do not have good knowledge on the issue. Rather then trying to respond to the other side. This is an issue that could be devastating to the industry!  But with that said I will continue to say wake boats are not the only boats contributing to this. Do yo trust legislators, states , and whomever to make good decisions to fix what many see as a problem!   

Edited by Sixball
typo 2,000 acer not 3,000
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Sixball said:

I see this whole issue as going the wrong way, don't see anything other then bad outcome down the road. The boats keep getting bigger with bigger waves. Not as big an issue on many of the huge lakes and reservoirs but the boats are showing up on small lakes that never see wave action this level. As many have said some just don't even give thought about the wake other then what they see on the board.  I rode along with one of my bud's last year on a surf run last fall and payed a lot of attention to the people on shore or other boats and I did not see many happy faces. Our lake is 3,000 acres but very narrow in many areas. We fit into a lake that has never seen wakes or waves as big as what is showing up now. I have spent quite some time over the last 13 years with Senators and congressmen dealing with other issues on our lake but this has come up and some would like to legislate and I know they do not have good knowledge on the issue. Rather then trying to respond to the other side. This is an issue that could be devastating to the industry!  But with that said I will continue to say wake boats are not the only boats contributing to this. Do yo trust legislators, states , and whomever to make good decisions to fix what many see as a problem!   

TOTALLY.  most of the lakes we go to are public reservoirs that don't have houses on them.  But not all of them are huge.  A couple of the smaller ones are frequented by fishermen in jonboats in the mornings.   It's one thing for a tiny ski wake to rock past them on occasion, but a completely different thing for a surf wave.  Yes, cruisers can put out similar wakes when plowing slow.  But these are tiny lakes that a cruiser isn't ever going to be launched on.

On 1/9/2020 at 1:35 PM, NWBU said:

. The only reason I'm somewhat ok with the compromise is that the other side is working full time, with lobbyists and staff attorneys, to shut it down completely, and they're not willing to consider any middle ground in the working group that's been formed on this. 

This is just the beginning. How do you eat an elephant? 
“One bite at a time”. You guys need to stand your ground NOW!!  Get all your friends to go and show them that you are voters as well.  

9 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

“One bite at a time”. You guys need to stand your ground NOW!!  Get all your friends to go and show them that you are voters as well.  

Voters with $... 

49 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

We are, and it’s been quite active on our side. 

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

Voters with $... 

You don’t even necessarily need$$. We are fighting some issues on the Dirty D right now. (Homeless living on boats shore etc). Trust me these aren’t all people with $ That are fighting   Just people who care and we are starting to make a difference. Slowly but surely. 

I used to think the big wakeboard/surf wakes wasn't that big of a deal, thinking folks were blowing things out of proportion a bit.  Then I went to Norris Lake last summer and realized what everyone is talking about.  Simply unreal the amount of big wake boats and accompanying wakes, and I was starting to understand.  But then one day late last summer on the little Rock River here in NW Illinois it happened.  Someone visiting from WI (according to the registration numbers) had a Malibu M235 on our little, narrow 12 mile section of the river.  I was trick skiing and my driver literally had to take defensive action against that wake.  Later in the day it cruised past the house several times....biggest wake of any boat that's ever gone past my house.  Crashing over my dock and seawall (neighbors too) leaving me to think I'd have to do some reinforcing if that was a normal occurrence on any given day.

However, I still don't think it tops a sustained wind of 35-40 mph out of just the right direction in terms of destructive power.  I have to think Mother Nature is also more harsh on shorelines where all of this "wake legislation" is taking place.

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2020 at 2:02 PM, Sethro said:

I used to think the big wakeboard/surf wakes wasn't that big of a deal, thinking folks were blowing things out of proportion a bit.  Then I went to Norris Lake last summer and realized what everyone is talking about.  Simply unreal the amount of big wake boats and accompanying wakes, and I was starting to understand.  But then one day late last summer on the little Rock River here in NW Illinois it happened.  Someone visiting from WI (according to the registration numbers) had a Malibu M235 on our little, narrow 12 mile section of the river.  I was trick skiing and my driver literally had to take defensive action against that wake.  Later in the day it cruised past the house several times....biggest wake of any boat that's ever gone past my house.  Crashing over my dock and seawall (neighbors too) leaving me to think I'd have to do some reinforcing if that was a normal occurrence on any given day.

However, I still don't think it tops a sustained wind of 35-40 mph out of just the right direction in terms of destructive power.  I have to think Mother Nature is also more harsh on shorelines where all of this "wake legislation" is taking place.

It's the force vs work vs power vs energy physics argument.  While 1,000 wind-blown waves might have the same cumulative energy as a couple wake boat waves, that energy is distributed over a larger time period.  It takes power, not energy, to be destructive.  That's energy over time.