Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Step by step guide on How to Winterize a 320 Monsoon

CumberlandSunsetter

ahopkins22LSV
31 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I thought you had to be 60+ to drink Folgers.  They let you buy that at the grocery store?

Where is our eye roll emoji lol. I’ve been drinking straight black coffee for years and hate all the fact mixed stuff. We’ve actually switched to Kirkland dark roast now that we are Costco members. But hey, at least it isn’t maxwell house right?

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

A cut down empty coffee can works well to have under the oil filter as you are unscrewing it too. I used to punch a hole in the old filter, let drain into the coffee can and then unscrew the filter. 

Gallon ziplock baggie works well too.  You just slip it around the filter after you get it loosened up and then just twist filter in baggie - it drops in and you are done.  In my boat there isn't enough room for the coffee can trick, some hoses that run too close to the filter.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Haha I mean any “bucket” will do but it was a good way for me to reuse a Folgers thing of coffee. We go through them quickly in our house...

I have a stack of them on my workbench.  Always handy for something and we go through about 2 a month.

58 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I thought you had to be 60+ to drink Folgers.  They let you buy that at the grocery store?

Funny thing is that the Folgers Columbian is as good as anything else I've tried - including the starbucks that the office buys

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

At first I was like "oh man, great idea."  Then I thought, "oh no who's going to drink a whole can's worth of canned coffee?"

Or, where do I get a "DoubleShot" can that big?

Well I followed the guide... Owner before me had oil filter on so tight I couldn't get it off with a strap wrench or nothing.

In the guide pistolpete linked... What happens if you turn the engine over for over 5 seconds when Killswitch is pulled? I fear I need to refog the engine

15 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

Well I followed the guide... Owner before me had oil filter on so tight I couldn't get it off with a strap wrench or nothing.

In the guide pistolpete linked... What happens if you turn the engine over for over 5 seconds when Killswitch is pulled? I fear I need to refog the engine

You didn't need to fog it the first time. 

As for the filter get yourself a husky 3 arm filter wrench from home depot. 

7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You didn't need to fog it the first time. 

As for the filter get yourself a husky 3 arm filter wrench from home depot. 

Think I can reuse the oil? I take it fogging the engine is an over protection?

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Reuse what oil?  The stuff in the filter? 

No, the new oil I put in the engine without replacing filter first.. we were in a freeze advisory tonight so I just did it anyways with intent of replacing it and the filter in spring. 

21 minutes ago, DOJOLOACH2 said:

No, the new oil I put in the engine without replacing filter first.. we were in a freeze advisory tonight so I just did it anyways with intent of replacing it and the filter in spring. 

Just remove the filter, replace it and then add another 1/2 quart or so to make up for what was in the filter.  It'll be fine

21 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just remove the filter, replace it and then add another 1/2 quart or so to make up for what was in the filter.  It'll be fine

I recommend filling the filter up with fresh oil prior to installation. I never screw on a dry/empty filter.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Chaabo said:

I recommend filling the filter up with fresh oil prior to installation. I never screw on a dry/empty filter.

Things fill almost instantly, filling filters makes a mess and if they are block mounted you can't do it anyways.   Try not to redline the engine in the first 5 seconds :)

i also draw a "remove" arrow on the filter before i install it.  Something about being sideways, half on my back, in a contortionist type pose, makes it hard to remember which way to turn.  

Alright guys -- here's one I've never seen the answer to and I always scratch my head about when winterizing.  How the hell do I access the air filter on my 2004 23LSV?  It's tucked up waaaaay under the rear seat and I can't see any way to get to it?

On 11/8/2019 at 7:26 PM, oldjeep said:

Things fill almost instantly, filling filters makes a mess and if they are block mounted you can't do it anyways.   Try not to redline the engine in the first 5 seconds :)

Thank you for this,  I’m no longer gonna do it!!

And blowing out the drain holes with compressed air isn't required? Anyone ever damage their engine by not doing it even in the coldest climates?

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, oldjeep said:

Stupid question but want to double-check, do I need to drain oil BEFORE removing the filter? Or does it not matter which I do first

12 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Doesnt really matter.  

Wow, bought the husky 3 arm filter remover it grips but so far only deforming the oil filter. 

Should I just give up and drill a hole near top of filter, drain oil, and use a screwdriver? This thing is impossible!

Just keep twisting on it until it crushes so much that it won't grip.  Drilling a hole is a mixed bag, most of the time you just rip the filter apart with the screwdriver. Last ditch move is a cold chisel on the seam to try to spin it that way. 

Edited by oldjeep
8 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just keep twisting on it until it crushes so much that it won't grip.  Drilling a hole is a mixed bag, most of the time you just rip the filter apart with the screwdriver. Last ditch move is a cold chisel on the seam to try to spin it that way. 

I'll give it one more shot, just don't want it shearing off ... I'd be pretty screwed if that happens