Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Bluetooth Question!

jonthefireman

I figured it was much quicker just to ask, hopefully some of you audio pros can answer.  So on the boat I recently picked up, the system is controlled by the original Wetsounds WS-420.  Obviously having bluetooth connectivity would be awesome, looking at Wetsounds it seems like it might be possible to just add the universal receiver, or rocker switch control?  Has anyone done this, or do I really need to upgrade to the newer WS-420 BT??  TIA

3 hours ago, MLA said:

You can add any universal (has RCA audio out) to ANY media source unit that has an AUX-In audio port(s). 

So, (see attached pic), since the Aux ports are empty on my source unit the bluetooth receiver/switch will plug in here?  Bluetooth devices will then just communicate through the receiver?  Sounds pretty simple if this will work.....

IMG_1802.JPG

I love these softball audio questions.

I had mixed results with Wetsounds Bluetooth knobs and switches.  Get the JL Audio (or Exile if you want to pay more for a sticker) Bluetooth receiver.  Great signal amplitude and worked perfect every time.  I just plugged it into the Aux on the WS-420 and away we go!

https://www.jlaudio.com/mbt-rx-marine-audio-bluetooth-receiver-91126

• Like 2

We get that mistake all the time. There is zero improvement in Bluetooth BLE Audio technology since v4.0.  V4.1 and V4.2 are software improvements for security and other things to support emerging IoT applications.

Most version 5.0 Bluetooth isn’t related to audio. And most 5.0 ‘compatible’ products don’t implement any of those improvements. They just don’t mess them up while still establishing a link at legacy advertisement. Classic reverse/forward compatibility.  The BT-SIG did a good job.

So all of the products mentioned in this thread have functionally identical levels of Bluetooth technology. 

What DOES impact audio quality is the codec used. Most links negotiate down to the SBC codec. Kind of the row row row the boat version of good music. The better codecs like APT-X improve on that but both the phone and link must support it. I think everything mentioned in this thread supports APT-X. And you are still compressing compressed music and unpacking it twice to get to analog audio. APT-X is just a bit better.

And the OP has a WS-420 already. Which has the very handy gain adjust amp stages  to match gains to other sources. Wetsounds doesn’t post output range numbers on the site or the manual. I’ve never put a scope on one to see so I can’t comment. However, JL does and Exile expands upon it in depth on their EXBT4 page. That module has better than 2Vpp which is outstanding and more than enough for high SnR audio.  

Edited by Slurpee
13 hours ago, Slurpee said:

I love these softball audio questions.

I had mixed results with Wetsounds Bluetooth knobs and switches.  Get the JL Audio (or Exile if you want to pay more for a sticker) Bluetooth receiver.  Great signal amplitude and worked perfect every time.  I just plugged it into the Aux on the WS-420 and away we go!

https://www.jlaudio.com/mbt-rx-marine-audio-bluetooth-receiver-91126

This.  I run the JL unit and it has been flawless.  

10 hours ago, Slurpee said:

What DOES impact audio quality is the codec used. Most links negotiate down to the SBC codec. Kind of the row row row the boat version of good music. The better codecs like APT-X improve on that but both the phone and link must support it. I think everything mentioned in this thread supports APT-X. And you are still compressing compressed music and unpacking it twice to get to analog audio. APT-X is just a bit better.

Just a reminder to the Apple Sheep, APT-X is one of the many things your iPhone can't do...

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

This.  I run the JL unit and it has been flawless.  

Just a reminder to the Apple Sheep, APT-X is one of the many things your iPhone can't do...

Yup. a very good point. That’s why I cast Airplay over wifi. Usb and WiFi are lossless transport. Of course the MP3 compression (or whatever was used) is still there.