Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Lead bags?

2020LSV23

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, 2020LSV23 said:

I’m going to grab 8 X 50 pound bags for a total of 400 pounds lead weight for the bow. That should be all I ever need to work with?

If you trailer your boat, most of that will become tongue weight.

I stick 150 lbs at the bow end of the observers compartment and that’s been a good compromise for bow weight in my setup. Plus having the weight slightly on the port side doesn’t hurt when trying to offset the natural starboard lean from the prop rotation.

F0B500C0-8C69-43F7-B7FD-77A74F9778F2.thumb.jpeg.caeed2837b9a368e7e1164ef782fc868.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I put 250 over both sets of wheels on each side in the cabin when trailering and 200 in bow,  definitely better trailering when I kept  200 in the bow

i have a high ball to keep the trailer and truck level , so it needed the tongue weight 

Edited by granddaddy55
27 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

I put 250 over both sets of wheels on each side in the cabin when trailering and 200 in bow,  definitely better trailering when I kept  200 in the bow

i have a high ball to keep the trailer and truck level , so it needed the tongue weight 

Thats a great idea thanks for sharing!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I have a quick question about adding more lead. I have currently 500 pounds of lead bags plus 2 X 580 PnP bags for rear lockers.

I am thinking of grabbing another 300 pounds of lead to make it 800 total of lead. The problem is 90% of the time it will just be my wife and I boating totalling just over 300 pounds of body weight. We want to simulate an entire crew with lead if we want the best surf wave. Do you guys think this can be done with more lead?

46 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Hey guys I have a quick question about adding more lead. I have currently 500 pounds of lead bags plus 2 X 580 PnP bags for rear lockers.

I am thinking of grabbing another 300 pounds of lead to make it 800 total of lead. The problem is 90% of the time it will just be my wife and I boating totalling just over 300 pounds of body weight. We want to simulate an entire crew with lead if we want the best surf wave. Do you guys think this can be done with more lead?

You can definitely simulate a larger crew with more lead since weight is weight, and thus more displacement. I think you'll also be happy with the wave without the extra 300 lbs. The current 23 LSV doesn't need to be slammed anymore to throw off a really nice wave. 

With the PNP 580s, you'll need 250-300 lbs in the walkway/locker/forward areas to keep the bow down. Anything over that is just gravy and can be placed around to help dial in to your preference. If you're regular footed, then you'll want to bias the weight to the port side to counteract the prop rotation/torque. 

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

You can definitely simulate a larger crew with more lead since weight is weight, and thus more displacement. I think you'll also be happy with the wave without the extra 300 lbs. The current 23 LSV doesn't need to be slammed anymore to throw off a really nice wave. 

With the PNP 580s, you'll need 250-300 lbs in the walkway/locker/forward areas to keep the bow down. Anything over that is just gravy and can be placed around to help dial in to your preference. If you're regular footed, then you'll want to bias the weight to the port side to counteract the prop rotation/torque. 

Your advice is greatly appreciated here! We will likely grab another 300 pounds and play around with it and post pics of it all this summer!

5 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Where are you ordering the lead from @2020LSV23

Just saw your post of Parker marine on the island. Might be bringing back a bunch in the spring if you wanted. I am also on the island and run Island Wakesurf school.

Hey Cole I grabbed our lead from Chilliwack Extreme Boat Sports carries them. Which brand of bags are you grabbing?

1 minute ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Hey Cole I grabbed our lead from Chilliwack Extreme Boat Sports carries them. Which brand of bags are you grabbing?

50lb Wakeballast bags. Probably won't get them until May. 

19 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

50lb Wakeballast bags. Probably won't get them until May. 

Appreciate the consideration! I will likely be getting the remaining 300 pounds mid February when I am back in Vancouver for work. If anything changes I will PM you :)

6 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Appreciate the consideration! I will likely be getting the remaining 300 pounds mid February when I am back in Vancouver for work. If anything changes I will PM you :)

Of course. If you don't mind me asking what does extreme charge for the bags? Considering stocking some on the island to sell. 

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Of course. If you don't mind me asking what does extreme charge for the bags? Considering stocking some on the island to sell. 

Extreme is charging $89.99 for 50 pound bags

Grabbed another 500 pounds of lead from Leadwake today. So we now have 1000 pounds of lead along with 2 X 580 plug and plays for the rear.

I’ll be using my phantom 4 pro drone this summer to get a lot of footage of the boat/wave, stay tuned!

• 2 months later...

I grabbed my lead today and before we even left for the lake I noticed all the bags are leaking oil. I had spend a while cleaning the upholstery so I ditched the lead for now. Anyone else have this leaking oil problem? I’m using lead wake

I hate to hear that.  I just bought 200lb of Leadwake.  Have you had issues in the past? 

8 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

I grabbed my lead today and before we even left for the lake I noticed all the bags are leaking oil. I had spend a while cleaning the upholstery so I ditched the lead for now. Anyone else have this leaking oil problem? I’m using lead wake

On 4/9/2020 at 12:11 PM, wedge88 said:

I hate to hear that.  I just bought 200lb of Leadwake.  Have you had issues in the past? 

We have never purchased lead before so this was the first order we have ever made. Jared at Leadwake is handling it very well and offering solutions but its hard for us as we have to travel a very long distance to pick the lead up and no we will have to do that same thing again to refund or exchange. Big pain in the a** to say the least.