Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stringer Replacement Recommendations in Michigan?

wild01ride

Hi All,

Long-time lurker and fan of Malibu Boats.

We brought home a beautiful '89 Skier this Summer. Long time boater but first time boat owner.

Unknowingly, we bought the boat with the typical, deteriorated Stringer condition.

It's a real, real bummer but I would do it all over again because it is a beautiful boat and otherwise in excellent condition! As many have mentioned, I would rather spend the money to have a restored classic that turns heads than to have a newer boat that blends in with everyone on the lake!

So, then comes the question:

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to go to get a quality, done right Stringer replacement, preferably in Southeast Michigan (almost anywhere in Lower Michigan or nearby would be fine but closer is always preferred!)?

I would also prefer a place that would let me work with them to upgrade some things along the way. Maybe modify the forward deck to add another battery cutout, add some provisions for upgraded audio and lighting, etc., etc.

Who knows...maybe even go with a re-power while the wallet is mercilessly open!:Frustrated:

Any advice, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Like 3

Aside from cautioning you to watch the costs that you would never recoup, they can be rebuilt and be fantastic.  There are many threads on the forum about this; some might have a glass shop recommendation.  But take a peek here: https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/stringers-transom-and-hull-repair/stringer-and-transom-rebuild-upgrade-for-80s-ski-boat-r34/

1 hour ago, wild01ride said:

Hi All,

Long-time lurker and fan of Malibu Boats.

We brought home a beautiful '89 Skier this Summer. Long time boater but first time boat owner.

Unknowingly, we bought the boat with the typical, deteriorated Stringer condition.

It's a real, real bummer but I would do it all over again because it is a beautiful boat and otherwise in excellent condition! As many have mentioned, I would rather spend the money to have a restored classic that turns heads than to have a newer boat that blends in with everyone on the lake!

So, then comes the question:

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to go to get a quality, done right Stringer replacement, preferably in Southeast Michigan (almost anywhere in Lower Michigan or nearby would be fine but closer is always preferred!)?

I would also prefer a place that would let me work with them to upgrade some things along the way. Maybe modify the forward deck to add another battery cutout, add some provisions for upgraded audio and lighting, etc., etc.

Who knows...maybe even go with a re-power while the wallet is mercilessly open!:Frustrated:

Any advice, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome to the crew.  You need to join and get some pics posted, or put up a link or something.  

I don’t know anyone directly that does that type of work.  I know a dude who has done it himself, but that’s it.  I would think that without finding some sort of private person that you may struggle trying to find someone who will let you work with them, BICBW.  Also, be sure to photo document EVERYTHING and post it all here.

In any case, best of luck to you and again......get some pics up!  Many of us members really appreciate an old school Malibu!  

One of the best glass shops in the midwest is Mid-Indiana Marine.  Many dealers and even Malibu factory will send boats to them to have glass and gel work done.  I have seen many of their projects and they are always to the highest detail.  Give them a shot. 

• Like 2

Thanks all for the welcome and suggestions.

Based on some discussion about getting parts from my local dealer, they’re not much into the classic boats, unfortunately. I definitely feel that I need to go with a place that has been around the block and has experience in this specific process.

re: Fred’s in Waterford, I did come across them when  just Google searching, so good to know that they do good work! Thanks!

I’ll keep Everyone posted and get pictures up ASAP.

Thanks again to all!

• Like 1

You might want to peruse some of the vintage boat sites, I would assume a larger pool of wood boat owners that may have contacts to help you out.  Also, vintage boat shows may be a good source of options.  Jamestown Distributors, Noah's are excellent supply houses.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/main.do

http://www.noahsmarine.com/index.asp

https://northwoodboatworks.com/

I was nervous about working on my boat a few years ago, but after the engine went I had no other choice (without spending $$$$$$) and it was on me to get it out of the boat and to a guy on this site, and also on me to re-install it.  After that project, I'd have no problem digging into any part of my boat, from fiberglass to windshield to engine again.

Do you have a garage where you can perform this yourself?  The engine will be a pretty simple removal, and the exhaust, and the interior is really easy to get out.  Once that's out the gas tank easy to pull as well.  The carpet will be a bit of a fight, but once it's out all your have left is to cut the floor and patch in your stringers.  Hopefully you have enough wood left for a good template.  If not there are some threads on this site where people have done it.  The best thing is that here in Michigan you have a solid 5 months to go before the water is soft again.  What's the worst that happens?  Maybe if it wasn't perfect, your repair job only last 15 years instead of 35?  I say go for it.  Join as a paying member, post tons of pics, and you'll have the full attention from step one (how do I remove the side panels?) thru step 100 (how do I check engine alignment?) and tons of input by some incredibly smart and experienced people (some that are engineers by trade) on this site.  This could be an epic winter project.

7 hours ago, Woodski said:

You might want to peruse some of the vintage boat sites, I would assume a larger pool of wood boat owners that may have contacts to help you out.  Also, vintage boat shows may be a good source of options.  Jamestown Distributors, Noah's are excellent supply houses.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/main.do

http://www.noahsmarine.com/index.asp

https://northwoodboatworks.com/

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

I was nervous about working on my boat a few years ago, but after the engine went I had no other choice (without spending $$$$$$) and it was on me to get it out of the boat and to a guy on this site, and also on me to re-install it.  After that project, I'd have no problem digging into any part of my boat, from fiberglass to windshield to engine again.

Do you have a garage where you can perform this yourself?  The engine will be a pretty simple removal, and the exhaust, and the interior is really easy to get out.  Once that's out the gas tank easy to pull as well.  The carpet will be a bit of a fight, but once it's out all your have left is to cut the floor and patch in your stringers.  Hopefully you have enough wood left for a good template.  If not there are some threads on this site where people have done it.  The best thing is that here in Michigan you have a solid 5 months to go before the water is soft again.  What's the worst that happens?  Maybe if it wasn't perfect, your repair job only last 15 years instead of 35?  I say go for it.  Join as a paying member, post tons of pics, and you'll have the full attention from step one (how do I remove the side panels?) thru step 100 (how do I check engine alignment?) and tons of input by some incredibly smart and experienced people (some that are engineers by trade) on this site.  This could be an epic winter project.

Thanks for the great advice and encouragement.

Unfortunately, my garage can't accommodate the boat and definitely  can't accommodate a project like this.

I'm a crazy control freak (and engineer by trade), so I would absolutely do this myself if I had the resources and time. Unfortunately, that's not the case and I'm going to need someone who can dedicate the hours and effort to it. I do really wish I could undertake this myself because I would like having the luxury of double-checking every last detail, putting in the TLC that I want it to have and to be able to tweak the details as the project progresses.

I do really appreciate the well-wishes and I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks!

• Like 2

It's not down the block but I've got a recommendation.  AFAIK one of the most active forums on the internet for people with rotten stringers is the Supra boats website.  I bought an 87 as my first boat and it was rotten. Since then I've not found a single person with an 80's era Supra that isn't rotten.

The person that has emerged as the most competent and knowledgeable (and reasonably priced) guy in this world is Jim @ Viper Customs in Louisville TN.  He designer a lot of the early Supra boats and was a longtime engineer in their factory.  Now he has an independent shop that builds and retrofits boats -- as well as Nascar components.  His website is old and out of date -- and he's a guy that will respond to a phone call MUCH quicker than an email.  But if you want it done right, I believe you'll save money with him even after accounting for shipping costs back and forth. http://vipercustoms.com/

Good luck!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Fffrank said:

It's not down the block but I've got a recommendation.  AFAIK one of the most active forums on the internet for people with rotten stringers is the Supra boats website.  I bought an 87 as my first boat and it was rotten. Since then I've not found a single person with an 80's era Supra that isn't rotten.

The person that has emerged as the most competent and knowledgeable (and reasonably priced) guy in this world is Jim @ Viper Customs in Louisville TN.  He designer a lot of the early Supra boats and was a longtime engineer in their factory.  Now he has an independent shop that builds and retrofits boats -- as well as Nascar components.  His website is old and out of date -- and he's a guy that will respond to a phone call MUCH quicker than an email.  But if you want it done right, I believe you'll save money with him even after accounting for shipping costs back and forth. http://vipercustoms.com/

Good luck!

Do you know what he's using for new stringers?  I wouldn't put wood back in one if I were going to the trouble.  I made that mistake with my little 1970 fishing boat.  I ripped the floor and transom out in the late '80's and put wood back in.  It's past due for another overhaul, but it would be fine now if I had used hard foam.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:11 PM, justgary said:

Do you know what he's using for new stringers?  I wouldn't put wood back in one if I were going to the trouble.  I made that mistake with my little 1970 fishing boat.  I ripped the floor and transom out in the late '80's and put wood back in.  It's past due for another overhaul, but it would be fine now if I had used hard foam.

I used Coosa Bluewater in my 62 and 70 boat. Neither boat should ever have to be touched again. 

On 11/13/2019 at 6:11 PM, justgary said:

I believe that the prevailing wisdom at this point is that composite stringers aren't worth the increased cost.  Wood will still work and work correctly and you can take much better steps about water-proofing them than they did at the factory.  Soaking them in resin, sealing your drill/mounting holes, properly bedding them to the hull, etc.  Construction techniques of boats in the 70s/80s was loooooooose.

1 minute ago, Fffrank said:

I believe that the prevailing wisdom at this point is that composite stringers aren't worth the increased cost.  Wood will still work and work correctly and you can take much better steps about water-proofing them than they did at the factory.  Soaking them in resin, sealing your drill/mounting holes, properly bedding them to the hull, etc.  Construction techniques of boats in the 70s/80s was loooooooose.

That's an interesting perspective, and I agree that you could work hard and get wood sealed, but having visited Malibu about a year ago I didn't see anything happening in the basic hull that seemed a whole lot different than what I saw in the '80s.  The guy who chopped my floor and sprayed the interior gelcoat in the '80s was using 100% foam then, and I felt stupid for bringing him a boat with wood stringers and a plywood transom.  I had no idea that I didn't have to use wood.

Anyway, from the perspective of @wild01ride, who asked about having it "done right," I think that he would be ahead of the game with no wood in the boat.  He could look a potential buyer in the eye and tell them that the boat has no wood in it, and they would get that warm, gushy feeling that a person gets when they find a good boat for sale....

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

That's what Charlie Pigeon used to say.  He's changed his tune.

Hahah -- different game entirely when you're designing/engineering a new boat vs. retrofitting an old one.  The composite materials available are going to add a minimum of $5k to a refit (or at least that was the cost 5-6 years ago when I stopped paying attention.)

I'm going to be the "bad guy" and say don't do it.  You will pay more to have someone do it than the boat is worth.

You may want a "classic" but just 5 years newer and you get a wood-free Malibu.  If you can't DIY it due to skill/circumstances/space, I would chalk this up as a life lesson, sell it for what you can get out of it and upgrade to something a few years newer that doesn't have wood stringers. 

Edited by Nitrousbird
  • Like 2

Good luck with the project if you go through with it. 

Put me in the camp of Sell it, take your lumps, and find another boat that doesn’t need that same amount of work. 

The boat will never be worth what you will have to pay to have it repaired. 

On 11/15/2019 at 8:33 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Me too.  Maybe if it was a Stars and Stripes MC, or an early Nautique or a vintage Malibu AND you did the work yourself, it could be good.  But paying thousands to rehab a ROTM boat - I dunno?

What's ROTM?