Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dock

audipwr1

Looking for folks help

Have a need to extend my fixed pier dock out 32 feet more feet to get to deeper water.

Considering adding a gangway and then a floating section to do this. At the end of the floating section add a boat lift that sits on the bottom (4 post lift).

Called the local shoremaster dealer to ask for pricing on those parts (gangway, 6x16 floating, 4 post lift) and the guy went right to EZ dock and basically wouldn't even entertain a discussion about shoremaster.

My dock knowledge is 20 years old, but back then everyone used shoremaster with aluminum frame, trex or pressure treated deck, and cement block anchors. I tried the Ezdock stuff once and felt the dock wasnt all that stable when walking on it. 

Am I missing something? 

I've got both Shoremaster and EZ Dock floating docks.  EZ for the Waverunners. Their docking system  is great.  The Shoremaster is 20 years old and goes between the Malibu and the pontoon. The EZ dock will be more stable with waves and a bit lower.  Easier to deal with in the Winter too. Only downside is that Otters sometimes like to chew on the underside of EZ Docks.  Use steel spud poles with either, especially if its shallow. Cement blocks are terrible anchors.

The boat lift brand doesn't have to match the dock.

I have a Shoremaster aluminum cantilever lift.  Bought new in 2002.  Its been extremely reliable.  Only replaced the canopy, a couple of pulleys and the cable.  Mine is a 4,000 lbs capacity which is plenty for my Response LX.

I have a Shoremaster cantilever 4000 lb lift for my 21LSV.  Replaced the cable about 5 years ago but the cables seem to last 10+ years.  Replaced the canopy this year and the pulley sheaves about 4 years ago.  All wear parts.  Never had a major problem except replacing the well used motor 4 years ago.  I had to park the boat at the dock for 2 weeks and then clean the bottom!  For the pontoon I have a Hewitt 5000 lb vertical lift.  Main advantage is that it's a bit faster up and down.  Downside is that I think its more delicate - but have no experience to back that thought up. No problem with the Hewitt either.

If you have a relatively even sand bottom I thing you can fudge a bit on the life weight rating.  I think they rate them for worst case situations like a bottom that twists the frame or out of balance lifting.