Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tesla Cybertruck

UWSkier

1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

Um, not by a long shot. At one of the offices I work at, the 4 charging stations are constantly being used. Several immediate coworkers have Tesla’s, hard to drive a block without seeing an EV of some sort around here. 

4.1 million registered vehicles. Of those, about 3.2 million are passenger vehicles.  27,000 EVs.  That's .006% or 1:151

ahopkins22LSV

Even in the “motor city” of Detroit I’m seeing more and more charging stations. A lot of restaurants are even adding them. No clue if they are the Tesla fast charging stations but I bet I see 5-7 Tesla’s a week. 

Up on the northern section of Vancouver island, there’s a charging station in the middle of nowhere down a random road towards a logging camp. Money well spent :rockon:

The bigger cities they’re everywhere, Vancouver you see more Tesla’s downtown than civics. Kelowna is operating an Uber like taxi service strictly run with Tesla. 

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

4.1 million registered vehicles. Of those, about 3.2 million are passenger vehicles.  27,000 EVs.  That's .006% or 1:151

Eagle, assuming your raw numbers are correct, that's .84%...not .006%.  One per every 117 vehicles.  Are you really comparing Tesla market share to non-passenger vehicles?  

And what state/country are you referring to?

46 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Eagle, assuming your raw numbers are correct, that's .84%...not .006%.  One per every 117 vehicles.  Are you really comparing Tesla market share to non-passenger vehicles?  

And what state/country are you referring to?

Oregon. And I slipped some digits:  .66% (based on 4.1 MM)  27K BEVs is not a lot in over 4 milllion vehicles.

So I was looking at the list of charging stations and there is one in Clare, Michigan.  Yes Clare.  That is absolutely mind boggling to me and insanely ironic. The reason?  

Because Clare is a HUGE Amish population.  You can't drive through Clare without seeing Horse and buggies clomping down the road.  So on one hand you have a group of people using zero electricity (or so they claim) and right down the road a supercharging station with multiple chargers for one of the most technologically advanced vehicles on the road. 

I just wanted to share that.  Carry on gents....

13 hours ago, bamaboy said:

So I was looking at the list of charging stations and there is one in Clare, Michigan.  Yes Clare.  That is absolutely mind boggling to me and insanely ironic. The reason?  

Because Clare is a HUGE Amish population.  You can't drive through Clare without seeing Horse and buggies clomping down the road.  So on one hand you have a group of people using zero electricity (or so they claim) and right down the road a supercharging station with multiple chargers for one of the most technologically advanced vehicles on the road. 

That could be for all of the visitors to use.  Don't you go up to Amish country to tour the farm and buy genuine Amish goods like chairs and tables?  Maybe tour the kitchen also and buy genuine Amish bread and cakes?  I hear that they wait until you leave to swat all the flies.

15 hours ago, bamaboy said:

i love this post bama, so thank you :yahoo::lol: We are from Midland and our cottage is just 10 miles west of Clare. We stop ALL the time in Clare to eat and love seeing the Amish. I haven't seen the charging station there yet, so I'll have to keep my eye out

3 hours ago, Suggy said:

the Amish.

A few years ago my better half insisited that we needed a new dining room set.  Got one made by the Amish - dark stained cherry; it's really lovely.  5 figure cost though.  :(  I asked about how a group that eschews modern conveniences like electricty can operate the band saws, planers, etc. to make such stuff.  I was told they  put it in a shed off their property and just run power to the shop. That way, they are not REALLY using power.  :)

3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

A few years ago my better half insisited that we needed a new dining room set.  Got one made by the Amish - dark stained cherry; it's really lovely.  5 figure cost though.  :(  I asked about how a group that eschews modern conveniences like electricty can operate the band saws, planers, etc. to make such stuff.  I was told they  put it in a shed off their property and just run power to the shop. That way, they are not REALLY using power.  :)

And if they park the car in town, they are not really owning the car.

A friend grew up in Amish country and a lot of the boys did just that.  When they settled down, the car went to a younger sibling.

11 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I started watching Longmire on Netflix and there is an episode about this.

I actually watched the entire series. It started out slow, but after a couple episodes, we were hooked  and really liked it. 

• Like 1
On 11/30/2019 at 7:35 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

If I am reading this correctly the Tesla Model 3 SR+ is often (but not always) more expensive up front but has a cheaper 5 year cost of ownership. Depending on the car the better maintenance can outpace the upfront cost saving you money in the long run. This is similar to some of the numbers I ran when figuring out our Volt purchase. After running a bunch of number I came to the conclusion that for every 200k miles I was saving about $7500 in maintenance cost over an equivalently priced ICE, and this was with me putting only about 50% of the miles on it electric system.

The potential maintenance gains are real but the upfront sticker price + range anxiety can be scary for a lot of people. Hopefully as the industry matures it can address both of those reasonably.

Edit: By "maintenance" I meant total operating costs...bad wording.

Edited by LateNightSalami
29 minutes ago, LateNightSalami said:

After running a bunch of number I came to the conclusion that for every 200k miles I was saving about $7500 in maintenance cost over an equivalently priced ICE, and this was with me putting only about 50% of the miles on it electric system.

Saving $7500 in maint over 200K miles?  How does that break down?  Seems like the only thing you should be saving on is oil changes, air filters and spark plugs.

Edited by oldjeep
10 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Saving $7500 in maint over 200K miles?  How does that break down?  Seems like the only thing you should be saving on is oil changes, air filters and spark plugs.

I apologize for my wording. I should have said: $7500 in total operating costs. So basically maintenance + fuel. 

On 11/28/2019 at 10:45 PM, bamaboy said:

We have a warehouse in Hart, MI which is in Oceana county.  There is a charging station in Hart.  To provide some perspective, the entire county has one stoplight, which is also Hart.  The adjacent county has zero stoplights.  We're talking rural.  I mean, rural now....... tell you what.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:45 PM, bamaboy said:

The Doherty hotel has a number of charging stations. And you can have a nice dinner or two well you charge. Are you looking at public? I would think the campus might have some.  Nothing like plunging in you Amish horse I think they may get a tingle out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...