Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 Malibu 21 MLX vs 2019 Axis T22/A22

pr0jektcha0s

Hey folks, my first post as I just joined. My wife and are buying our first boat, primarily for wake surfing with some wake skating on occasions. we are looking at new boats for the warranties that are offered at end of year. 

We are going to be storing this in our garage that is 23’ deep so we were looking at the Axis A22 and T22. Largest boat I can get that will fit with trailer. We are leaning toward the T22 because they have one in a color scheme we love. However, they have a leftover 2018 Malibu 21 MLX in a similar color scheme. 

I’d like your opinions on which way to go. The pricing for both fits in our budget which is to say they are close in price. 

The T22 has PW3, full PNP which is a must for us. Malibu the same but PW2. So they are similarly equipped otherwise, like sound systems. 

The dealer has pointed out the beam on the Axis is 102” compared to MLX 98”. Please fire away with any relevant info that could help make a decision. 

Thanks all! 

You will be removing swim Platform and putting down wedge and folding tongue and I still don’t think you’ll fit especially if the trailers have the transom step on the 22’s, 21 May barely fit ,  I would do a demo garage run with tower down and really see if they will fit

We have taken the measurements for the boats. We’ve already accepted we will need to take off the platform and we have 3” to spare on the A22/T22 and a little more with the MLX. Tower down we have enough room to back it in. 

20 minutes ago, pr0jektcha0s said:

We have taken the measurements for the boats. We’ve already accepted we will need to take off the platform and we have 3” to spare on the A22/T22 and a little more with the MLX. Tower down we have enough room to back it in. 

Then my vote is a bigger cheaper boat that does the same thing but a little better,  now if your not getting pw3 in the A or T then I might vote MLX

42 minutes ago, onwi said:

Just FYI - the 2020 Axis line has a new assisted tower.  As someone who trailers every time I take the boat out, I see this as a big improvement. 

No doubt, I have the 2 gen older fatax tower with knobs and removable stansions with 2 fixed titan tacks per stansion , 

we go up and down each weekend snd it’s the worse part of process 

when I installed tower speakers my plan was two rev8’s and one 410 in the middle 

after I installed just the 8’s with 410 to come later , my wife said to  27 more pounds, “NO” or she would quit helping me put it up 

I can put it down by myself but it’s no small feat, going up it was virtually impossible with my fatax and the stansions like medieval battle ax’s just itching to scar the boat if they can  ( 8 pointed corners from  2 racks per stansion  and the legs themselves are all 90 degree angles to all surfaces, nothing rounded 

next gen tower better but this improvement should help even more

supposedly the Fatax was a “spring” or assisted tower but you wouldn’t know it

Edited by granddaddy55

Wow, thanks for all the good info. It sounds like sticking with the Axis may be the smart decision. 

One more question, the T22 is a black/blue hull which we love but I know it shows everything. Would I regret going with black? The interior fiberglass is black. Vinyl is blue and grey which we also like. 

Well, when you're shopping in-stock boats, you get what you get. Black looks cool, but it's definitely going to show every single fingerprint and scratch. Really depends on how much you care about the overall look (some people just LOVE black hulls), how good you are with a buffer and how OCD you are about seeing blemishes.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:47 AM, pr0jektcha0s said:

Wow, thanks for all the good info. It sounds like sticking with the Axis may be the smart decision. 

One more question, the T22 is a black/blue hull which we love but I know it shows everything. Would I regret going with black? The interior fiberglass is black. Vinyl is blue and grey which we also like. 

I just bought a leftover 21 mlx in july and absolutely love it. It is primarily black. I trailer after every ride and even with wiping it down every time, you forever see water spots. The water dries on the black before we can even get up the ramp. Even paid extra for a protective spray.. don’t think it helped at all. Our lake does have a lot of lime too which doesn’t help matters. Looking ahead I won’t get black next time. But no complaints about the mlx. I love the pickle fork bow. Gives a considerable amount of extra room up front

ahopkins22LSV
26 minutes ago, Heatherb17 said:

I just bought a leftover 21 mlx in july and absolutely love it. It is primarily black. I trailer after every ride and even with wiping it down every time, you forever see water spots. The water dries on the black before we can even get up the ramp. Even paid extra for a protective spray.. don’t think it helped at all. Our lake does have a lot of lime too which doesn’t help matters. Looking ahead I won’t get black next time. But no complaints about the mlx. I love the pickle fork bow. Gives a considerable amount of extra room up front

Have you tried using boat bling hot sauce as you are wiping down? Also getting a good wax or sealant on the hull will make a big difference too.

I’m waiting to hear back from the dealer with better pricing on the 2018 MLX. I’m hoping they will make me an offer I can’t refuse. The wider beam of the T22 is very appealing, though, and it is slightly larger boat. We’re on vacation cruising for two weeks so we have a little time to decide. 

Make sure you add surfpipe in the buy deal on MlX if it doesn’t have it, indmar Raptor louder than Malibu or PCM motor in Axis, if Axis has PW it has one already

as the owner of a small 20 ft, bigger is better!!!! Even if you don’t have a crew

Edited by granddaddy55
6 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Make sure you add surfpipe in the buy deal on MlX if it doesn’t have it, indmar Raptor louder than Malibu or PCM motor in Axis, if Axis has PW it has one already

as the owner of a small 20 ft, bigger is better!!!! Even if you don’t have a crew

Thanks for that info. Luckily they are both similarly equipped with PW, full PNP, and surf pipe. 

I’d be interested in opinions of PCM vs Raptor. I kind of looked at the Raptor as the better more powerful motor. Is that a good assumption?

No. But after o2 sensor  issues  supposedly resolved the Raptor is powerful , dependable but louder and PCM is a known winner after a rough intro a few years back in Axis

I was in an 18 Raptor with a high torque prop cruising not very fast snd you need the stereo to drown it out but I admit this is my only exposure to it,  I think it had surf pipe big not sure 

Edited by granddaddy55
  • 3 weeks later...

Well we are back from vacation and the dealer brought the T22 for a garage fit and we are off by about 2 inches. So the T22 is out which leaves me with some decisions. The 2018 Malibu 21 MLX is still available and we also love the 2020 MB 21 B52. The MB dealer brought the 21 B52 over and it was not an issue. We are assuming the 21 MLX won't be a problem either. I know this is a Malibu forum so, once again, not looking for digs on other brands but there are both very nice boats. However, the Malibu is a 2018 leftover and the MB is 2020 and they are exactly the same price. We are struggling to decide but my heart is leaning toward a 2020 MB. What are your experiences with these boats?