Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 and towing with 2019 Raptor

RCorsa

25 minutes ago, RCorsa said:

Odd 

A8887235-F0E2-4A52-87BC-20C669414890.jpeg

Isn’t that dry weight without tower ? Not that it really matters for shuffling  the boat 15 miles, that’s not trailering that’s shuffling from one spot to another , I would do the Raptor in a heartbeat , sexiest truck in the whole industry till this day and from the first day they cane out

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, RCorsa said:

Odd 

A8887235-F0E2-4A52-87BC-20C669414890.jpeg

Not really.  Another member here has a dual axle trailer with his 24MXZ that weighed 7325 with no gear.  I'd figure the M235 is heavier than a 24MXZ, and an extra axle + 2 wheels will add additional weight a well.  I'm betting your rig is 8000lbs or more.  Malibu is never right on their published weights - even the claimed dry weight has always been BS.

For what its worth, the factory weight does not include things like tower, speakers, fuel, etc. My boat was listed at 4800 "dry" and its actually about 5700. With tandem trailer and lead is around 7500. Either way that truck is fine for short tows, I run a 1500 truck too.

I put the Timbren bumps stops on my 2019 Ram 1500, sag is no more than an inch with my boat hooked up (truck is rated for 11,500 towing and 1540 payload), I do feel the road bumps more since the back suspension hits the bump stops a lot more easily without trailer. Worth it for me tho since I tow a good deal, not only the boat but also a few work trailers.

12 hours ago, RCorsa said:

Yah not Too worried about the weight really. The raptor says 8000 pounds.  When I bought the 2500 and the M235 we lived downtown seattle  and have since bought a parcel of land on the lake and are building a home where the M will live all spring summer and fall .  Dock was completed yesterday so now will just tow to indoor storage in winter.  IXFE what hitch and drop do you use? 

I’m not IXFE, but I’ll chime in.  No drop or slightly high with the ball, highest rated hitch and ball that you can find. I also put the timbren bump stops on mine. They don’t effect the ride during daily driving, since the Raptor has so much travel. Takes about 10 minutes to take them off if you are gonna do some serious off-roading. Contrary to what some people say, the Raptor is a great riding highway truck. I’m waiting for my 4th Raptor as we speak.

Edited by surfdude
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, surfdude said:

I’m not IXFE, but I’ll chime in.  No drop or slightly high with the ball, highest rated hitch and ball that you can find. I also put the timbren bump stops on mine. They don’t effect the ride during daily driving, since the Raptor has so much travel. Takes about 10 minutes to take them off if you are gonna do some serious off-roading. Contrary to what some people say, the Raptor is a great riding highway truck. I’m waiting for my 4th Raptor as we speak.

Thanks surfdude and everyone else who offered good advice on what was asked.  So far love the raptor.   Super fun truck and amazing performance and package.  

7 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Update. Friend of mine just traded in his raptor after towing the rzx across the mountains and nearly loosing control. 

I'll put money on it this was not a truck issue, but either tongue weight issue (not enough) or something wrong with the trailer.  Too many people towing wakeboats of the same/greater weight with a Raptor without issue.  

6 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'll put money on it this was not a truck issue, but either tongue weight issue (not enough) or something wrong with the trailer.  Too many people towing wakeboats of the same/greater weight with a Raptor without issue.  

It was a tandem axle trailer and the RZX3 with that the tongue weight is crazy heavy, makes my 3500 squat.   I just heard is story very briefly, I don’t know exactly what happened either. Ill ask him how his new f350 pulls it today at the lake. 

Too much tongue weight for the tow vehicle (without a WDH) takes weight off the steer axle and front tires and costs you traction, braking and stability.  Too little tongue weight for the trailer makes the trailer want to wig wag, especially downhill around curves and in emergency-maneuvering situations.  That's the dilemma when the trailer is too heavy for the truck.      

:plus1: on not a vehicle per say issue. its capable I think a lot more questions before the vehicle ability. And it could be something with the vehicle, tires driver? Trailer trailer setup. I know when we were racing we picked up a new f-250 van and the first trip we came home and put new tires on. The tires that came on the truck $ucked and did not do the job. After the tire swap all was good.  On another vehicle that we pulled the same trailer for a year started to do some bad things. We played with tong weight thinking we had it wrong as we were loaded heavy and still no fix. Two of us darn near lost the rig both on down hill declarations. My turn was #2 and the only way out was mash the gas get control and bring everything down with the trailer brakes. We found a broken weld that was not easy to see.  And if I thought it may have been the vehicle I might have sold it. I will be the first to say I dumped in my pants. This was back in the days everyone had CB's And the trucker behind me was yelling hang on and you have the whole road no one coming and no one passing.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Typically if you have too much tongue weight with a multi  axle trailer, your drawbar is set too high. 

The Raptor you have to have the ball just above the receiver height. The truck sinks pretty good with all that suspension travel. I had a drop hitch on my 14 Raptor and thought it would work the same on my 17. Scary first highway trip. The timbren stops are A cheap and easy fix

So which Tibron SES stop should I get??.  They have one made for the raptor but it’s only 3000lbs. They also make a 6k and 7k version for the “Ford F-150”.   

thanks in advance 

5 hours ago, RCorsa said:

So which Tibron SES stop should I get??.  They have one made for the raptor but it’s only 3000lbs. They also make a 6k and 7k version for the “Ford F-150”.   

thanks in advance 

Get the ones for the Raptor, they work fine. I got mine from CJ Ponyparts.

Edited by surfdude
19 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Weigh it for yourself than report back please.

That is what my dealer told me. We were discussing its weight. He had one. He said the boat weighed about 7200. Actually dont remember for sure if it was with fuel or not., if that's what you are referring to.  No trailer wt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2019 LSV 23, full fuel, double axle trailer. 7,200 lbs was the loaded trailer weight. Truck was weighed empty on a different day at a different scale, both CAT branded. It's pushing the limits of what your Raptor is rated to tow, but more importantly, the 760 lbs of tongue weight would already be pushing your limits of payload. Each time this was weighed with just me as a passenger and no gear in the truck. Throw in a cooler, a second adult, a couple kids and you'll be over your payload limit quickly for sure.

I can only imagine an M235 is heavier than my boat. These dual axle Malibu trailers clock in around 1,700 lbs or so.

MhHf_bAf0oHoblEDvPERQ12fA10Lp9G8uJ4KXEfI

Jl08KSc8WO6giXdzq36679eSFNbeQxMozZ0wzMmP

3cU8TfAjEFQggxtH9qzcd5CcCh_UJzfZ2LZ1siL8

The DPS have been stopping pickups pulling trailers here locally and weighing them. A friend that has a local construction company said they told him that Austin told them to "crack down" on overloaded pickups. It will be interesting this next summer to see if they start weighing vehicles pulling boats, will be some suv's sitting on the side of the road.