Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Reading For Garage Temperature Air/Lake

So it’s 18 outside right now... my boat is in a 40x50 insulated garage... three large garage doors in front one in back behind boat... all open area...concrete floor. 

Boat says Air 32 Lake 44 

What do you think the temperature is in the garage? 

I would think around 35 degrees or so.  If you are worried leave a water bottle in the boat to see if it gets any ice but typically garages are 15-20 degrees warmer than outside. From your other posts it seems like your engine is drained and just have some water in a few spots to deal with, if you can’t loosen a certain plug you can always dump some pink -75 antifreeze  in those areas until you get that sorted out.  

9 hours ago, DylanR said:

So it’s 18 outside right now... my boat is in a 40x50 insulated garage... three large garage doors in front one in back behind boat... all open area...concrete floor. 

Boat says Air 32 Lake 44 

What do you think the temperature is in the garage? 

so I emailed my dealer as my boat isn't winterized yet and I was late notifying them before this big cool down. they said they were very confident there wouldn't be any freezing problems as it needs to get down to the 20's for extended periods of time ( 8 hrs or more before they worry.) I would feel confident your boat in the garage is ok. ( if you are concerned just leave all the lights on. that will help some) he did say that the lake temps being higher than normal would keep the air above the lake a few degrees warmer and that's probably why he was ok with my situation.

I had a neighbor drop a 40 watt bulb in the engine compartment last night just to be safe ( dealer did not recommend for safety concerns but there are plenty of topics/references of people doing it in a pinch)

that said has anyone ever used one of these on a V drive?

https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Heaters-XXHEAT-Silver-Medium/dp/B0113JX8KA/ref=asc_df_B0113JX8KA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309806291903&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16822541599803207181&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010952&hvtargid=pla-569308739649&psc=1

not to hijack the thread but I had one on my cruiser boat a while back and thought this might be good way to not have to winterize my boat during the winter if I bought this and had an onboard battery charger plugged in at the dock. since I have wifi at the dock I was thinking to drop a wifi thermostat in there as well so when the cold spells come around I could monitor it?  

1 hour ago, smuurph84 said:

that said has anyone ever used one of these on a V drive?

https://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Heaters-XXHEAT-Silver-Medium/dp/B0113JX8KA/ref=asc_df_B0113JX8KA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309806291903&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16822541599803207181&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010952&hvtargid=pla-569308739649&psc=1

not to hijack the thread but I had one on my cruiser boat a while back and thought this might be good way to not have to winterize my boat during the winter if I bought this and had an onboard battery charger plugged in at the dock. since I have wifi at the dock I was thinking to drop a wifi thermostat in there as well so when the cold spells come around I could monitor it?  

Down here in the south, we don't often see extreme dips in temperature.  But, when we do, it is usually in the form of a somewhat turbulent frontal system with heavy winds and/or precipitation (typically sleet; we don't get much snow).

That said, that same weather system that is likely to bring us worrisome temperature drops is also one that may knock out power (tree limbs, sometimes laden with ice, snapping off in the wind and taking a power line down with them).  Sure, its a rarity, but it happens. 

My boat lives on a covered lift at a marina about an hour and a half away.  Heck, even with "normal" weather conditions, during the "regular" boating season, I can think of over a half dozen times over the years when the power to my lift was out due to a tripped breaker.

So, at one time I did consider using a bilge heater for my boat.  But, I sleep better at night knowing my boat is winterized.  YMMV.

Edited by srab
  • Like 1

To keep an eye on engine temp, I keep one of these in the engine compartment:  Sensorpush Thermometer

I like it because it shows trended data to an app on my phone.  It syncs when the phone is nearby, so it won't work remotely.

I do the light bulb trick all the time.  I put 2 Incandescent Heat Bulbs in the engine compartment with cages around them.  I make sure they're not directly touching anything.  In my driveway, this will keep the engine compartment 10-15F above the outside overnight temps.  Good for when you want to get a couple more weeks of riding.  Obviously not a long term solution if you live where their is a deep dreeze.  

Yes I am aware of most all the tricks... I was just curious what you all thought the best reading for the temperature would be. The air temp or the lake temp on the display. 

3 minutes ago, DylanR said:

Yes I am aware of most all the tricks... I was just curious what you all thought the best reading for the temperature would be. The air temp or the lake temp on the display. 

Neither.  In my experience with my boat they are not accurate

• Like 2

I have drained the engine... this question was just about the temperature reading on the display... in relation to the garage temp. As it provides two readings Air/Lake. 

13 minutes ago, DylanR said:

I have drained the engine... this question was just about the temperature reading on the display... in relation to the garage temp. As it provides two readings Air/Lake. 

I would trust air over the water.  The water is part of the thru hull transducer and most likely requires contact with ... well water.  I would say b/c its sealed, there is probably some insulating effects which is why it is reading a little higher.  Also remember that you have to be at cold temps for a longer period of time (more than just overnight) to do damage.  The point at which water freezes is not 32 degrees if its under pressure .. higher the pressure the lower the freezing point.

• Like 1

Both senders or displays probably  have a minimum reading or range which you are seeing right now.  Why make something to operate in a range it will never see?

I have been watching them and they have stayed consistent throughout temp changes... the air around 14 -15 degrees higher than temp outside. 

also I think it will go as high or as low as it actually is... I don’t think there is a cut off point on the reading unless it got negative or something... I could be wrong tho 

The air one should be accurate, but it depends on the sensor they used.  A Type K thermocouple would be within about a degree or so, but a thermistor would have a definite S curve that they probably wouldn't bother compensating.

Realistically, oldjeep had the correct answer anyway (at least for functional purposes).

11 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Get a real thermometer for the garage and then ignore it and always assume it is below freezing.