Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 LSV 23 build motor decision

dcarl

I hope you guys can help with this. I having a really hard time deciding on which motor.  I have pretty much ruled out the m5di.  If I lock down my order now I can get it with a Raptor 410. I would love a m6di but with the discount they're offering its a $7000 dollar difference.  I don't mind  how loud it is, I like the roar of it. I have to same motor in my current boat. I did have the O2 sensor problem, but its been solid ever since.  My only real concern with it is with resale.  Will 2020 raptor be an odd duck that won't sell?  I probably won't be trading it in because the wife says "this is your last boat". Knowing you guys love to spend other peoples money, I could use some honest advice. Thanks

• Like 1

If it's your last boat get it exactly how you want it, or you'll regret it. My wife made me promise to hold this boat for 7 years, so I got all the things that can't be changed later how I wanted, and am doing winter projects every year to get the ones I can change how I want.

• Like 2

If you're going to be running fully loaded you're going to want more motor than the Raptor 410.

After having that motor in a previous boat I would not get it again. They have not "officially" corrected the CO2 sensor issues that I know of.

Also think about why they would be offering such a large discount on that motor..

If it was me I would go with the M6di especially if this is you're planning on keeping for a while.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, NWBU said:

The PCM's are only available in the Axis line during this period when they're backfilling the GM supply issues.

Hmmm, didn’t know that but explains why it was offered in the Axis A24 to me. 

Why wouldn’t they offer it in the Malibu? 

59 minutes ago, Raleigh said:

Hmmm, didn’t know that but explains why it was offered in the Axis A24 to me. 

Why wouldn’t they offer it in the Malibu? 

My understanding is there weren't enough extra PCM's to cover the entire Axis and Malibu production. Axis got the available PCM's, which has been their legacy engine, and Malibu made a deal for some Indmars.

7 hours ago, dcarl said:

I hope you guys can help with this. I having a really hard time deciding on which motor.  I have pretty much ruled out the m5di.  If I lock down my order now I can get it with a Raptor 410. I would love a m6di but with the discount they're offering its a $7000 dollar difference.  I don't mind  how loud it is, I like the roar of it. I have to same motor in my current boat. I did have the O2 sensor problem, but its been solid ever since.  My only real concern with it is with resale.  Will 2020 raptor be an odd duck that won't sell?  I probably won't be trading it in because the wife says "this is your last boat". Knowing you guys love to spend other peoples money, I could use some honest advice. Thanks

We locked in the new M6i motor. Our dealer offered the Raptor motor with a discount as GM was striking but our concern was resale if we want to find a buyer in a few years. I wasn’t sure if people would prefer new GM motor and if it would be an impediment to getting top dollar for resale

8 hours ago, dcarl said:

If you can wait id' go with the M6... you will be very happy and never regret that decision. And yes.. I think it will be harder to sell down the road, or to say it differently... a 23LSV with an M6 will always be much easier/quicker to sell.

I knew I could count on you guys.... the M6di it is! Dropping my VTX off on Friday. Thanks @CJAY your response made my mind up! I'm getting exactly what I want, no regrets. You can upgrade a lot of things later but a motor not so much.

13 hours ago, dcarl said:

Have you taken delivering yet? 

No spring delivery 

raptor makes more power than m5 so thought a good interim solution -  bigger displacement better at altitude 

32 minutes ago, dcarl said:

I knew I could count on you guys.... the M6di it is! Dropping my VTX off on Friday. Thanks @CJAY your response made my mind up! I'm getting exactly what I want, no regrets. You can upgrade a lot of things later but a motor not so much.

Exactly.  Get the pieces you can't upgrade post build, then budget in the others for later.  I survived 2 summers with the crappy stock wetsounds dsp amps.  Swapping those out for 3 sdx6 amps this winter

Edited by CJAY