Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tesla Cybertruck

UWSkier

7 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

No, the use of the plural is correct here as it alludes to values, not a single trip.  Just sayin'.... as for 40 miles, that is two days of the average US commute.

You seem to get kilometers and miles mixed up.  40 km = 25 miles.  

My 28 minute commute to work (little longer home) is a little over 20 miles and I live in the burbs.  Not exactly a crazy drive.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

You seem to get kilometers and miles mixed up.  40 km = 25 miles. 

You need to pay closer attention.  If the average commute is 11 miles, that is 40 miles or so  in two days.  KM, Kms, no diff. after conversion.  Commute DISTANCES are shockingly short in the US' primay LMAs; the time to commute is a whole 'nother thing.

Regardless, the point is that a hybrid that can make it to work and back in a day is a winner.

To me, the inconvenience of having to wait while the batteries charge on a longer trip would be offset by not having to stop and get gas the rest of the year for local commuting.  Just charge up at home.

10 hours ago, Wavemaker said:

These are not Tesla chargers though.  They are super slow compared to a Super Charger as well.  

And isn’t the slow charger what most people encounter at the airport, on the way home from airport , snd on a trip up the CA coast?  Therefore the Tesla stories I alluded to above 

again isn’t a charging station at those prices a complete loser at $/sq ft of real estate if it can accommodate many cars and/or trucks with trailers because of the slow turnover of vehicles being charged and those ridiculous low rates your quoting 

therefore it will never be commercially viable at the charging station end without publicly (tax payer funded from those of us who use privately owned gas stations ) subsidized real estate and lots of it?

I really like space x as a private space vendor but where would Elon be without NASA’s publicly paid for data from 60 years and Obama’s subsidy to buy the car

wonder where wonder boy would be without those public leg ups 

Aren’t we burning natural gas and coal mainly to make that electricity with help from the nuclear stations ?

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, granddaddy55 said:

I really like space x as a private space vendor but where would Elon be without NASA’s publicly paid for data from 60 years and Obama’s subsidy to buy the car

wonder where wonder boy would be without those public leg ups 

Every single thing you do or use has benefited from government-funded R&D.  No matter what you can think of, the government has probably paid someone to study or develop it at some point.  For an obvious example, why do you suppose you can buy a 70" flat panel TV or fly across the country for a few hundred bucks? 

I’m astonished that there is that much interest in this truck. 

I can see the draw for a electric car. Not so for a truck, at least not in the near future. 

I think 200 mile range is wildly optimistic when towing. And that is what a truck is for in my eyes. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, justgary said:

Every single thing you do or use has benefited from government-funded R&D.  No matter what you can think of, the government has probably paid someone to study or develop it at some point.  For an obvious example, why do you suppose you can buy a 70" flat panel TV or fly across the country for a few hundred bucks? 

Ok but until wonder boy himself or gets a private funded entrepreneur to put up commercial charging stations by renting or buying the vast amount of real estate to do them , I’ll continue my skepticism of him and electric cars for towing and traveling 

and no, I don’t need rest on my trip to have fun, I need to get there and put my boat in water same day  so I’m on the water the next morning not just arriving that 2nd day

Edited by granddaddy55
5 minutes ago, RyanB said:

I’m astonished that there is that much interest in this truck. 

I can see the draw for a electric car. Not so for a truck, at least not in the near future. 

I think 200 mile range is wildly optimistic when towing. And that is what a truck is for in my eyes. 

Yea, AC , crew of 5 and 70 + miles an hour towing 6000+ lbs up hill going to mountain lakes  and I bet it gets 100 miles if that 

Edited by granddaddy55
10 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Yea, AC , crew of 5 and 70 + miles an hour towing 6000+ lbs up hill going to mountain lakes  and I bet it gets 100 miles if that 

You might not be off by much. I've seen numbers that say range is decremented by 1% per mile when towing with a Tesla X.  I guess the trailer will have to have batteries.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Yea, AC and 70 + miles an hour towing 6000+ lbs  and I bet it gets 100 miles 

Possibly.  But that 100 miles may well cover 90% of towing needs.  It would come very close to covering mine, at about 55 miles each way.  As for travel, I would rather rent a crappy boat or camper somewhere else than deal with hauling mine across the country.

And I think the "arrive refreshed" thing from my friend may be overstated also.  Not much difference in seven hours of driving and a two hour rest at the end before you are ready to play and the same seven hours of driving split into smaller chunks with rests.  Still nine hours before you really feel like yourself again.  Kind of a wash, and if the rest at the end includes friends or family you want to see, it's better than resting at some coffee shop near a charging station.

One possible exception to all of this is the concept of a retired couple taking a long road trip.  If you have nowhere in particular to be, resting here is as good as resting there.  That's about the only time I would consider a long tow (for example, a camper), and it might also encourage me to drive a little slower, which would also shorten the recharge times.  That's a foreign concept to me though, since I tend to be slightly more Type A+ and prefer to get there *now*.  Wherever there is.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You might not be off by much. I've seen numbers that say range is decremented by 1% per mile when towing with a Tesla X.  I guess the trailer will have to have batteries.

I'm hoping you mean 1% per MPH.  That would make sense, so 50 MPH towing would get you 50% range, and 70 MPH would get you 30% range.

28 minutes ago, justgary said:

This  pretty funny.  The last thing I need is bigger government.

2 minutes ago, MadMan said:

This  pretty funny.  The last thing I need is bigger government.

Of course.  But people never stop and look at all of the technology surrounding them and wonder why it is there in the first place.  A huge majority is because of government-funded R&D.  A decent chunk of our defense budget goes toward R&D that can be transferred into the private sector for non-defense use, and the DoD actively tries make that transfer happen.  Most government R&D is the same way.

And by the way, I think "wonder boy" is a bit weird, but I have a great deal of respect for people who have a vision and then figure out how to make it happen.  Elon's ability to have several visions and attempt to work them at the same time is actually impressive.  I have visions of things that I could do, but I think about them for a while and say, "that's a lot of hard work," then come back here and chat with you guys on the internet.  Long-term focus is key to getting any large project done, and some people manage to keep that focus.  I only wish I could.

People thought poorly of Jeff Bezos and Amazon because he "couldn't make a profit" for quite a few years.  They didn't notice that he was pouring all of the money back into his "online book store" to grow capacity and capability.  After a while he couldn't put all the money into the company and it started making a profit.  Now they say he makes too much money, even as they happily send money to him.  We shouldn't be jealous of innovation and success, we should learn from it.

I wonder what things like noise isolation are going to be like on the production version.  One thing I really like about my current GMC is how well sealed everything is.  It's really nice and quiet inside even at 80 MPH.

I imagine if you're going to get anywhere close to the figures they're stating, they are going to want you on highway low rolling resistance meats as well.

It's all about the 'mission'.  90%+ of the people that end up buying one of these 'trucks' will never tow a thing or drive it cross country, so they are good.

Towing a 7000 lb boat through a mountain pass to get to a lake and getting home is a mission best left for a conventional vehicle...at least for now.

The 12 mile real world range in my new PHEV seems preposterous on first glance, and you should see the looks I get when I tell people that range.  BUT...I drive 8 miles to work in stop and go traffic (where an electric vehicle shines), can charge there basically free, and drive 8 miles home and charge there with my Level 2 home charger in a couple hours...I always seem to have juice left in the battery.  Trips to the grocery store, Lowe's, etc. all fall within the range.  Anything outside that range and the engine starts and I continue on my way as long as there is gasoline in my tank.  So it fits my mission quite well.

Edited by RTS
  • Like 2
59 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Anyone else excited for the possibility that the Cybertruck can park itself at the boat launch?  Or potentially pick you up at the ramp?

I can see the Youtube channel now:  "Autonomous Boat Ramp Fails".  :)

1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

Anyone else excited for the possibility that the Cybertruck can park itself at the boat launch?  Or potentially pick you up at the ramp?

That is what the wife is for, no?  LOL

2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

again isn’t a charging station at those prices a complete loser at $/sq ft of real estate if it can accommodate many cars and/or trucks with trailers because of the slow turnover of vehicles being charged and those ridiculous low rates your quoting

I think the opposite.  Gas stations are already taking a loss when they sell gasoline.  They make this money up with coffee and soft-drinks, snacks, car washes, etc --- all of which have high margins.  Now your average customer is going to be there for 1-3 hours vs. 5-10 minutes?  Imagine the value that they can capture from having all those cars parked outside?

• Like 1