Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ghetto Exhaust Downturns: with video

UWSkier

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Curious:  why not a 4" stright adapter?  Why 4 to 3?

Exhaust ports themselves are only a bit more than 3" and with a flapper obscuring a fair bit of it.  That and I don't think there's such a thing as a 4" to 4" closet elbow.

039923197306.jpg?size=xl

could try that.  I wanted something I could run right at the water level.  There's no restriction with the reduction from 4 to 3 as there's already 3 upstream and baffled Primex mufflers inline.

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

could try that.  I wanted something I could run right at the water level.  There's no restriction with the reduction from 4 to 3 as there's already 3 upstream and baffled Primex mufflers inline.

Good point.  I have to say I love the engine sound of my RLX

17 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Good point.  I have to say I love the engine sound of my RLX

Still sounds great in the boat, just slightly less gargly.  It's an improvement for sure.

Here's the sound comparison from a camera right above the engine.  Difference is less obvious there than where human heads go, but you still get a nice sound in the boat.  Just a slightly less intense one.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iqV9Vbg3kpXPbaAAA

3 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Nice! That is a huge difference. I too love the sound though. It makes me smile even if I just hear my friends on the lake and I’m going to work or something. Loved my TXi and that’s with the ste tips and silent rider exhaust. 

https://youtu.be/Ooun-LM3Q-s

That does sound nice.  It's a bit more rumbly than with just the Primex mufflers on mine.

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

That does sound nice.  It's a bit more rumbly than with just the Primex mufflers on mine.

There are a few responses on our lake like yours that ski a little after us. They definitely have a more distinct sound than my TXi did. I understand toning them down a bit. The surprising thing is my friends 2011 Response with the LS3 is probably the quietest. Even when he hammers it. 

3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Would the tighter elbow/closer to the transom exit matter?

maybe this?

90 Degree Elbow Coupler Silicone Hose 4-Ply 4-inch for Turbo/Intercooler/Intake Piping,Length 102mm Thickness 5mm with T-Bolt Clamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJBVF7K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vr5TDbFMJKD3G

Edited by braindamage
7 minutes ago, braindamage said:

Would the tighter elbow/closer to the transom exit matter?

maybe this?

90 Degree Elbow Coupler Silicone Hose 4-Ply 4-inch for Turbo/Intercooler/Intake Piping,Length 102mm Thickness 5mm with T-Bolt Clamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJBVF7K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vr5TDbFMJKD3G

That's silicon hose. Probably crush. You need PVC or ABS

These made a big difference for me along with Eddie Marine slip in silencers. I don't get any exhaust sound behind the boat at slalom speeds just like @UWSkier showed. And here's a clip of my factory exhaust before the mods for comparison. This is no mufflers, just flappers: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/BrgiZGaCTcyuVsVPqX_uoQ.PvW50SUvlpMzeUebqw1ml8

If anyone does this I would periodically check the tightness of your hose clamps. I just lost a tip a few weeks ago and have to replace. I wasn't able to find the elbows at Home Depot anymore, even online, so I ended up finding one at a decent price here: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16529278853125955748?prds=epd:14744833323634945309,oid:14744833323634945309,prmr:3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0lNPGusDlAhXEneAKHVqSBgcQ1sEDCCw

7 minutes ago, drh said:

These made a big difference for me along with Eddie Marine slip in silencers. I don't get any exhaust sound behind the boat at slalom speeds just like @UWSkier showed. And here's a clip of my factory exhaust before the mods for comparison. This is no mufflers, just flappers: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/BrgiZGaCTcyuVsVPqX_uoQ.PvW50SUvlpMzeUebqw1ml8

If anyone does this I would periodically check the tightness of your hose clamps. I just lost a tip a few weeks ago and have to replace. I wasn't able to find the elbows at Home Depot anymore, even online, so I ended up finding one at a decent price here: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16529278853125955748?prds=epd:14744833323634945309,oid:14744833323634945309,prmr:3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0lNPGusDlAhXEneAKHVqSBgcQ1sEDCCw

I'm either going to glue mine in place with silicone, or drill a few holes in the exhaust port flange and put a couple small bolts through them.

My Home Depot had these in a box.  They were super dusty.  I don't think they sell many, and I can't find them on their website anymore either.  They were just there a week ago.

When I switched from flappers to STE turn down tips, I noticed that the tone mellowed a lot.  The flappers are creating the higher pitched popping noise.  Removing them completely is the way to go, but only if you have securely fastened turn downs that keep you from eating too much water in reverse.  The stainless ones are baffled to help with that.

its funny how the grass is always greener......I have S/S turn down tips but kind of wish I didn't as I like the sound without. However, at 6:00 am I sure everyone likes the tips/quiteness....... 

• 2 weeks later...

@UWSkierI took just the elbow off yesterday to match up the cuts with the new one I got in and I noticed that my flapper hits the inside of the reducing coupling. Did you notice this on yours? I'm thinking about removing the flappers in case that is causing a restriction. 

12 minutes ago, drh said:

@UWSkierI took just the elbow off yesterday to match up the cuts with the new one I got in and I noticed that my flapper hits the inside of the reducing coupling. Did you notice this on yours? I'm thinking about removing the flappers in case that is causing a restriction. 

I clearanced the flappers by holding them open and sliding the fitting into the coupling only until it lightly contacted the open flapper. It might touch just a bit but it has plenty of space to swing open with how I've installed mine. 

• 5 months later...

what would these do for exhaust behind the boat when surfing?  So far I've only seen comments on the sound.  Basically I would like to create FRESH AIR EXHAUST so the exhaust bubbles up behind my surf wave.

1 hour ago, wakesetterDD said:

what would these do for exhaust behind the boat when surfing?  So far I've only seen comments on the sound.  Basically I would like to create FRESH AIR EXHAUST so the exhaust bubbles up behind my surf wave.

These won't do that.  This is purely for quieting direct drives which don't have the benefit of a large silent-rider muffler like the V-drives do.  I suspect if you tried these for surfing, you'd end up with bubbly waves.  Ideally, you want your exhaust to get into the propwash where it gets forced out behind the rider.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

My RLx has those.

Your RLX has a V-drive muffler?

Big difference in sound between a V-drive with the Silent Rider muffler setup and the Primex inline "silencers" that came on the RLX.

50 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

These won't do that.  This is purely for quieting direct drives which don't have the benefit of a large silent-rider muffler like the V-drives do.  I suspect if you tried these for surfing, you'd end up with bubbly waves.  Ideally, you want your exhaust to get into the propwash where it gets forced out behind the rider.

STE are on plenty of v-drives too.  I can’t really say they made much sound difference surfing or not but I don’t recall any bubbles. Yours looked a little more turned down than what the factory offered on my 2016.  I never paid much attention if the tips were underwater when surfing and quieting it down or not.   I never thought much about it with the Raptor screaming and the tunes going.    

C40360F8-8D37-4247-AA09-A5AEB4CB6D0D.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hethj7 said:

STE are on plenty of v-drives too.  I can’t really say they made much sound difference surfing or not but I don’t recall any bubbles. Yours looked a little more turned down than what the factory offered on my 2016.  I never paid much attention if the tips were underwater when surfing and quieting it down or not.   I never thought much about it with the Raptor screaming and the tunes going.    

C40360F8-8D37-4247-AA09-A5AEB4CB6D0D.jpeg

Those don't run close to the waterline though.  At surf speeds, my ghetto downturns are underwater.  They run just above the surface starting around 22 MPH or so as evidenced by the change in sound coming from behind my boat around that speed.  :)

• Like 2