Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wet suit advice

2020LSV23

Hey there so I’m wanting to start surfing sometime in May but the water will be too cold and outside temp. Around 15 - 20 C (approx 65 F). I have never tried any type of wet suit but I have seen some different styles people have worn. Does anyone have suggestions of style of brand for wake surfing?

I have a Camaro 5 mil suit that I use and love it. Had it 4 years and still going strong.  I might upgrade to the new style with zipper in front as these let less water in.

ahopkins22LSV

I absolutely love my XCEL. I have the 3/2 infinity comp model. It’s super flexible and dang near dry. I use it to ski in down to 50 degree water no problem. When I ski I barely get wet because everything seals so well. Surfing I get a bit more wet but that’s because your in and out of the water so much more. 

I paid about 150 on evo for it. 

All feedback appreciated a lot thanks!

How do people feel about that baggy dry suits? I’ve seen a few people surfing in them but they look uncomfortable or maybe I’m off base?

Just my opinion here - Wet suits let the water get to your skin, and then your body heat warms the water, so the colder water stays out.  Works better if you have a shower you can start with warm water in the suit before you even drop in.  The dry suit will keep the cold water out all together (until it tears).  Really just depends on what water temp you plan on getting in and for how long.

16 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

All feedback appreciated a lot thanks!

How do people feel about that baggy dry suits? I’ve seen a few people surfing in them but they look uncomfortable or maybe I’m off base?

I don't like dry suits.. They don't last as long and I feel like the Michelin man in the water. hard to maneuver when in water.. personal preference 

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I have a baggy dry suit and it does pretty good. No issues surfing but it is a big sail skiing. If I wasn’t cheap I’d buy one if the new O’Neill drysuits that basically fit like a wetsuit. 

Which ONeill suit do you speak of? Also I guess comp vests go over these suits no issues?

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Which ONeill suit do you speak of? Also I guess comp vests go over these suits no issues?

I believe this is the model my friend has. 

I wear my comp vest under my boost dry suit. Some don’t wear one at all but I don’t recommend that. With the tighter fitting vests most people I know wear a bigger than normal for them coast guard approved vest. If you blow a seam you could have your entire suit fill with water before the boat gets back to you. 

1 hour ago, solorex said:

I have a RipCurl Flash Bomb wetsuit.  Love it.  Picked it up at a Rip Curl sample sale for cheap and I have had it for 5-6 years still looks new.

I love my Flash Bomb 3/2.  I have an Oneil Heat 3/2 as well that works good.  The Ripcurl fits me better since I am more slender.

I like Bare wetsuits.   I used to have a hybrid "damp" suit (neoprene legs with baggy top) that was good for slalom - noot sure if they still make them.  Now I only slalom when I don't need a wetsuit - that takes me May to Sept in interior BC.  "I'm too old to be cold".  :)

I like my O'Neil Throttle 3:2 although no way would i wear it above 55 deg F, I would die sweating in it for a slalom set.  Baggy's are too much of a sail for me except they work well for barefooting as you put a regular barefoot suit under them.  The seals on the neo style drysuit are also much more comfortable compared to the rubber baggy suit seals and less prone to ripping.

I’m going to order the XL (the largest size amazon offers) and see how it fits. I’m 6’1 230 muscular physique may have issue in arm/chest area and if doesn’t fit I will return it. 

I initially bought a 1 piece wetsuit a couple years ago, in colder water I suppose it keeps you warmer but I wasnt crazy about fitment. That could be that I bought a fairly cheap one tho.  I didnt like how restrictive it felt tho...and you can forget about doing any good airs or moves that require quick movement. Last year I bought a 3mm 2-piece wetsuit off Amazon and I like that much better, its much less restrictive. If you take a weird fall it can pull the heater top up some and give you a rush of cold water.

2 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Those are awesome.  I borrowed one a few years ago.  But for the fact that my wife makes me share a drysuit, I'd have one.

You tried this exact model from Oneill?

I run the "O'Neil Epic 4/3" and has been a great suit! they are cheap and seem to hold up good, although I will mention, they do have a tendency to smell like weed......like really bad. I am in the process of sending my back as they are going to replace it for free.

check out "Shuswap Ski and Board" as they ship all over the place and have some of the best pricing around. Plus they have the best customer service I have seen in years!

21 minutes ago, mackie12 said:

I run the "O'Neil Epic 4/3" and has been a great suit! they are cheap and seem to hold up good, although I will mention, they do have a tendency to smell like weed......like really bad. I am in the process of sending my back as they are going to replace it for free.

check out "Shuswap Ski and Board" as they ship all over the place and have some of the best pricing around. Plus they have the best customer service I have seen in years!

I have an off brand and it smells as well. @Raimie got me hooked on "slosh" which helps a bit.  https://www.amazon.com/Jaws-Slosh-Wetsuit-Shampoo-oz/dp/B07V3C4D8L

On 11/14/2019 at 5:19 PM, Woodski said:

Camaro wetsuits get excellent reviews although many comment on them being fragile.

Camaro black tec 2.0 is the best wet suit you will ever wear

super flexible form fitting so you can still move and I have worn mine comfortably in sub 50 degree water

Also, I believe Camaro now offers free repairs for a couple years on them because they are fragile.  Just send it in the off season