Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tesla Cybertruck

UWSkier

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'd say at 500 miles, range anxiety with no payload isn't much of a factor.  Even on a long trip that's enough range to take a break at a charging station.  What IS a factor is when you are towing; that range likely goes to half or less.  That becomes a BIG problem because even if there are easily available charging stations, most are pretty difficult to access with a trailer attached.  You would also be charging/stopping way more frequently than you would in a gasoline vehicle and for a much longer time.  That puts this out of contention for me, as I tow a long trip 1-2 times a year, in places where charging isn't really an option currently and long stops aren't either.  

Price of the truck is spot-on.  The look...too radical.  As for the stainless body, I'm fine with that and stainless can be painted (as I've seen on a couple local Delorean DMC-12's).  

The range seems somewhat better than my '05 F150/5.4L/4WD.  I don't know what kind of highway MPG I might get without towing because we never take the truck on the road unless we are towing something fairly large or heavy.  I haven't really calculated it, but my truck probably drops below 10 MPG when towing the toy hauler or the tractor at highway speeds (> 65 MPH). 

Based purely on the physics of the situation, this makes sense to me.  It also makes sense that any other truck has to fight the same physics, so I would expect very similar performance.  I don't think you would be stopping more frequently than with internal combustion, but you do have a point on charging with a trailer attached and availability of a station. 

The day will come (probably soon) when the charging ports on EVs will be standardized by law and every truck stop and corner station will then start to offer quick charging.  Until then, good planning is definitely in order.

28 minutes ago, justgary said:

The range seems somewhat better than my '05 F150/5.4L/4WD.  I don't know what kind of highway MPG I might get without towing because we never take the truck on the road unless we are towing something fairly large or heavy.  I haven't really calculated it, but my truck probably drops below 10 MPG when towing the toy hauler or the tractor at highway speeds (> 65 MPH). 

Based purely on the physics of the situation, this makes sense to me.  It also makes sense that any other truck has to fight the same physics, so I would expect very similar performance.  I don't think you would be stopping more frequently than with internal combustion, but you do have a point on charging with a trailer attached and availability of a station. 

The day will come (probably soon) when the charging ports on EVs will be standardized by law and every truck stop and corner station will then start to offer quick charging.  Until then, good planning is definitely in order.

Possibly the truck stops have the room but in terms of available commercial real estate this is a loser $/sq ft

ok,  so I’m going from NOLA to Lake Norris and now I need to plan in a 4-12 hour stop or more???????? to complete my journey in  now what may become 1.5-2 days so if I’m lucky I get in the water very late or dark in the second day to launch my boat on my first non travel day of vacation 

Doubt seriously Old Hickory Resort will have charging stations 

now I need to plan a 1/2 day or whole day going  to town to get a charge ,  guess I could hope for a taxi or Lyft back to resort go in the lake and now plan/execute my retrieval on the truck 

now I get the same wonderful long trip home instead of a one day drive and at least start my unpack 

Sounds totally reasonable !!!! On a 6 day trip to lose 3 days to charging 

Edited by granddaddy55
5 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

Possibly the truck stops have the room but in terms of available commercial real estate this is a loser $/sq ft

ok,  so I’m going from NOLA to Lake Norris and now I need to plan in a 4-12 hour stop or more???????? to complete my journey in  now what may become 1.5-2 days so if I’m lucky I get in the water very late or dark in the second day to launch my boat on my first non travel day of vacation 

Doubt seriously Old Hickory Resort will have charging stations 

now I need to plan a 1/2 day or whole day going  to town to get a charge ,  guess I could hope for a taxi or Lyft back to resort go in the lake and now plan/execute my retrieval on the truck 

now I get the same wonderful long trip home instead of a one day drive and at least start my unpack 

Sounds totally reasonable !!!! On a 6 day trip to lose 3 days to charging 

You’re not the target market. The bigger issue will be what nitrous said about charging with a trailer. Current Tesla’s can be charged in the time you stop for lunch. I imagine the truck will have larger batteries and take longer but I haven’t seen anything released about potential charging times yet. 

Edited by Pnwrider
Typo
2 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

You’re not the target market. The bigger issue will be what nitrous did about charging with a trailer. Current Tesla’s can be charged in the time you stop for lunch. I imagine the truck will have larger batteries and take longer but I haven’t seen anything released about potential charging times yet. 

The supercharger stations I have seen are basically diagonal parking, but some have an extra bit of length that would allow you to nose in and keep your trailer hooked up.  I wouldn't have any problem with that as long as the trailer doesn't stick out into the road. 

I would expect the truck to charge in about an hour at a supercharger. 

A friend of mine had a roadster and an S model.  He said that at first it seemed awkward to stop for 45 minutes every 200 miles, but he quickly realized that he and his wife arrived at their destination a lot more fresh and ready to do things than when they just drove for seven to ten hours straight. 

Poking around the Toyota site, the 2020 Prius Prime (we are looking at the 2020 Rav4 Prime) gets over 1000 kms on a 2  hr 10 minute charge.  That is pretty impressive.  Of course you can't tow (much of ) a boat with a Prius.  :) The point is that mileage is improving.  The RAV4 Prime uses 1/3 the gas of our Pathfinder.  40 miles with NO gas.

7 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Poking around the Toyota site, the 2020 Prius Prime (we are looking at the 2020 Rav4 Prime) gets over 1000 kms on a 2  hr 10 minute charge.  That is pretty impressive. 

1000 kms?  I assume you mean km.  And 1000km is the combined charged electric + gas.  40km (or 25 miles) isn't very much on electric alone.

44 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

1000 kms?  I assume you mean km

No, the use of the plural is correct here as it alludes to values, not a single trip.  Just sayin'.... as for 40 miles, that is two days of the average US commute.

9 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

No, the use of the plural is correct here as it alludes to values, not a single trip.  Just sayin'.... as for 40 miles, that is two days of the average US commute.

The average us commute is 20 miles round trip?   That seems really low, mine is currently 48 and has been much more than that depending on client.   10 miles around here gets you in one ring in the suburbs. 

I recently purchased a PHEV. 

The 500 mile range on that Tesla truck (or whatever it is) seems impressive.  I would be curious as to if/when they will publish real world range with A/C running and towing 14,000 lbs.  I would guess that 500 mile range would turn into closer to a 200 mile range than 500, especially at highway speeds.

My PHEV has a 'nominal' all electric range of 16 miles.  That immediately turns into 12 miles if the A/C is on.  Haven't had any experience with what it becomes in cold weather when the traction battery is cold and the heat, heated seats, heated steering wheel and rear window defroster are operating.

Edited by RTS
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

The average us commute is 20 miles round trip?   That seems really low, mine is currently 48 and has been much more than that depending on client.   10 miles around here gets you in one ring in the suburbs. 

Actually, that is about right.  The meidan distance is even less for  pretty much every LMA - 6-11 miles with only Nashville and Phoenix in the top fifty at 11 or over.  Average commute tie is around 26 minutes each way - mostly sitting or moving at a snails pace.  Which is why a hybrid or even electric is a good option.

2 hours ago, RTS said:

I recently purchased a PHEV. 

The 500 mile range on that Tesla truck (or whatever it is) seems impressive.  I would be curious as to if/when they will publish real world range with A/C running and towing 14,000 lbs.  I would guess that 500 mile range would turn into closer to a 200 mile range than 500, especially at highway speeds.

My PHEV has a 'nominal' all electric range of 16 miles.  That immediately turns into 12 miles if the A/C is on.  Haven't had any experience with what it becomes in cold weather when the traction battery is cold and the heat, heated seats, heated steering wheel and rear window defroster are operating.

Owned Tesla and what I can say it is far From what they estimate mileage to actual mileage. Basically as estimated 25 mile in real world is 15. All depends of weather , speed and driving experience.

cyberpunk looks like a car joke but it’s not!

i think there is one interesting pick up truck - Atlis- it looks like truck and is big enough as truck supposed to be

6C1E456C-E3B5-4124-B5B3-201B4D4EA218.png

5 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Yew ain't from here, are yew?

In the engineering world, km implies the singular or plural as required.  The "s" is never added, even if the answer is a constant. 

That said, if I owned one I wouldn't get the stated mileage because I would have my foot on it at every opportunity. 

A cop pulled my sister over (in her Prius) in Miami for accelerating "too fast" from a light.  He asked her why she did it and she said, "because I can."

Yeah, well this truck can drag that Prius around and still beat it off the line. 

36 minutes ago, justgary said:

In the engineering world, km implies the singular or plural as required.  The "s" is never added, even if the answer is a constant. 

No, I ain't no newbie to proper English.  Mom was an English teacher so I know grammar, even iffin (sic)  I choses (sic) nots (sic) to use it.  :)  Proper English (meaning pretty much any country other than the USA) uses singular and plural, each in the right context 'course (sic)

Edited by Eagleboy99
No reason
11 hours ago, DAI said:

How do charging stations work?  Do you have to swipe a CC while charging to pay for the charge?

Tesla's Super Stations know your car once plugged in and automatically charge your credit card. It's easy! Did a 4,000 mile round trip across the country with no problems or excessive waiting to charge. Timed it with a food or bathroom breaks. I also put in a preorder for the Cybertruck - crazy looking design but it's already growing on a lot of people - including me. 

Edited by Wavemaker
ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

Tesla's Super Stations know your car once plugged in and automatically charge your credit card. It's easy! Did a 4,000 mile round trip across the country with no problems or excessive waiting to charge. Timed it with a food or bathroom breaks. I also put in a preorder for the Cybertruck - crazy looking design but it's already growing on a lot of people - including me. 

What does it cost to fill up - I mean, recharge,  if you are on empty, or low, or whatever it’s called lol. 

1 minute ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

What does it cost to fill up - I mean, recharge,  if you are on empty, or low, or whatever it’s called lol. 

States do it differently. Most charge by the kilowatt which is generally around 20 cents.  So it comes to about .06 per mile which is just a bit better than what you'd get a gas station getting 30mpg. (todays gas prices) It's half that when I charge at home so I get equivalent to about 70mpg in a car that goes 0-60 in 3.2 seconds!! 

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

States do it differently. Most charge by the kilowatt which is generally around 20 cents.  So it comes to about .06 per mile which is just a bit better than what you'd get a gas station getting 30mpg. (todays gas prices) It's half that when I charge at home so I get equivalent to about 70mpg in a car that goes 0-60 in 3.2 seconds!! 

That’s way better then I expected. Quite fair. 

I like how Tesla is pushing the envelope. Their cars are super nice. I just feel like there is so much more to answer about electric vehicles other than range. 

Up here it is about 14 bucks US/hr. (Hrs ?  :) ).  Which is a great deal compared to petrol BUT you have to hang around for hours to get a full charge.  Or you take a top-up and hope it is enough.  Elon needs to make a mega-super-duper fast charger that starts to rival gas fill ups.  Nonetheless, the PHEV is our next SUV.