Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Vride 2006 ballast upgrade

Sims

Hi

I just bought a 2006 Vride Malibu.  It currently have the standard 250 lbs rear ballast. It's my first wakesurf boat, so I'm a little new with that.   I would like to upgrade it to 750 lbs.  I read on some forum that one person use Highfly 750.  I also found on wakemaker a retrofit kit specially for the Vride for about 900$. Anyone has try it?  Any other recommendation on other alternative or video to show how to proceed for the installation. Also, do you recommand the engine divider panel saver?

Here is the link of the wakemaker upgrade kit https://www.wakemakers.com/tankbuster-750-ballast-system-upgrade.html

Thanks for your help

would you keep the existing pump, they should already be reversible. I believe I have one per tank, so 2X for the 250 and 1X the 500 in the bow.  I would not touch the 500 tank which is under the floor.  Have you ever use the retrofit kit from wakemaker?  any other kit to suggest?

I don't think the pumps are reversible but not sure.  Stock were not.

I would toss everything but the center tank.  The VRide was not designed for surfing so probably best to go all the way now instead of doing it piecemeal over the next year or so.

14 minutes ago, Sims said:

if they are not reversible, how they empty the tank, just a solenoid valve switch?

Malibu uses aerator pumps. they only go in one direction. each tank has two pumps, 1 fill, 1 drain. 

fill pump is in the bilge and thru hull. Drain pump is on tank.

Edited by kerpluxal

Agree with all of the above.  Do it once do it right.  Three reversibles to 750s in the lockers and a bow bag up front.  I had an 06 vride and did the wakemakers kit.  Between the passive draining and the very slow fill times, it wasn't that great.  Did reversibles in my next boat and they were foolproof.  More expense up front, but way better performance on the water.

1 hour ago, Sims said:

would you keep the existing pump, they should already be reversible. I believe I have one per tank, so 2X for the 250 and 1X the 500 in the bow.  I would not touch the 500 tank which is under the floor.  Have you ever use the retrofit kit from wakemaker?  any other kit to suggest?

I have a 2006 Vride.   There is a fill pump and drain pump on each of the rear tanks.  Easiest thing to do is pull the rear tanks, buy 2 750 bags along with the fittings.  Use the existing hoses.   I extended my hoses to run the vent lines to the opposite side of the boat to prevent them draining out, but that was back before suckgates when you had to list the boat.   Fill time is about 7-9 minutes.  I've thought about switching to reversible's, but now that you don't have to list the boat, fill times are not an issue for me.   I use the fill time to get rope, suckgate, etc ready.

Typically I surf with the 750's full, the mid ship 500 full no wedge, 10.6 mph. You can drop the wedge for a higher steeper wave, but it's less forgiving.    Sometimes I'll add a 550 bag up in the bow, but for the most part I do not.

You'll also want to upgrade your prop.  I went with an acme 1235 and it works well for surfing fully loaded with a boat full of people.   It's also good at wakeboard and slalom speeds.  

Lastly you need to get a suckgate wakeshaper.

Great wake, no issues staying with it.  Usually ride with my wife and two small kids in the boat.   I am 5 11 180 and ride a 4' 7" skim style with no issues.

Lastly you need to get a suckgate wakeshaper.  

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a private message.  I've got pics of the wave I can share with you if you want.

Edited by NCVride

I've got aerators in my boat (04 23LSV -- same system that you had) with the upgraded bags.  The pumps are slow(!) and after draining there is still water in the bags.  If I did it over, I would put in reversibles.  I didn't go that way because I was worried about burning out impellers by leaving them on and running them dry.  I'm not sure if that's still an issue but I would deal with that in order to increase fill/drain times.

thank you guys for your advices, well, it looks like I need to increase even more my budget to get reversible pump.  Any recommandation on brand?  

Edited by Sims

I have the 750s in the rear t'ed off of a timed wakemakers reversible. I then have a 500 that I toss over fill under the bow cushion.

I'm still 220# so surfing with few passengers is a lot of work.

I was chatting with the guy at wakemaker about the reversible pump and he told me I need to increase the pump inlet diameter. I.e drill bigger hold in the hull.  Anyone did that to put reversible pump?

Wrong forum - should be in the ballast section.  I've covered this a number of times for the SV23 hull.  If you want the result below, do the following.  If you want a lesser result, follow other recommendations.

- Pull rear hard tanks, 1100's in each locker
- Sack under the port seat, approx 300lbs
- Center locker bag (~500lbs)
- Under seat bow bag (~300lbs)
- 100lbs lead stuffed in the nose, another 200 under the bow filler
- 200lbs lead at the back of the boat as needed; mine are stuffed 100 each side next to the hull behind the interior
- Wedge (mine is a floater)
- Suck gate of choice - mine is the $80 shape the wake unit

All on reversible pumps - zero exposed ballast

6'3" rider (me), no gear, driver only in the boat
Surfing-3.jpg

Edited by Nitrousbird
11 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Wrong forum - should be in the ballast section.  I've covered this a number of times for the SV23 hull.  If you want the result below, do the following.  If you want a lesser result, follow other recommendations.

- Pull rear hard tanks, 1100's in each locker
- Sack under the port seat, approx 300lbs
- Center locker bag (~500lbs)
- Under seat bow bag (~300lbs)
- 100lbs lead stuffed in the nose, another 200 under the bow filler
- 200lbs lead at the back of the boat as needed; mine are stuffed 100 each side next to the hull behind the interior
- Wedge (mine is a floater)
- Suck gate of choice - mine is the $80 shape the wake unit

All on reversible pumps - zero exposed ballast

6'3" rider (me), no gear, driver only in the boat
Surfing-3.jpg

Sorry to put my question on the wrong section, it's my first time, I didn't know exactly how it works.  I can see you did a pretty good job on the wave.  However, my boat is smaller than yours, and I'm not too confortable to put so much weight in the boat.  I will start with 2X750 and 1X500 in the middle, the wedge, a wakeshaper and see how it goes from there.  I'm beginner so it should be a good start.  

I'm more looking for technical guidance on the type or brand of pumps, ballasts, piping connection  how to install.  I try to find it in the forum but I didn't found what I was looking for.  I see wakemaker has turnkey solution, but seem pricy, just looking if there is more cost effective solution that people has tried.

Also for the reversing pump the tech support told me I need to increase the inlet pipe size of the pump by modifying the hole size in the hull.  Did you do that or you just bought a smaller flow pump? Is there anyting in the reversible pump that prevent the water from draining by the pump, since you can't put a check valve?

thanks

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sims said:

I can see you did a pretty good job on the wave.  However, my boat is smaller than yours, and I'm not too confortable to put so much weight in the boat.  I will start with 2X750 and 1X500 in the middle, the wedge, a wakeshaper and see how it goes from there.  I'm beginner so it should be a good start.  

I'm more looking for technical guidance on the type or brand of pumps, ballasts, piping connection  how to install.  I try to find it in the forum but I didn't found what I was looking for.  I see wakemaker has turnkey solution, but seem pricy, just looking if there is more cost effective solution that people has tried.

Also for the reversing pump the tech support told me I need to increase the inlet pipe size of the pump by modifying the hole size in the hull.  Did you do that or you just bought a smaller flow pump? Is there anyting in the reversible pump that prevent the water from draining by the pump, since you can't put a check valves

Your boat is not smaller than mine.  Exact same hull (except mine is a diamond SV23 and yours is a wake SV23).  So the weight is fine.  No issues running this weight plus crew, I don't very regularly and the wife has no issues driving it either.

I am using Johnson pumps.  I used the useless Vdrive T-handle drain for one pump and cut holes for the others as my boat came with no factory ballast stock.  If the hole isn't big enough then simply cut a bigger hole...hole saw and about 60 seconds of reverse drilling will get the job done.

8 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Your boat is not smaller than mine.  Exact same hull (except mine is a diamond SV23 and yours is a wake SV23).  So the weight is fine.  No issues running this weight plus crew, I don't very regularly and the wife has no issues driving it either.

I am using Johnson pumps.  I used the useless Vdrive T-handle drain for one pump and cut holes for the others as my boat came with no factory ballast stock.  If the hole isn't big enough then simply cut a bigger hole...hole saw and about 60 seconds of reverse drilling will get the job done.

Same hull here.  I've got 4 bags on 3 pumps all connected to one 1-1/4 thru hull.  The pumps slow down a tad when all 3 are drawing but not much.  I takes about 10 minutes to fill the boat.  That's two 1100s in the back lockers (filled 1/2 to full depending on the wave I want), one 600 in the center ski locker (in place of your hard tank), and about 300 in the bow with 100 lead.  Up to 3,000 lbs. ballast.  Also a wedge and a home made surf gate system.

If you do drill holes in the hull do what @Nitrousbird says and maybe practice on something similar first.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:16 AM, Sims said:

Also for the reversing pump the tech support told me I need to increase the inlet pipe size of the pump by modifying the hole size in the hull. 

It's definitely technically correct to run the reversible pumps on 1 1/4 through hulls but if you're okay with some extra time, it is possible to run one off of the stock 3/4" through holes.

I've done this, using the stern port hole, feeding one pump, that T's to 2 bags. It definitely tanks time to fill.

but seem pricy,

Reversibles are more expensive per pump, and they should be drained for winter.  The pros are you only need 1 (instead of 2 per bag). they're sealing and self priming, so if your bag moves or you can't position the pump below the lowest part of the bag, they still work. And if you are going for a quick solution, you don't need a separate drain hole. The pressure increase might in some cases be beneficial (using a 3/4" port). And generally speaking they should last longer (especially w/ run dry protection)

Also, I highly encourage you contributing to this site, as the member benefits may be useful; but also WakeMakers is currently doing a fall sale and tends to do a black Friday sale (note, they don't stack)

Is there anyting in the reversible pump that prevent the water from draining by the pump, since you can't put a check valve?

You can put a check valve and drill a hole to empty out the side (you might already have these holes if you have the stock rear tanks); but the impeller should also seal at all times (also a nice safety feature.