Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

EPA and offroad diesel parts

1HELLUVALIFE

13 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

I have never seen a cradle to grave cost analysis

One of many:  https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/cleaner-cars-cradle-grave  Of course there are as many countervailing to this.Despite an EV's higher mfg. footprint, IF (IFF) you have "clean" electricity the full lifecycle impact will be lower.  But, as Peewee Herman once said - everyone has a big butt, define clean electricity".  Hydroelectric?  Think of the lost trees.  Windmills? Killing off birds and almost zero recyclability for the blades. et cetera....

59 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

One of many:  https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/cleaner-cars-cradle-grave  Of course there are as many countervailing to this.Despite an EV's higher mfg. footprint, IF (IFF) you have "clean" electricity the full lifecycle impact will be lower.  But, as Peewee Herman once said - everyone has a big butt, define clean electricity".  Hydroelectric?  Think of the lost trees.  Windmills? Killing off birds and almost zero recyclability for the blades. et cetera....

Bird kills by turbines vary by location and migration patterns.  Very low economic impact on birds off shore, for example.  Bird migration patterns in areas like Portugal where bird kills were high are reduced as birds migration programs to avoid them. 

Blade recycling is likely to be an entire new industry as right now we are just starting to see blade disposal become a challenge.  The industry life cycle is reaching the point where retrofitting is providing a steady stream of blades.  90%+ of a turbine IS recyclable or able to be retrofitted as newer tech emerges.  Recycling currently cannot be done because hauling blades is expensive and crushing them cannot be done by current equipment.  There are several companies looking to profit from recycling the blades.  Part of the process is to reduce blades to pellets on site before transporting - a hurdle solved by technology and industry interested in the scrap is in its infancy. 

Edited by Pra4sno
16 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You ever see the base of a turbine in the spring or fall.  It's sad.

I have pheasant and Goose hunted private land in/around the Fenton Wind Farm in MN with friends for years.  There are more Coyotes than in years past but the pheasant population is thriving and the geese fly far above the wind fields.  I haven't seen what you are talking about first hand but have heard other wind farms see a lot of bird kills.  There were a few dead birds below a couple of turbines.  It's possible predators picked off a lot of the stunned birds too, I don't know. 

Edited by Pra4sno
1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Forget electric.  Hydrogen fuel cell.

That is electric ;) it takes place of the battery... Unfortunately it is still 20+ years out. While hydrogen is the most abundant  resource, it currently takes to much energy to process.

3 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

... A better way than a battery needs to be found to power them...

A diesel generator would work very well.  Rail locomotives have used the technology for about 70 years. 

Oh wait....

3 minutes ago, justgary said:

A diesel generator would work very well.  Rail locomotives have used the technology for about 70 years. 

Oh wait....

Yes... more like 82 years ;) 

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Forget electric.  Hydrogen fuel cell.

A massive amount of electric is used to produce Hydrogen. It take six gallons of water to produce one gallon of E-85. I worked in the auto emissions end for 30 years.  We used Ivory tweezers to handle the diesel filters to measure the particulate weight as it was so small touching a filter changed the weight significantly.  All the gasses were measured in PPM parts per million that was back in 02.  When I left we were changing all weighted samples into PPB parts per billion. Our lakes and air looked and were way worse then today and we are getting cleaner every day. The things people are talking about today will get us nowhere fast and kill our country. If the other country's are not willing to step up we can not change the world on our own. Our country does not call Hydro green. Its the most efficient other then nucular. Our media is so full of bull it stupid we take what is put in front of us without looking who and how accurate the info we see is.  JMHO.....   But if you want electric car how about a good looking one.  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Ford+reveals+electric+Mustang&view=detail&mid=34A10EBA9D4AC607EF1034A10EBA9D4AC607EF10&FORM=VIRE

On 11/6/2019 at 1:19 PM, Sixball said:

The things people are talking about today will get us nowhere fast and kill our country. If the other country's are not willing to step up we can not change the world on our own. Our country does not call Hydro green. Its the most efficient other then nucular. Our media is so full of bull it stupid

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I was riding with my wife when I saw a dually truck "roll coal" and change lanes quickly.  I told her to catch up so I could see the Prius he just smoked.  Sure enough, she caught up and there it was!  It's a crazy world.