Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rebate vs boat show

Ifinallygota21v

Depends.  If full-on custom is your thing, then now; otherwise, a floor model can often be had for a killer deal at the show if you can live with the colours, etc.  Once the boat is floored dealers are happy to move them.

At our dealer, one of our options was to do everything related to setting up the build in November except place the order. They were going to have us place our order at boat show for the best price and we'd get delivery in April. So for us, I think boat show prices were going to be a bit better. We would have gone that route but we decided to take their final spring 2019 A22 slot.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, formerathlete said:

At our dealer, one of our options was to do everything related to setting up the build in November except place the order. They were going to have us place our order at boat show for the best price and we'd get delivery in April. So for us, I think boat show prices were going to be a bit better. We would have gone that route but we decided to take their final spring 2019 A22 slot.

Interesting, dealers differ on this.  I was told now would be the best pricing.  

1 hour ago, 2020LSV23 said:

My dealer noted Year-End Sales event savings are better than boat show.

How much potential variance could it be though really?

A thousand or two?

Mebbe.  Like Dad used to say "Feed the cat another canary".  When you are into 6 figures for a boat, a grand matters??

ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Mebbe.  Like Dad used to say "Feed the cat another canary".  When you are into 6 figures for a boat, a grand matters??

Why wouldn’t it matter? I don’t care if you have three comas in your bank account every person I’ve ever met who is “rich” or not.. would want to save a grand. Regardless of payment method. 

For what i's worth, I sell Malibus.  I break it down like this, YESE is better for left over 2019 inventory.  Right now there are Large rebates on the 19's and some much smaller (about half) on some 20 models.  They don't offer a rebate on any new/refreshed model during YESE.  There is also the year over year price increase that happens pretty much every year and the dealers usually drop prices after the season to clear out aging inventory and make room for new my20.  So bottom line is if you are looking at a model that hasn't had a full refresh from 19-20, buying now is best.  What we have been doing to get around some of this is if you are truly want one of the 20 refreshed/new models, we will usually match whatever rebate they come out with for the boat show. 

I do actually have quite a few 19's that i'm trying to get rid of, but only 2 axises left.  I am out of 25LSV's, that was very popular this year but I have a few 24 MXZs, some MLX's, a few 23LSV's , and a couple 22MXZ's.  PM me if you want any more info, i can't quote prices publicly until July per malibu rules.  

EDIT: also, depending on the model, price drops with rebate will save you on average about 10-15k on closeout stock.

Edited by ryansgt
add info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Why wouldn’t it matter? I don’t care if you have three comas in your bank account every person I’ve ever met who is “rich” or not.. would want to save a grand. Regardless of payment method. 

It matters in that one could be penny-wise and pound foolish - save a grand and miss a colour stripe or feature and then  be stuck with it? Psychologists have a term for this. Like dad used to say "Buy once - cry once"  YMMV

On 11/17/2019 at 9:31 AM, ryansgt said:

PM me if you want any more info, i can't quote prices publicly until July per malibu rules.  

Are you able to sell out of your home area?  Maybe the leftover inventory?

Edited by Five Cent Worth
19 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Are you able to sell out of your home area?  Maybe the leftover inventory you are?

Yes I had same question as my dealer says I can't buy out of territory. Always thought that was B.S.

4 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Yes I had same question as my dealer says I can't buy out of territory. Always thought that was B.S.

You can't buy out of territory "in state". I had no problem buying my '10 new out of state!

Unlike most cars, where there are a number of options to get warranty work done, boat warranty work is problematic.  That's why I buy boats that are out of warranty (cheaper downstroke and repair options) or boats where anything likely to break (outboard) can be repaired at a number of dealers.

Being captive to a dealer is going to cost you money.

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Ifinallygota21v said:

No one will tell me where I can And cannot buy a boat.  

Are you looking at ordering a boat? If so, local dealer. Same goes for new on the floor boats. It gets a little muddy with year or two left over boats. 

On 11/18/2019 at 10:33 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

And no one can tell a dealer to service an out of state boat.

This is why we didn't end up pushing the envelop too much when getting our '19.  Local dealer was good and competitive.  I felt a bit limited but in all reality, it was just a mind set.  Feel like I was treated very good and received a very competitive price.  Where they are hopefully really going to go to bat is in some of the warranty work that needs completed.  

I was just curious on the fellas comments that sales Bu.  I was told when calling some of the other dealers in NC - that you should really be buying from them.  This was a very resounding theme among all of them.  There are three Bu dealers within 2.5 hrs of us and five if you consider the ones across the boarder in SC.

Edited by Five Cent Worth
typo
On 11/18/2019 at 3:36 PM, dalt1 said:

You can, we could always technically sell you a boat out of territory.  However, the problem comes when it's time to get serviced, usually with larger warranty issues.  The dealer in the encroached territory won't outright refuse service but they will put you at the very end of the queue behind their paying customers.  If this happens at a dealership like tommys or MN inboards, it's a fair bet you will not get serviced because they have a LOT of customers.  This will also piss off a dealership that gets one dropped in their territory and it's the same thing, they may decide to drop them in yours.  So no, nobody will tell you absolutely can't, just that it would be very likely you would be hauling it back to the originating dealer for any major service and most likely either doing your own oil changes or getting an independent marina to do it.  

On 11/19/2019 at 5:05 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Are you looking at ordering a boat? If so, local dealer. Same goes for new on the floor boats. It gets a little muddy with year or two left over boats. 

Malibu opens up nationwide on july following the model year.  19's will be available for sale nationwide july 2020.

• Like 2
On 11/19/2019 at 8:35 AM, Five Cent Worth said:

This is why we didn't end up pushing the envelop too much when getting our '19.  Local dealer was good and competitive.  I felt a bit limited but in all reality, it was just a mind set.  Feel like I was treated very good and received a very competitive price.  Where they are hopefully really going to go to bat is in some of the warranty work that needs completed.  

I was just curios on the fellas comments that sales Bu.  I was told when calling some of the other dealers in NC - that you should really be buying from them.  This was a very resounding theme among all of them.  There are three Bu dealers within 2.5 hrs of us and five if you consider the ones across the boarder in SC.

And that is what i would tell you as well.  There are locations that are grey areas that really aren't covered by a dealership.  In general we don't dump in another territory but we do transfer to different dealers if there is a particular one we sell.  unfortunately the negotiations are up to the destination dealer then.  they don't have to honor any price we give.

On 11/18/2019 at 3:14 PM, Five Cent Worth said:

Are you able to sell out of your home area?  Maybe the leftover inventory?

So bottom line is let me know where you are and I will see what i can do to make it happen.

2 minutes ago, ryansgt said:

And that is what i would tell you as well.  There are locations that are grey areas that really aren't covered by a dealership.  In general we don't dump in another territory but we do transfer to different dealers if there is a particular one we sell.  unfortunately the negotiations are up to the destination dealer then.  they don't have to honor any price we give.

Thanks for jumping on and helping drive some clarity into this.  Much appreciated (for the 24 or 25 I will be angling for in 2 yrs! :biggrin:).