Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

upholstery discoloration

Raffit78

Own a 2017 Malibu 25LSV. My stadium seating backrest vinyl is yellowing/discoloring. Took it into dealer 4 weeks ago. They have declined to fix it. They said it could be suntan lotion, or I would have to "dye" it.   Not sure what this all means. The yellowing of the upholstery is the entire skin. From one side to the other from top to bottom.  I was told to contact Malibu directly but that's like trying to get a hold of the President.   Anyone have any suggestions?   Supposed to be covered under warranty for 5 years.  If the entire boat had blotchy yellowing on all parts of the vinyl, I would definitely be concerned on the "lotion" that was being used.  Unfortunately, it's not the case.  It's just the stadium seating back area.   Is this going to be a normal issue with warranty?  Everything will have to be pushed this far out to be verified and fixed or declined?   

Have you had much time to let that just sit in the sun? Some of the best advice I've read on this forum when it comes to vinyl stains is "don't panic and let the sun do it's work." I'm OCD about my boat so this is hard for me to do. My nature is to try every cleaner known to man in an effort to make it perfect when I want it perfect.

Through TMC I've learned that a little 303 vinyl cleaner (or any quality vinyl cleaner of your choice) and some patience to let the sun do it's work is the best thing.

Whatever you do, don't use a magic eraser on it. I spoke to Malibu customer service about that specific question and they said absolutely not. It ruins the top coating/finish on the vinyl, dulls the spots it's been rubbed on and makes it more susceptible to staining.

1 hour ago, malibudog said:

you will probably get more helpful responses if you can post some pictures

I didn’t think this was going to be such a hassle. I took it in expected for it to be taken care of. When I get the boat back, I can post pictures. 

17 hours ago, Raffit78 said:

Own a 2017 Malibu 25LSV. My stadium seating backrest vinyl is yellowing/discoloring. Took it into dealer 4 weeks ago. They have declined to fix it. They said it could be suntan lotion, or I would have to "dye" it.   Not sure what this all means. The yellowing of the upholstery is the entire skin. From one side to the other from top to bottom.  I was told to contact Malibu directly but that's like trying to get a hold of the President.   Anyone have any suggestions?   Supposed to be covered under warranty for 5 years.  If the entire boat had blotchy yellowing on all parts of the vinyl, I would definitely be concerned on the "lotion" that was being used.  Unfortunately, it's not the case.  It's just the stadium seating back area.   Is this going to be a normal issue with warranty?  Everything will have to be pushed this far out to be verified and fixed or declined?   

Amazing the nonsense they come up with to deny a legitimate claim ,  there is no way that it discolored seam to seam top to bottom, side to side on just one cushion seat back ( with no discoloring in the seat bottom portion of same seat) and no other cushion in boat with it somehow being your treatment of the boat, and then refusing to lobby Malibu on your behalf , ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

quit worrying about your non existent dealer relationship (proven by their actions) and start pursuing them all over social media non stop,  better business bureau , anything you can think of until they fix it,  they do not care about you 

my dealer who is no longer a dealer was terrible ,  ripped me off for unnecessary and over priced services and trashed my boat every time they touched it

so now I work on it,  snd they are acting this way because they figure they have you on the hook for 5 years of warranty work,  see if there is an Indmar certified mechanic you can use in your area if necessary , only issue is that’s only the drive train

Edited by granddaddy55
ahopkins22LSV

I am not sure blasting the dealer all over social media is the best next step...

Contacting Malibu isn't like getting a hold of the President. I would try the contact us section on website and see where it goes. I know multiple people that have been able to get in contact with the correct people at Malibu just by calling. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I am not sure blasting the dealer all over social media is the best next step...

Contacting Malibu isn't like getting a hold of the President. I would try the contact us section on website and see where it goes. I know multiple people that have been able to get in contact with the correct people at Malibu just by calling. 

Ya I'm not here "blasting" anyone. However, I find it hard to believe that a simple claim on warranty should take 4-5 weeks. The dealer is just the messenger. While writing this, I just received a call from the dealer and they are working diligently to find a cure.  Not sure what sparked that. But I'm grateful. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
26 minutes ago, Raffit78 said:

Ya I'm not here "blasting" anyone. However, I find it hard to believe that a simple claim on warranty should take 4-5 weeks. The dealer is just the messenger. While writing this, I just received a call from the dealer and they are working diligently to find a cure.  Not sure what sparked that. But I'm grateful. 

Yeah I agree with you and how you describe it I agree the dealer should have been more proactive on pursuing it to begin with. I was just commenting towards one of the suggestions above. And if the dealer wouldn't have gotten back to you, I was saying you can get in contact with Malibu. Hopefully you get this resolved quickly though.

• Like 2

Vinyl issues under warranty can be a time consuming hassle. Pics have to sent and approval has to come from Malibu. And even once you get approval, the skins have to be ordered and made (they dont have buckets of spare skins sitting around)and getting them is a 4-6 week wait. 

Without a picture its hard to say if you have a legitimate warranty claim or not. I will say that Ive seen them approve stuff that a car manufacture would laugh at you for suggesting its warranty. However, discoloring issues are a hard sell. 

4 hours ago, Raffit78 said:

Your post complaining here did it!