Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ifinallygota21v

GM strike and malibu motors

Recommended Posts

Ifinallygota21v
16 hours ago, COOP said:

We've been told it could be well after the first of the year for Malibu motors. 

February 1 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
djheywood

I just got a spray date for my 2020 MXZ of  12/6.  Ordered with an M6.  My dealer just told me he was able to secure the spot and the engine just in time.  Hopefully the info is correct and the build date doesn't get held up due to the motor, but I want the M6 so i'll wait it out if I have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fman
On 10/22/2019 at 3:54 PM, Slayer said:

Why do you say that’s a major bummer?  There’s a lot of dislike for that engine here and while I understand it from a noise perspective, the engine is a strong performer.  I happen to like it in my VLX.  Are people having issues with it??

I've got 240 hours on my Raptor in my 2017 LSV, up to this point it has been rock solid.  In previous boats I have had a 350, 409 both GM blocks,  the Raptor definitely has more power than my 409.  If your not running the engine at 4500+ rpms it's really not a "loud" engine.  At least this has been my experience in comparisom having run the 350 and 409.  We surf at around 3300 RPMs and wakeboard around 3900.  My good friend has over 400 hours on his Raptor 450 in his 2017 MB, never missed a beat.  They seem to be holding up well.

I'm sure the new GM DI engines are "quieter" but I would never tell anyone not buy a boat with the Raptor in it.  I believe the 2020 Supra and MB are both still running the Raptor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23LSVOwner
9 hours ago, Fman said:

I've got 240 hours on my Raptor in my 2017 LSV, up to this point it has been rock solid.  In previous boats I have had a 350, 409 both GM blocks,  the Raptor definitely has more power than my 409.  If your not running the engine at 4500+ rpms it's really not a "loud" engine.  At least this has been my experience in comparisom having run the 350 and 409.  We surf at around 3300 RPMs and wakeboard around 3900.  My good friend has over 400 hours on his Raptor 450 in his 2017 MB, never missed a beat.  They seem to be holding up well.

I'm sure the new GM DI engines are "quieter" but I would never tell anyone not buy a boat with the Raptor in it.  I believe the 2020 Supra and MB are both still running the Raptor.

IIRC they added a LOT more sound insulation beginning in 17 due to the complaints of how loud they were in 16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bbattiste247
2 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

IIRC they added a LOT more sound insulation beginning in 17 due to the complaints of how loud they were in 16.

I think you are right because my '16 23 lsv was annoyingly loud, but when I got a '17, we thought it wasn't too bad. I would've held onto the "17, but I am so glad I only had the '16 for a year or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slayer
12 hours ago, Fman said:

I've got 240 hours on my Raptor in my 2017 LSV, up to this point it has been rock solid.  In previous boats I have had a 350, 409 both GM blocks,  the Raptor definitely has more power than my 409.  If your not running the engine at 4500+ rpms it's really not a "loud" engine.  At least this has been my experience in comparisom having run the 350 and 409.  We surf at around 3300 RPMs and wakeboard around 3900.  My good friend has over 400 hours on his Raptor 450 in his 2017 MB, never missed a beat.  They seem to be holding up well.

I'm sure the new GM DI engines are "quieter" but I would never tell anyone not buy a boat with the Raptor in it.  I believe the 2020 Supra and MB are both still running the Raptor.

I appreciate your insight, @Fman.

 

I think Tige' is also still using the Raptor.  I will say though that my buddy's Tige' is much louder than my '17 22 VLX.  That was a touch surprising to me, but after looking over his boat deeply, there''s virtually no sound insulation there at all.  I know someone on here, I think @Slurpee perhaps, had installed some additional sound insulation and reported that it helped, but I don't see a need to do that on my VLX.  FWIW, I've got 152 trouble free hours on my 22 VLX. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ronnie

FWIW, @Slurpee and I have run extensive tests on the sound issue along with prop, RPM and GPH of many Malibus. These were all profesional testing practices, not seat of the pants. In 2016 we tested the noise of his 22VLX and my 23LSV (both '16 models). Both were excessively loud because of mechanical engine noise from the Raptor motors. As far as performance, the motors were great, lots of torque. In 2017, Slurpee added sound absorbing or deadening material to his '16. We retested his '16 and my new '17 23LSV. Almost instantly we could tell that Malibu had addressed the issue on the '17's with more sound defeating build processes. His '16 with the sound deadening material was now virtually the same as my new '17. I have no doubt that Malibu will use what they learned in the '16 & '17 boats and make the new boats with the Raptors as quiet as possible. I had 3 boats with the Raptor. I have absolutely no issues with the Rator motors in the new boats until GM can get caught up with the M5 & M6. If my '20 23LSV needed to be built before the M motors were available, I'd take a Raptor in a heartbeat. There's going to be a lot of 2020 boats out there with the Raptor, 1st and subsequent sales shouldn't be effected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

FWIW, @Slurpee and I have run extensive tests on the sound issue along with prop, RPM and GPH of many Malibus. These were all profesional testing practices, not seat of the pants. In 2016 we tested the noise of his 22VLX and my 23LSV (both '16 models). Both were excessively loud because of mechanical engine noise from the Raptor motors. As far as performance, the motors were great, lots of torque. In 2017, Slurpee added sound absorbing or deadening material to his '16. We retested his '16 and my new '17 23LSV. Almost instantly we could tell that Malibu had addressed the issue on the '17's with more sound defeating build processes. His '16 with the sound deadening material was now virtually the same as my new '17. I have no doubt that Malibu will use what they learned in the '16 & '17 boats and make the new boats with the Raptors as quiet as possible. I had 3 boats with the Raptor. I have absolutely no issues with the Rator motors in the new boats until GM can get caught up with the M5 & M6. If my '20 23LSV needed to be built before the M motors were available, I'd take a Raptor in a heartbeat. There's going to be a lot of 2020 boats out there with the Raptor, 1st and subsequent sales shouldn't be effected.

In the 23 LSV I think I would take a Raptor over an M5. I had that combo in my ‘16 and ‘18 boats and you’re spot on... gobs of power / torque. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Slurpee

Also. My tests so far have the Raptor looking pretty good in fuel efficiency compared to the M6. I waited patiently for that motor before doing the upgrade squirm. Now that I’ve been in it and tested it I don’t have any impulse to move to a new boat because of the motor. Hull, other options, or whatever... sure. The motor. Nah!  Y’all will most likely love it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dalt1

Just added up my gallons used and hours for the year.

2018 LSV23 Raptor 410.

Hydrofoil 40% cruise 40% surf 20%.

18 fuel stops for 533 gallons mid grade 10% ethanol.

100 hours of engine time = 5.33 gallon per hour. No complaints here.image.thumb.png.4db3c624487533427e50b8a8658c1eec.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE

Looks like a Nissan cars and coffee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dalt1
7 hours ago, IXFE said:

Looks like a Nissan cars and coffee. 

Nissan pays my bills! This was a few years ago.

image.thumb.png.c7910536c70dca3204102e80e93efa3a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE

@dalt1 where’s Godzilla? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SouthsideBoarder
10 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Just added up my gallons used and hours for the year.

2018 LSV23 Raptor 410.

Hydrofoil 40% cruise 40% surf 20%.

18 fuel stops for 533 gallons mid grade 10% ethanol.

100 hours of engine time = 5.33 gallon per hour. No complaints here.image.thumb.png.4db3c624487533427e50b8a8658c1eec.png

What prop are you running?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dalt1
14 hours ago, IXFE said:

@dalt1 where’s Godzilla? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Have had visits from time to time.image.thumb.png.b5a207fba464a5d3a25472356f492562.pngimage.thumb.png.769862ece9e9ba56242a56ccb8eaeb74.png

Edited by dalt1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dalt1
On 11/9/2019 at 7:46 AM, dalt1 said:

Just added up my gallons used and hours for the year.

2018 LSV23 Raptor 410.

Hydrofoil 40% cruise 40% surf 20%.

18 fuel stops for 533 gallons mid grade 10% ethanol.

100 hours of engine time = 5.33 gallon per hour. No complaints here.image.thumb.png.4db3c624487533427e50b8a8658c1eec.png

 

13 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

What prop are you running?

2277

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...