Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I replaced the Black box in my 2018 22 VLX

A22tim

So I was wanting to see if it is possible to change out the factory DSP Black box with something else.  Started searching around and found this radio made by Infinity. Infinity MBB-400 which runs about $217-250. The outside looks almost exactly the same as the factory box and It has normal speaker outputs and power connections through the 12 pin Mate-N-Lok connector which is the same connector as the factory Black box.  It also has 2 remote control 6 Pin Mate-N-Lok connectors with the factory black box has the same connectors. It has all outputs and inputs in RCAs where the Malibu box has the DSP connectors.  It is almost a plug and play for the factory box except you'll need to fabricate 1 cable that hooks up the bluetooth from the side screen to the radio and the 12 pin connector will need to have the amp power turn on pinned into it as the factory only has power and ground.  I am proud to say on my 2018 22 VLX I have all the factory capabilities with the new black box without the DSP connectors.  This means I can run all my aftermarket amps without cutting any wires in the factory harnesses. The only issue you might have is from the amps to the speakers, but I ran all new wires and left the factory wiring harness alone in case I have to take it in for anything.  I've attached pics of the items. discussed.  The first picture is of the Infinity box, 2 pic is the fabricated RCA cable to connect factory bluetooth from the helm into the AUX 2 input on the radio. 3rd pic you can see the 3 wires for the 12 pin connector, power, ground, and amp turn on (I just ran these to the first amp to hook them up. 4th pic is a little further out showing the infinity black box installed. 5th pic is showing me testing the new black box when the factory one was still attached to the amp board. The last pic is the factory Malibu Black box. 

What I would like to know is the same factory black box used in the 2019 and 2020 models.  If so, I'm thinking you could order a stereo delete and still be able to use the factory helm radio controls.

Infinity MBB400.jpg

IMG_1917[1].JPG

IMG_1918[1].JPG

IMG_1920[1].JPG

IMG_1913[1].JPG

IMG_1924[1].JPG

Edited by A22tim
added another pic
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, A22tim said:

So I was wanting to see if it is possible to change out the factory DSP Black box with something els

The DSP is done in the amps. the black is just a media source. 

Edited by MLA

Yep understand that, but the DSP connections are on the factory black box. I wanted to be able to use the factory radio controls, but have RCA outputs to control my amps and not have to cut into any wires.

10 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Where did you buy it at?

I picked mine up from EBAY new for 217, But Amazon and a lot of places have it.  Just need to search for Infinity MBB-400.

3 hours ago, Orangemxz said:

So sport knob still works? Song titles still displayed on the 7"?

Yes the Sport Knob works, and the factory 7" screen works for all selections and songs and information still comes across the bottom of the main screen.  The rear transom remote is fully functional also.  Factory Bluetooth works through the 4 pin to RCA cable plugged into the AUX 2 RCAs on the black box.  This is on my 2018 so can't verify for the 2019 or 2020 yet, but would think it would if they have the same black box.

I'm thinking this would be a great option if you did a stereo delete and used aftermarket amps and want to keep the factory functionality.

Edited by A22tim
updated
4 hours ago, Orangemxz said:

So sport knob still works? Song titles still displayed on the 7"?

The only difference is proprietary amp connectors that the manufacture puts on for malibu. There are non-invasive means to convert those proprietary connectors to RCAs, without cutting them.  

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233324231096

This harness is for the syn6 but he makes one for tower also, I just replaced my syndx2 dsp amp with a syndx2.3hp and grabbed his tower harness. Total install and swap was less than 30 minutes and only had to cut speaker wires off factory connector to amp. 2017 22MXZ

1 hour ago, st22eve said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233324231096

This harness is for the syn6 but he makes one for tower also, I just replaced my syndx2 dsp amp with a syndx2.3hp and grabbed his tower harness. Total install and swap was less than 30 minutes and only had to cut speaker wires off factory connector to amp. 2017 22MXZ

Heck, be adventurous and make your own.  That "proprietary" connector appears to be a TE Connectivity Ampseal 776262-2.  A little over $9 if you only buy one.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/776262-2?qs=tLAa1RwIH6fgTFJsof75Bw%3D%3D

• Like 2
On 11/22/2019 at 6:32 PM, A22tim said:

I picked mine up from EBAY new for 217, But Amazon and a lot of places have it.  Just need to search for Infinity MBB-400.

Yes the Sport Knob works, and the factory 7" screen works for all selections and songs and information still comes across the bottom of the main screen.  The rear transom remote is fully functional also.  Factory Bluetooth works through the 4 pin to RCA cable plugged into the AUX 2 RCAs on the black box.  This is on my 2018 so can't verify for the 2019 or 2020 yet, but would think it would if they have the same black box.

I'm thinking this would be a great option if you did a stereo delete and used aftermarket amps and want to keep the factory functionality.

It is but guys have bought a Viper 2 and did same on a ‘19,  is the infinity cheaper ?

• 2 months later...

Interested if this has been successful for anyone on a 2020? I recently took delivery of my 25 LSV, Stereo delete. System is now installed with JL amps, sub, and WS speakers. I was less concerned with integration, but if $300 gets me Spotify from the Viper2 AND transfer audio then I would pick this up. What is another $300 at this point? 

• 2 weeks later...

ProSpec Electronics makes these models for a bunch of boat companies, which can re-brand as they wish. Last year I contacted them about the harness for outboard amps, and they acknowledged that sometimes a boat manuf will change the ends of the wires to make it more proprietary to sell additional products. https://prospecelectronics.com 

• 2 years later...