Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 LSV 23 build motor decision

dcarl

28 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

So help me understand this...

The M6 is around $4,500 upgrade and the M5 is the motor that stock.

Are you saying that the difference b/t a M6 and Raptor motor is a $6,500 swing?

Right, that’s in the ballpark of what I was quoted too. 

I have the M6di in my 2020 23LSV and it does not disappoint. If you were closer I would tell you to come out and take a ride in it and see what you think 

12 hours ago, CJAY said:

Exactly.  Get the pieces you can't upgrade post build, then budget in the others for later.  I survived 2 summers with the crappy stock wetsounds dsp amps.  Swapping those out for 3 sdx6 amps this winter

The wetsound malibu stock amps are crap?

4 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Yes.  They have a super conservative tune and can't be adjusted.  They have basically zero resale value as well.  If someone cracks the coding to adjust them, then they will likely be a great amp but not unless that happens.

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

It’s all perspective. For many, and myself it’s plenty. They are tuned conservative but they are also cover under your warranty. The system is leaps and bounds better than the Rockford fosgate system they used for years. I’d suggest going to your dealer, outside if possible, and putting your favorite song on to determine if you are going to be happy or not. 

7 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

No they aren't. They are the same amps available from any Wetsounds dealer except they are DSP "Tuned" for each boat's system. They are much like the audio system in your car or truck. They have a set, conservative tune that can not be adjusted. This is to insure the systems are not abused while still carrying a 5 year warranty. Like @ahopkinsVTX said above. They are great for the majority of buyers. The audio geeks want every last drop of power from their systems and don't want the DSP amps. That is possible as well with a few mods.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Yes they are terrible, extremely under powered, tuned way down, and from my exp, and many others, seem to have tons of issues.  Honestly you can barely hear my rev10s, turned all the way up, when surfing.  My last boat I built the system and my rev10s were super loud at the rider with syn4s running 400watts to each can, properly tuned.   It's not just malibu, it's all the manufactures using these DSP amps.  Without being able to tune them they are worthless.  Like someone else said, they have zero resale value

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It’s all perspective. For many, and myself it’s plenty. They are tuned conservative but they are also cover under your warranty. The system is leaps and bounds better than the Rockford fosgate system they used for years. I’d suggest going to your dealer, outside if possible, and putting your favorite song on to determine if you are going to be happy or not. 

Make sure you're playing that favorite song while under way and behind the boat either surfing or wake boarding.  They sound "ok" when the boat is floating, they quickly lose it when the engine is at surfing RPMs and the wind is blowing.  I wouldn't say the amps are are leaps and bounds better than the fosgate ones, similar power, but the speakers are, which is why it's better to replace the amps and get the full power of the speakers.  

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, CJAY said:

Make sure you're playing that favorite song while under way and behind the boat either surfing or wake boarding.  They sound "ok" when the boat is floating, they quickly lose it when the engine is at surfing RPMs and the wind is blowing.  I wouldn't say the amps are are leaps and bounds better than the fosgate ones, similar power, but the speakers are, which is why it's better to replace the amps and get the full power of the speakers.  

I’ve tested mine while skiing and I can hear the music through my icon 8’s at 34 mph. Is it ear piercing, no but I don’t want that. Many people don’t want or need full volume while doing a water sport. They sound great in the boat and are plenty good, in my opinion, while surfing. Like I said, it’s all perspective for the individual. Every boat having surf pipe makes a world of difference now too. 

I fully understand that you can build a fully or partially custom tuned system that will our perform the factory setup, but I don’t agree that it is terrible. 

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’ve tested mine while skiing and I can hear the music through my icon 8’s at 34 mph. Is it ear piercing, no but I don’t want that. Many people don’t want or need full volume while doing a water sport. They sound great in the boat and are plenty good, in my opinion, while surfing. Like I said, it’s all perspective for the individual. Every boat having surf pipe makes a world of difference now too. 

I fully understand that you can build a fully or partially custom tuned system that will our perform the factory setup, but I don’t agree that it is terrible. 

I think my major issue is that they prevent tuning, and they are paper weights once removed, because no one wants them aftermarket.  They aren't really powered correctly for the speakers either, most are running well under RMS.   

A well tuned and powered system should never be ear piercing at the rider.  It should be clean and loud, and have the option to adjust the volume to fit the people.  These amps have to have the volume cranked just to be able to kind of make out the music at the rider.   Good set up can have 1/2 to 3/4 volume and sound clear and clean at the rider.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the replies. I do not need a ton of sound.

We ordered our 2020 LSV with 4 X 8 Inch tower speakers and 1 subwoofer.

We also ordered the M6di motor and surf pipe which should reduce some motor sound since the Raptor motor versions which were much louder my research suggests.

One other little weird piece, my dealer said that if I cut into my DSP harness, to add RCAs, I could void my boats entire warranty.  I don't know if that's true or not, and if it is seems like a terrible policy.  Due to that I will be buying exiles adapters, no need to test a bad policy 

Edited by CJAY
1 hour ago, CJAY said:

if I cut into my DSP harness, to add RCAs, I could void my boats entire warranty. 

He's full of horse hockey pucks.  The Magnusson Moss Act covers this (and lots of other things like dealer services or factory parts) and worst case is that if the  mod wrecks a covered part and can be shown to have caused the failure then the related part would not be warrantied.  Like if this blows up your stereo, they could deny coverage with proof.  But if your transmission fails?  Covered even if you spliced the wires.

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

He's full of horse hockey pucks.  The Magnusson Moss Act covers this (and lots of other things like dealer services or factory parts) and worst case is that if the  mod wrecks a covered part and can be shown to have caused the failure then the related part would not be warrantied.  Like if this blows up your stereo, they could deny coverage with proof.  But if your transmission fails?  Covered even if you spliced the wires.

That's what I thought too, seemed like a pretty large reach.   I expect once I cut into the stereo that it would void the stereo warranty, but that shouldn't impact the rest of the boat

ahopkins22LSV
On 11/21/2019 at 1:56 AM, 2020LSV23 said:

On 11/21/2019 at 6:08 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Yes.  They have a super conservative tune and can't be adjusted.  They have basically zero resale value as well.  If someone cracks the coding to adjust them, then they will likely be a great amp but not unless that happens.

FWIW, I drove a 2020 VTX yesterday for an event. The tune sounded different than my 19. The sub tune seemed much more aggressive and overall it seemed more aggressive. It’s been mentioned before on here by wetsounds that they change the tune continuously for each boat and to try to make improvements. Maybe they did again. 

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

FWIW, I drove a 2020 VTX yesterday for an event. The tune sounded different than my 19. The sub tune seemed much more aggressive and overall it seemed more aggressive. It’s been mentioned before on here by wetsounds that they change the tune continuously for each boat and to try to make improvements. Maybe they did again. 

I’ll be interested to see what the factory woofer brings in 2020.  I went sub delete and will add my own amp, sub and enclosure.

Fundamentally I have issues with plastic box that is not air tight and specs out at .9 cubic feet when the woofer requires 1.3 cubic feet.  So many short changed variables to even determine the culprit.

it may not be worth all the effort to do it myself this year but after the performance in my 2019, I felt I had to try.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:57 AM, Murphy8166 said:

I’ll be interested to see what the factory woofer brings in 2020.  I went sub delete and will add my own amp, sub and enclosure.

Fundamentally I have issues with plastic box that is not air tight and specs out at .9 cubic feet when the woofer requires 1.3 cubic feet.  So many short changed variables to even determine the culprit.

it may not be worth all the effort to do it myself this year but after the performance in my 2019, I felt I had to try.

Are you going to build your own box or buy prefab?

ahopkins22LSV
On 12/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, Murphy8166 said:

Yeah that’s fair. I just thought it sounded like a more aggressive tune I have no idea if anything actually changed but this forum does get reviewed so who knows. 

2 hours ago, CJAY said:

Are you going to build your own box or buy prefab?

You kinda have to build your own. I’ve looked at you can’t find a prefab that fits inside that space in the new boats. 

Qbomb works great in your boat where you have some fudge factor with the carpeted panel. 

18 hours ago, IXFE said:

You kinda have to build your own. I’ve looked at you can’t find a prefab that fits inside that space in the new boats. 

Qbomb works great in your boat where you have some fudge factor with the carpeted panel. 

That makes it a much larger job.  Saw your post up on your's, looks great, but a lot of work.  I'm on the fence about just leaving mine as is and running my last sdx6 channel to it, or redoing it as a whole and running something that likes a lot more power there.  I'm not a huge bass fiend, but you do need some to round things out.  My last sub was running 1500watts and was a bit much

On 11/20/2019 at 4:37 PM, Murphy8166 said:

So help me understand this...

The M6 is around $4,500 upgrade and the M5 is the motor that stock.

Are you saying that the difference b/t a M6 and Raptor motor is a $6,500 swing?

Went with M6 on my 2020 22MXZ. List price for M6 was $5,833. M5 was stock. List price on 410 was $2,500 discount. Depending on your dealers discount rate it could be a $6,500-$7,500 swing.