Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tire pressure

Patrice Forest

12 minutes ago, MadMan said:

I guess I wasn't clear, we will both do what we each think is best.  I will follow Goodyear's published recommendation.

Just to be clear, that chart represents the minimum pressure for a given load.  The maximum pressure for that load is printed on the sidewall.  I'll take the extra margin in case I hit a pothole or one of the tires gets a nail in the tread. 

I does clearly say load limits at various psi not recommended PSI per load. Limits being the keyword, your pushing the tires to its max limits at that PSI. The only reason to run less that max PSI is if the tires are wearing the very center of the tread indicating too much PSI for a given load.  Which i highly doubt given the weight of these boats ready for the lake. 

On another note you can tell the water temp is cooling down .. :biggrin: 

Edited by 1HELLUVALIFE
On 10/26/2019 at 8:35 AM, MadMan said:

I agree, that's the reason Goodyear provides this information, so you can match your tire pressure to your load. Otherwise they would just say run them at max.

I didn't see a recommendation to run less than max pressure in that chart, only information showing load limits based on pressure (which are reduced as the pressure is reduced below max).  Some people like to run less than max pressure for suspension/ride purposes, and my understanding of the chart (and charts like it) is to advise users of the under-inflation limits if they want to soften up the tire.  But running less than max pressure will cause more heat build up and will reduce the load strength of the tire (and I suspect reduce tire life).   My personal preference is to reduce heat and increase strength to reduce the risk of a blow out, but understand there are benefits to running a softer tire within load limits (softer ride).   

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

• Like 2
12 hours ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

The only reason to run less that max PSI is if the tires are wearing the very center of the tread indicating too much PSI for a given load.  

Wanting a softer ride is a reason.

That's a good point on tread wear, but I also suspect the tire is just defective if it is wearing abnormally running at or within the max pressure rating.  

10 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Wanting a softer ride is a reason.

That's a good point on tread wear, but I also suspect the tire is just defective if it is wearing abnormally running at or within the max pressure rating.  

Just out of curiosity how much would dropping the psi say 10 psi on a trailer really effect the ride in the truck? my point about the tire wear would be like  max psi driving thousands of miles with  a trailer with no load, still would dry rot before tread wears out anyways.   mostly would happen on vehicles not trailers.

31 minutes ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

Just out of curiosity how much would dropping the psi say 10 psi on a trailer really effect the ride in the truck? 

On the truck, not one bit.  But it might soften the ride on the boat.  It is more relevant, IMO, for travel trailers if you want to reduce some of the bounce and keep dishes in the cabinets, for example.  But, really, your suspension should be doing most of the work keeping the trailer from shaking apart.  

I also know guys who drop the truck tire pressure on their HD trucks when they aren't loaded to get a better ride.  I run a 2019 GMC DRW right now for my daily and don't feel like the ride is bad or needs adjusting with tire pressure, but I have some friends with older HD trucks (and different brands) with load-range E or stouter tires that will beat the living crap out of you if you run max tire pressure unloaded on a rough road.  

Edited by jjackkrash