Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barbecuing on back of boat?

Josh7711

Thank you in advance for reading this.

Is there a safe and clean way to bbq on back of boat?

i have Malibu MLX.

If so, recommendations on exact grill would be great.

Thank you,

Josh

Well, if it had the round grab rail on the stern, a couple of round clamp BBQ mounts would work, but since it does not, you bet bet IMO would be to fabricate a mount that fits in the  cupholder.  Add a swing arm so  it stays away from anythin of value and there you go.  Frankly, I cannot imagine BBQ on the back of the boat with its attendant mess.

I have seen some special grills made for a boat that basically mount like Eagleboy is saying.

Personally I would not do it on my boat....but too each their own. No doubt that would be a super cool option to have occasionally.

Just make sure you plan enough time for the grill to fully cool down so you can pack it all back up without burning/melting something on your boat before getting on way again.

I'm happy to hear a consensus on this. I'm not going to be grilling on boat. Since I'm a new boat owner I'm still learning what people do and don't do and why on boats. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I've seen floor mounted table brackets mounted on platforms. It would use the tube type table post to mount the grill.

You would be grilling on the boat, not BBQing. :)

@Josh7711, are you beaching somewhere? At the beach where we (sometimes me) go to we set up a grill/bbq on. I have also seen a small pits/grills (https://www.amazon.com/Weber-121020-Go-Anywhere-Charcoal-Grill/dp/B00004RALJ?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2) and cook on beach...

@Ronnie How do you know he won't be BBQing? You can BBQ on open pits as well (Salt Grass uses this method). It is all about the temperature you are using and some would qualify the placement of the heat source as well.

• Like 2
Just now, Josh7711 said:

I'm happy to hear a consensus on this. I'm not going to be grilling on boat. Since I'm a new boat owner I'm still learning what people do and don't do and why on boats. Thanks for the advice.

Your boat.. your prerogative..  I would not do unless I used something like this (https://www.amazon.com/Magma-Marine-Kettle-Grill-Hinged/dp/B004TTLU6Q) but I don't as I pack sausage, jerky, and cheeses for snacks. 

But this is all on you... I would not look at you funny if you were... as a matter of fact... I would stop by and offer a trade for some of your food :wine::beer:

23 minutes ago, Josh7711 said:

Gotta respect that honesty and humility.

• Like 3

We grill on the teak deck quite a bit after ski hours are ended in the summertime.  I use a cheap propane grille and we typically grille things with little to no grease (hot dogs).  We've never had any trouble but it's getting kicked in the lake if it ever catches fire.  

2 hours ago, martinarcher said:

Man that pic brings back memories that make me salivate.  :drool:

It’s still just as good as when you were there. We did find a place that everyone goes crazy over their Butter Beans. The place won’t even sell them to go. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I assume you mean Salt Lick as Salt Grass is a steak house and Grills their steak. Salt Lick is low and slow on their pit, the movement of the meat over their fire pit to regulate the temp.

Salt Lick's pit below. Been there many times. I'm not seeing this on the back of a boat. :)

image.png

Sorry yes Salt Lick lol.. Where you at Ronnie???? Or are you going to make me google Granbury... Salt Lick is not my favorite but the atmosphere is awesome.. Miss my parents living on Canyon Lake :( 

If that was on back of boat... it might get a taste of glass and gel lol. 

I was just referring to an open pit can be bbq and not grill lol

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

About 45 mile SW of Fort Worth. Made day trips to Salt Lick many times. 

Here’s my pit. Gravity feed, holds 25 butts. Lots of ribs. 

830875C8-1ABD-4071-AA3B-F1B4FA6B2360.jpeg

That would fit on back of a boat... mine won't offset smoker 10 ft long lol.. ehh your only 4.5 hours away

8 hours ago, Ronnie said:

It’s still just as good as when you were there. We did find a place that everyone goes crazy over their Butter Beans. The place won’t even sell them to go. 

I found salt lick to be a bit of a tourist trap, was the least favorite of the Texas bbq I had. 

On 11/14/2019 at 5:37 PM, NAW said:

Wakngrill is legit. At first I thought I would never have something like that until I pulled up next to the founder at our lake. He was grilling up some amazing things. It was so easy to set up, rad cleanup, and back to riding. I thought no way I want any chance of a mess but there was absolutely none. 

I can't say enough about this thing.