Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing etiquette

Ronnie

• 1 month later...

So, why the middle of the lake? We surf on an unhiabited lake, so there is no issue with docks, boats, etc on the shore line. We try to surf with the big wave hitting the shore so that we do not send rollers across the lake. I am sure this is bad for erosion, but seems nicer to other folks on the lake.

5 hours ago, bkearney said:

So, why the middle of the lake? We surf on an unhiabited lake, so there is no issue with docks, boats, etc on the shore line. We try to surf with the big wave hitting the shore so that we do not send rollers across the lake. I am sure this is bad for erosion, but seems nicer to other folks on the lake.

As a dawn slalom guy I don't really care that much if you're surfing along a shoreline or 500 yards out.  If you're surfing a line that's sending rollers my way, my day is done regardless.  However, there are ways to share lakes.  If someone is skiing in a cove, don't surf across the mouth of the cove.  If someone is skiing on a N-S line and you're on a wide lake E-W, surf E-W but don't "cross the T."

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

On public lakes, though I'd like everyone to be respectful and courteous to what's going on, it's just not really realistic. 

This is what drove competitive waterskiing to private lakes and private lakes (IMO) helped kill off waterskiing as a mainstream sport.  It sucks but it is what it is.  

It is a lot easier to be courteous on a lake than it is on a river. Like @shawndoggy mentioned,I kind of had to give up trying to be uber courteous when my line is only a couple hundred yards wide in a wet year. As mentioned, compound that with lake lice circling you like vultures trying to jump your wave,  boats anchored center mass of the channel fishing and the cretins who want to be mad because I didn’t see their camo boat tied up in the trees when I was trying to avoid a 60 mph bass boat skipping across the water like a rock and it’s a wonder I haven’t come back to a trashed truck and trailer. Forgot to mention all of the crap that collects on the high side of the dam to eventually make its way down stream in massive piles that I have to try to avoid. Avoid one to upset another. Seems to be true that no good deed goes unpunished.

We ski early. We make the effort to get out and done before most activates start on the lake. The one thing a skier can not beat is fishermen. For the most part they are not an issue. Skiing at the level many serious slalom skier ski will only ski a short time and give the lake back to the rest. To ski the level we do we need good water. For the most part I don't think most people do not understand the need for slalom skiing! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wdr said:

It is a lot easier to be courteous on a lake than it is on a river. Like @shawndoggy mentioned,I kind of had to give up trying to be uber courteous when my line is only a couple hundred yards wide in a wet year. As mentioned, compound that with lake lice circling you like vultures trying to jump your wave,  boats anchored center mass of the channel fishing and the cretins who want to be mad because I didn’t see their camo boat tied up in the trees when I was trying to avoid a 60 mph bass boat skipping across the water like a rock and it’s a wonder I haven’t come back to a trashed truck and trailer. Forgot to mention all of the crap that collects on the high side of the dam to eventually make its way down stream in massive piles that I have to try to avoid. Avoid one to upset another. Seems to be true that no good deed goes unpunished.

Yeah, rivers are nice in that most waves dissipate to the shore, and you don't get as much of the kids playing in a bathtub type water that lakes get in the afternoons but the full force of your wave is going to be closer to more boats. I'm still trying to be courteous and will drop a rider most days we're out to avoid being seen as a jerk, especially for any low-riding aluminum boats with old guys that act like they've never seen a wake boat before or for early morning skiers.

But when there's >150 miles of navigable waterway here, and we're only given a couple mile stretch of the river to legally surf on, I'm going to surf on by if the boat can handle it, it's after 9am and I'm giving them the required separation. Go fish the other 148 miles.

• Like 3

Some people just have zero respect. If someone is skiing keep you distance especially if it's early morning and there is room to go elsewhere. But also realize its ok if surfers take the some calm water too, I'm constantly out on the water with pro surfers all the way down to first timers and there is a time and a place for each. 

Was out this past weekend on lake pleasant which is a huge lake, been surfing in this smaller sheltered area tucked inside an island. After being there for a couple hours this older Mastercraft comes along and starts surfing in circles around one of the further out islands, sending all its waves right into us. Completely ruining the water for both my group and himself. I would understand if it was a crazy windy or busy day but it is Arizonas coldest time and the lake is dead. Sometimes all it takes is a little common sense. 

5 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I've found most folks are really cooperative if you simply talk to them politely.

The early morning crew yes. The late afternoon crew. Not so much. I am not a early morning person, however I could align with them very easy. I am also the first boater to drop off plane. NO WAKE when I see a skier coming or a wakeboarder doing flips coming down the channel. I just love to see either of these ride.  😎

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, NWBU said:

Yeah, rivers are nice in that most waves dissipate to the shore, and you don't get as much of the kids playing in a bathtub type water that lakes get in the afternoons but the full force of your wave is going to be closer to more boats. I'm still trying to be courteous and will drop a rider most days we're out to avoid being seen as a jerk, especially for any low-riding aluminum boats with old guys that act like they've never seen a wake boat before or for early morning skiers.

But when there's >150 miles of navigable waterway here, and we're only given a couple mile stretch of the river to legally surf on, I'm going to surf on by if the boat can handle it, it's after 9am and I'm giving them the required separation. Go fish the other 148 miles.

Looks like you guys are getting forced into taking a class and throwing a decal on your boat just to be able to surf and wakeboard? 

6 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Looks like you guys are getting forced into taking a class and throwing a decal on your boat just to be able to surf and wakeboard? 

Yes, they’ve set up several surf zones in a 20 mile stretch of the river and you’ll have to display this decal on both sides of the boat to use them. Same requirement for wakeboarding but that entire area is opened back up to wakeboard now.

The whole idea is still being challenged at the legislative level by groups that want to see all wake boats go away. They’ve learned you can shut anything down in this state by saying there’s an environmental impact. Which is why I’m ok with the class as long as we can keep a compromise.

15C46884-52BA-45D5-9ABA-C186428EE502.jpeg.eb9a2b9e6862eec51080a7559d8eada4.jpeg

• Like 1

we are lucky that we have lots of lesser used poor mans rivers or commercial intercoastals ( all if which are much less wide than what you all are describing but always less busy than the money rivers yo the north of our unusable lake).  

down here the biggest complainers are surfers in wakeboats they cant/wont wakeboard behind that are pissed your surfing or riding on “their” section of the river,  spoiled rotten and they cant surf well or ride at all

Edited by granddaddy55
17 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Yes, they’ve set up several surf zones in a 20 mile stretch of the river and you’ll have to display this decal on both sides of the boat to use them. Same requirement for wakeboarding but that entire area is opened back up to wakeboard now.

The whole idea is still being challenged at the legislative level by groups that want to see all wake boats go away. They’ve learned you can shut anything down in this state by saying there’s an environmental impact. Which is why I’m ok with the class as long as we can keep a compromise.

15C46884-52BA-45D5-9ABA-C186428EE502.jpeg.eb9a2b9e6862eec51080a7559d8eada4.jpeg

This is honestly about the dumbest thing i have heard yet. What stops the fool in he cabin cruiser from plowing along at 10 mph throwing a giant wave in both directions. On our lake we have cruisers up to 40' long now, they always seem to go about 10 mph, and are usually looking at shore from about 250' off shore. We have plenty of surf boats on our lake now, and most of them prefer to stay away from shore, which is great. From what i have seen, its the weekend or transient boaters that cause the biggest issues, and most aren't surfing, yet.

How does your course and sticker help with these idiots?

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, COOP said:

Plenty of surfers dont adhere to this list. 

Everyone is probably guilty of one of these things at one point or another. But if most people would at least try to follow this list when they're on the water, it would make for a better experience for all of us.

Edited by Kojak

Last summer my daughter comes running in the house "hey can we go tubing?!?" with two friends (that she likely wants to show off to).  It's light out, but the sun has just gone over the trees on the west side of the lake, not much time left.  I said "sure, you guys suit up, grab the vests and tube and I'll meet you at the boat".  So I get it uncovered/lowered/warmed up, they arrive and I attach the tube, look around as I'm pulling out and there isn't a soul on the lake.  As I make my first run 200 yards later I see a boat at the shore, it's my buddy with the rope uncoiling and he is in the water getting ready to slalom.  I wave.  He does not.  I know he's got to me a little mad, likely waiting/hoping for that end of the day calm water and here I come along.  I texted him later apologizing and he admitted that he was like "really?  REALLY?", cuz he knows that I know the struggle as a barefooter.  I used it as a teaching moment to my daughter, and told her next time we let the slalom guy have the lake, just like I'd like it if I had my barefoot suit on.  She totally understood.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, NWBU said:

hey’ve learned you can shut anything down in this state by saying there’s an environmental impact. Which is why I’m ok with the class as long as we can keep a compromise.

They learned that 20 yrs ago here in Cali. Don’t count on the permit or whatever helping. They will still shut it down. Don’t make the mistake we have hear. Go to every meeting. Call your legislatures. Be vocal. Be the louder voice. They shut down a large portion of Glamis many years ago over The Milk etch plant that no one had done any research on. After many years of research and lots of money they finally got a great portion reopened and left some closed for a compromise. Some of the SoCal boys will be way more knowledgeable on this than myself. 

1 hour ago, Sparky450 said:

They learned that 20 yrs ago here in Cali. Don’t count on the permit or whatever helping. They will still shut it down. Don’t make the mistake we have hear. Go to every meeting. Call your legislatures. Be vocal. Be the louder voice. They shut down a large portion of Glamis many years ago over The Milk etch plant that no one had done any research on. After many years of research and lots of money they finally got a great portion reopened and left some closed for a compromise. Some of the SoCal boys will be way more knowledgeable on this than myself. 

When we successfully lobbied the state of Wisconsin to kill their antiquated spotter laws, what helped was data data data.  Data on the impacts of a spotter (usually a young kid) on safety (it's actually negative).  Data on lost revenues by people who would boat elsewhere (my wife and I don't have kids and to be legal would have had to go to Minnesota instead of vacationing on Wisconsin lakes) etc.  Good luck!