Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

exhaust question

MalibuMichael

8 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Makes the exhaust somewhat quieter

And the look.

I'm not sure that Malibu offered the Silent Tip Exhaust (STE) in 2005, though was a very easy retrofit later.  Those make more of a difference than just a set of regular turn-down's.  Or just pull them, sell and put a FAE on it.

47 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

And the look.

I'm not sure that Malibu offered the Silent Tip Exhaust (STE) in 2005, though was a very easy retrofit later.  Those make more of a difference than just a set of regular turn-down's.  Or just pull them, sell and put a FAE on it.

I highly recommend the FAE. I've had one on every Vdrive I've owned.  recently did a muffler delete as well. looking forward to summer when I can evaluate the difference that makes. 

• Like 1

I lost about a 1/2 mph on my top end when adding the FAE to my '01 VLX.  And it didn't harm my motor any.  Been running for years.  I keep in touch with the current owners.

On 11/5/2019 at 1:25 PM, MalibuMichael said:

This is awesome news!  Thank you guys!  Does the FAE make the boat slower or harm the motor at all? 

I lost 5MPH with my FAE (GPS verified).  Too much backpressure.  I gained some speed (and power) back when I did a muffler bypass, which also gives you better motor access without impacting the sound at all.  No motor harm.  I'm running a different motor than most, so YMMV.

• Like 1

I added the FAE and lost some power. Was already boarderline with the ballast full and wedge fully deployed when wake boarding. No issues surfing. After the FAE it was really difficult to hit 22 with full ballast and wedge. I changed my prop and it was like a new motor. Lost about 1mph after the prop change and is effortless reaching speed. Really like the lower noise and lack of exhaust exiting right where my kids are surfing.  I should have changed props even before the FAE.  

3 hours ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

I added the FAE and lost some power. Was already boarderline with the ballast full and wedge fully deployed when wake boarding. No issues surfing. After the FAE it was really difficult to hit 22 with full ballast and wedge. I changed my prop and it was like a new motor. Lost about 1mph after the prop change and is effortless reaching speed. Really like the lower noise and lack of exhaust exiting right where my kids are surfing.  I should have changed props even before the FAE.  

Remove your muffler.  It will help.

9 hours ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

What are the model numbers of your old and new prop?

Edited by formulaben
  • 2 weeks later...

I was using the factory prop which was the 537 - 13.5x16.  I talked with the Acme folks and they recommended the 1615 which is a 14.5x13.75.  The guy I talked to said I would likely burn less fuel with the new prop.  Have to think that is correct as the engine worked pretty hard wakeboarding with the old prop. 

I ordered the prop from Deep Blue Yacht Supply in FL online. I paid $570 delivered to my door in early August. It was the best price I could find online. A couple other online retailers had a similar price but were out of stock. 

I have about 700 hours on my boat and pretty sure if I would have bought this on day one the fuel savings would have paid for the prop many times over. 

I will likely remove the muffler over the winter.