Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chevy 2500 6.6l Gasser Tested

RyanB

For anyone interested in the new 6.6 gasser that GM is putting into their HDs.  To me, the results are disappointing.  And man, I'm not a fan of the front end of the new Chevy HD.  That is a face only a mother would love.....

• Like 2

Towing 16,000 lbs. up the Ike Gauntlet that high up is a lot to ask out of a naturally aspirated gas v8.  10k lbs. is about the most I would personally want to tow with a gasser from any of the manufactures.  The gassers will do it, but they'll scream at you the whole way.  

Ugh, I really thought this winter I would be upgrading to a heavy duty truck. But, the gas options seem to leave a bit to be desired and although all the diesels are badass, I choke at the higher price to get into them, higher fuel price, higher maintenance cost, and decreased mileage benefits compared to gas on the newer designs.   

My wife just grabbed a 2015 2500 hd for 25k, i can buy a lot of gas before i make up the difference to a diesel,  or a newer model. 

It might not be ideal, but diesel where i live isn't super convenient,  and its so much better than my old 1500.

I have owned a bunch of chevy and gmc trucks, but find the new one butt ugly.

• Like 2

agree that the new Chevy design is hard to look at. of course I say that everytime they do a major design change. 

if all you are towing is a boat, you don't need a deisel.  We tow larger loads,  well over 12k in RV, equipment, and stock trailers. I have tried these loads with gassers and have been incredibly frustrated.  they will do it,  but the Duramax does it much easier.  on a new rig, the deisel adds up to 20% to the price but you get what you pay for.  the price difference is also reflected in the used market, so you'll get your money back.  especially on the higher mileage trucks.

Have fun repairing and paying for DEF related issues.  It seems like there's 100's of ways the system can fail and de-rate the engine, usually costing $1k+.  We are slowly phasing out diesel crew trucks from our construction fleet.  The big gassers will do 95% of what we need and the Peterbilts will do the rest.  

• Like 2

I have never run a gasser (without major repairs) to the miles I get out of my diesels (with very few minor repairs). My current Duramax was tuned 550 hp/ 1100 ft lb with all emissions and went to 85k until DEF tank heater went out. I get just over 20 mpg at 75-80 mph and have 200k miles on it now. After 85k I did a few mods to it and now it makes 635 hp at the tires, runs a 12 sec 1/4 mile (did it one time to verify) and will tow my 43' 5th wheel no problem. Show me a gasser that can get the same mileage, run as good and tow as much and I will buy it that day. Not to fuel a argument, but diesels don't have to be what the general public makes them out to be. My truck has a clean tune and does not smoke. The technology with the DEF systems is getting better and it won't be long before they are covered with the 100k drivetrain warranty.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, MLBurns said:

I have never run a gasser (without major repairs) to the miles I get out of my diesels (with very few minor repairs). My current Duramax was tuned 550 hp/ 1100 ft lb with all emissions and went to 85k until DEF tank heater went out. I get just over 20 mpg at 75-80 mph and have 200k miles on it now. After 85k I did a few mods to it and now it makes 635 hp at the tires, runs a 12 sec 1/4 mile (did it one time to verify) and will tow my 43' 5th wheel no problem. Show me a gasser that can get the same mileage, run as good and tow as much and I will buy it that day. Not to fuel a argument, but diesels don't have to be what the general public makes them out to be. My truck has a clean tune and does not smoke. The technology with the DEF systems is getting better and it won't be long before they are covered with the 100k drivetrain warranty.

Just pray you don't have a CP4 failure. 

37 minutes ago, MadMan said:

This

Have you ever towed with a diesel? Kind of like saying... I could save money on gas if I get the m5 engine instead of the m6. True, but the performance piece is very different.

1 hour ago, cowwboy said:

Just pray you don't have a CP4 failure. 

Should be fine, I run CAT CP750 fuel filters to keep it from starving, and if it goes out I will swap to a CP3. Still would be less repair cost than a gasser at my mileage.  I did over 300k on previous truck on stock CP4. Mechanic at Dodge dealership owns it now, talked to him 2 weeks ago and he said it is best ruck he has owned.

Edited by MLBurns
add on
5 hours ago, MLBurns said:

What mods to get 635 at the wheels. 

On 11/11/2019 at 11:18 AM, MLBurns said:

Should be fine, I run CAT CP750 fuel filters to keep it from starving, and if it goes out I will swap to a CP3. Still would be less repair cost than a gasser at my mileage.  I did over 300k on previous truck on stock CP4. Mechanic at Dodge dealership owns it now, talked to him 2 weeks ago and he said it is best ruck he has owned.

Did you get a lift pump also?

My 6.7 power stroke just had the pump grenade. Haven't opened the bottom end of the pump yet. But with zero signs of rust in the hp side my mechanic said it probably had the lifter spin. 

Had housing ported and installed Wicked wheel impeller, WCF hotside piping, CAT fuel filter adapter, lift pump, cold air, exhaust, trans pressure riser plug and both engine and trans tuned. Been on this combo since 85k, right at 200k now. I do run fuel additives for lubricity on CP4 pump.

• 2 weeks later...

While I can respect what the TFL guys are trying to do with their Ike Gauntlet testing, it's simply not applicable to what 95% of the country cares about.  I'm much more interested in how trucks perform towing between sea level and 5000' than I am seeing how they do on an uphill climb over 8000' when NA mills are way down on power which throws things like gearing, shifting, etc way out of whack.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, UWSkier said:

While I can respect what the TFL guys are trying to do with their Ike Gauntlet testing, it's simply not applicable to what 95% of the country cares about.  I'm much more interested in how trucks perform towing between sea level and 5000' than I am seeing how they do on an uphill climb over 8000' when NA mills are way down on power which throws things like gearing, shifting, etc way out of whack.

On the other hand, tests like this can easily reveal soft spots in a vehicle's performance.  For example, a PhD Mechanical Engineer friend of mine told me that Ford does these tests regularly to give them a good stress event so they can analyze things like engine and transmission cooling, etc.

So, like you, I don't care about the test per se, but I'm awfully glad that my '05 F150 doesn't have issues with overheating or other severely damaging failures.  In fact, it has truly surprised me with the low level of maintenance needed.  I have repaired a few pesky window regulators, a few stupid front hub locking actuators, and one leaky rear axle seal (I did change both bearings and seals), tires, and two sets of brakes.  The 5.4L spark plug thing is a bit of a nuisance, but they last 100,000 miles.  That's pretty much it in almost 15 years.