Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does the 2020 Malibu OS have gps and maps?

potterm

I use the gps maps on my 2017 when I navigate at night.   I’m curious what the process is for gps maps on the new Malibu OS.  Do you have to add an extra option for the gps antenna?  Do you have to buy a Navionics map card sperately?

When I built mine the dealer/owner suggested that I don't check that block and to buy the Navionics set up for my iPhone. He said he liked the phone set up better than the Malibu option. His opinion, I have no real world experience with it.

Does the Iphone app require you to have service?  Or does it have a separate GPS puck?  

My G23 had this as a standard feature and it was especially nice at Lake Powell because it even had lake depth built into it so that you could see when you were coming up on underwater obstacles.  The lake can fluctuate 40 feet from year to year so it was pretty cool to see the map detect what parts of the lake were now dry ground and vice versa.  

IIRC, it was a $1000 upgrade for the Malibu so I passed since I was being very cost conscious at the time.  

Edited by TallRedRider

Without service the app would no better than looking at a paper map, so no depth or out of channel warnings. I have used Google maps in the dark as a pathfinder for me to stay in the channel on a couple of occasions.

As long as you've downloaded the maps for the areas you need before leaving cell service, or WIFI, the iPhone/iPad app will work as normal. The app runs off of the internal GPS of the iPhone/iPad, rather than the cell service, similar to aviation apps like ForeFlight or Garmin. 

Edited by NWBU
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, NWBU said:

As long as you've downloaded the maps for the areas you need before leaving cell service, or WIFI, the iPhone/iPad app will work as normal. The app runs off of the internal GPS of the iPhone/iPad, rather than the cell service, similar to aviation apps like ForeFlight or Garmin. 

Since I am a little slow...my phone uses GPS satellites?  I thought it knew my location by triangulating between cell phone towers.  Maybe I'm still in the year 2010.  

33 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Since I am a little slow...my phone uses GPS satellites?  I thought it knew my location by triangulating between cell phone towers.  Maybe I'm still in the year 2010.  

Yeah, they’re tracking you by GPS these days, rather than just the old cell tower triangulation method.

• Like 1

Since it now has it's own operating system you can download an app or two for maps. I don't believe Navionics is a choice, but there are other choices. As others stated, I'd just purchase the app on your phone.

On 11/27/2019 at 3:28 PM, NWBU said:

Yeah, they’re tracking you by GPS these days, rather than just the old cell tower triangulation method.

Phones only use "data" to find the route or a restaurant, or any destination.  From there, it's all GPS based and you don't need any service. I've used the apple maps in plenty of areas with no service and it still tells you when to turn  and all that. very cool.

• Like 1

Which app has anyone found to be best?  The stock screen on the Nautique was amazing.  It adjusted the map for changing lake levels, which is a big deal at Lake powell that can fluctuate 40 feet from year to year.  

2 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

Which app has anyone found to be best?  The stock screen on the Nautique was amazing.  It adjusted the map for changing lake levels, which is a big deal at Lake powell that can fluctuate 40 feet from year to year.  

This is the app I’ve been using for the past couple of years. I paid $10 which is the most I’ve ever paid for an app but totally worth it

9CADAD0E-C7B7-49CE-9487-686152B53360.png

19 hours ago, Suggy said:

Phones only use "data" to find the route or a restaurant, or any destination.  From there, it's all GPS based and you don't need any service. I've used the apple maps in plenty of areas with no service and it still tells you when to turn  and all that. very cool.

Apple maps was great on the water 

On 11/29/2019 at 3:33 PM, IXFE said:

This is the app I’ve been using for the past couple of years. I paid $10 which is the most I’ve ever paid for an app but totally worth it

9CADAD0E-C7B7-49CE-9487-686152B53360.png

I use this app too and agree it is worth it.

• 1 year later...

Are you guys able to get to the Navionics app in the Amazon store and download and use on the lower left screen?  I am unable to find it doing multiple searches.  

Any one else able to get any other app to download and function?

4 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

I boating app.

And you can get that one to load and run while heading down the lake?  Does your boat need wifi on to run the app on the left screen?  I think I tried that one and couldn't get it to load.

Edited by Five Cent Worth
16 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

And you can get that one to load and run while heading down the lake?  Does your boat need wifi on to run the app on the left screen?  I think I tried that one and couldn't get it to load.

Yes. You go on their site, create an account and just buy the maps for your area.

It loads them and operates, no WiFi needed.