Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Malibu Response Gauges

I have recently purchased a 2002 Malibu Response LX with the LS1. Runs great, but the gauges give me poor readings. 

-Tach will sometimes lay dead, then will jump up to operating speed

-Oil pressure bounces around

-Fuel gauge will give me a reading that I think is "right". Then shows 1/8 of a tank. Even when full.

All else seems to work.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Make sure all the electrical connections at the busbar (located at the starboard side of the helm, just forward of the throttle) are tight. Might not hurt to unscrew each connector one at a time to clean the bar and connector with a wire brush.  Apply a dab of dielectric grease and re-attach.   

please let us know if this works...by the way, you can find an instrument checklist here for finding faults and run through it...if needed, you can find new gauges on bakes online.

Also, check my thread on boat maintenance. Since I have owned this boat since I bought new in 2001, you can read my string and likely see everything you need to beware of or fix on your boat.  It is a fantastic boat overall if you take care of it.

Edited by gary_tenison
  • 2 weeks later...

I cleaned my ground bar under the dash, but what really seemed to fix it was cutting out the two inline glass fuses from under the dash...I tried to reuse them but they broke when I opened them. They were cheap as hell. I bought new inline fuses from home depot and installed them with crimp on waterproof heat shrink...wasn't fun under there but got it done. Seems to have fixed the gauges now.  In reading many posts, not just on this website, inline fuses like that are likely culprits for electrical issues.

If that hadnt fixed it, my next step would have been to take off my medallion 1600 computer, take a heat gun to it to get it opened up, and then resolder the pin1 line of pins per another post on Malibucrew.  In any case, it seems to be fixed now.