Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 A24 engine upgrade to M6Di

Your Boat Guy.com

I'm interested in ordering A24 with M6Di engine.  Anybody want to talk me out of this motor selection?  Should it also have the surf pipe?  TIA

nope! sounds like a perfect setup! ( hopefully I am in your shoes this time next year!)  I have been reading a ton and everything points to the M6 ( i think if you get power wedge you have to have the surf pipe , either way i would not order a new boat without these options as it may be hard to resale. just my 2 cents.

post photos if you pull the trigger! 

• Like 2

IMO, the M6 is absolutely the way to go with an A24. I wouldn't want the M5 in that boat but that's my personal preference. M6 is so much more powerful and will allow for that A24 to be packed to the gills--you won't regret it. And get the surf pipe. Even with those quieter engines, I'd imagine it would still help the noise a lot.

The prior year(s) 409/450 were fairly close in torque/hp, so the 450 probably wasn't worth upgrading to except to get the better transmission ratio (right?). The HP/Torque delta is much bigger between the M5 and M6.

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/cert_results.php?order=0

Edited by formerathlete
9 hours ago, smuurph84 said:

nope! sounds like a perfect setup! ( hopefully I am in your shoes this time next year!)  I have been reading a ton and everything points to the M6 ( i think if you get power wedge you have to have the surf pipe , either way i would not order a new boat without these options as it may be hard to resale. just my 2 cents.

post photos if you pull the trigger! 

Surfpipe isn’t really a decision anymore ,  no WAY  your ordering an auto set wedge on a new a24, pw3 snd surfpipe are one option

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

in 2019 the 409 came with the 2:1 and 17" prop so there was zero reaosn to get the 450. 

In 2020 the m5di would be fine for 90% of people with 2:1 and 17" prop but the m6di will be amazing for those who wanna slam the boat!

100% just get Pw3 which will get you surf pipe. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with the group.  Just an FYI: I was informed recently, in 2020 all wedges will come with a surfpipe.  Order a manual or PW3 and you are getting a pipe.

On 1/30/2020 at 4:09 AM, Ridebutter said:

Just an FYI: I was informed recently, in 2020 all wedges will come with a surfpipe.  Order a manual or PW3 and you are getting a pipe.

This also applied to the 2019's (at least with PW3 order, not sure if about manual wedge).

Edited by formerathlete
ahopkins22LSV
On 1/30/2020 at 7:09 AM, Ridebutter said:

I agree with the group.  Just an FYI: I was informed recently, in 2020 all wedges will come with a surfpipe.  Order a manual or PW3 and you are getting a pipe.

54 minutes ago, formerathlete said:

This also applied to the 2019's (at least with PW3 order, not sure if about manual wedge).

Are you sure on the 2020's? I know 2019 was that way, but I had the option to not choose the pipe this year.

On 1/31/2020 at 12:17 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Are you sure on the 2020's? I know 2019 was that way, but I had the option to not choose the pipe this year.

VTX is the only one it's an option on (due to possibly affecting ski wake). Every other Malibu/Axis will have surf pipe, unless you order no wedge lol. But manual or power wedge come with surf pipe.

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, Suggy said:

VTX is the only one it's an option on (due to possibly affecting ski wake). Every other Malibu/Axis will have surf pipe, unless you order no wedge lol. But manual or power wedge come with surf pipe.

Ah ok, that makes sense! Thanks for the clarification. 

• 1 year later...