Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

GM strike and malibu motors

Ifinallygota21v

ahopkins22LSV

Well unfortunately they will probably follow suite of the suppliers and other companies affected by this. If they run out of engines there will be a temporary shutdown until the pipe line is refilled. 

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, NWBU said:

They're going to use Indmar for the Malibu builds and PCMs for Axis, until the GM supply comes back online.

Ah nice! Wouldn’t have guessed that. Good the have an option to keep boats being built and people working. 

4 hours ago, NWBU said:

They're going to use Indmar for the Malibu builds and PCMs for Axis, until the GM supply comes back online.

So there are going to be 2020 Malibus running around with Raptor engines in them?  Major bummer.

I am surprised by Indmar being an option.  I had assumed some bridges were burned there and wonder how much of the Indmar software integrates into the Malibu touch screen or what changes happen in the software to accommodate it?  And Malibu maintaining that for future software updates?  I suppose the same can be said of PCM - I assume the new dash software wasn’t developed with 3rd party engine suppliers in mind.  It is likely minimal O suppose.  

4 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I am surprised by Indmar being an option.  I had assumed some bridges were burned there and wonder how much of the Indmar software integrates into the Malibu touch screen or what changes happen in the software to accommodate it?  And Malibu maintaining that for future software updates?  I suppose the same can be said of PCM - I assume the new dash software wasn’t developed with 3rd party engine suppliers in mind.  It is likely minimal O suppose.  

Most of the engine-specific stuff in the screens is available on a common bus.  What I wonder about more is the ancillary stuff.  A Raptor has a very different torque curve than the M6Di.  It weighs a lot more too as an iron block.  Things like Power Wedge calibrations, throttle calibrations, speed control, surf presets, etc, likely all affected.

Edited by UWSkier
2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

So there are going to be 2020 Malibus running around with Raptor engines in them?  Major bummer.

Why do you say that’s a major bummer?  There’s a lot of dislike for that engine here and while I understand it from a noise perspective, the engine is a strong performer.  I happen to like it in my VLX.  Are people having issues with it??

Just now, Slayer said:

Why do you say that’s a major bummer?  There’s a lot of dislike for that engine here and while I understand it from a noise perspective, the engine is a strong performer.  I happen to like it in my VLX.  Are people having issues with it??

I just know the Malibu engines have been getting great reviews for their performance, noise levels, fuel economy, and ease of maintenance.  The Raptor 2020s will be kindof viewed as one-offs.

Wonder what happens with the TXi.  Raptor isn't an AWSA-approved engine for that boat.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I just know the Malibu engines have been getting great reviews for their performance, noise levels, fuel economy, and ease of maintenance.  The Raptor 2020s will be kindof viewed as one-offs.

Wonder what happens with the TXi.  Raptor isn't an AWSA-approved engine for that boat.

Is this not accurate? https://www.usawaterski.org/pages/TournKit/AWSA/Chief Driver/ApprovedTournamentTowboats.pdf

2019 had the indmar raptor. Can’t find anything for 2020

1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Is this not accurate? https://www.usawaterski.org/pages/TournKit/AWSA/Chief Driver/ApprovedTournamentTowboats.pdf

2019 had the indmar raptor. Can’t find anything for 2020

I stand corrected.  I have never heard of or seen a current gen TXi with anything other than the 6.0L Crusader.  They must have built a unicorn to send to ski tests.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

highly doubt Malibu will go back to Indmar for motors, especially to do a one-off Raptor for 2020.  They will pull from other sources as needed.

What other sources? No one else is building the crate motors they buy from GM.

The smart purchasing agents at the manufacturers certainly will be raiding all the aftermarket GM crate engine vendors that stock any ...

There was a similar issue with Merc a few years back when they moved production away from Oklahoma and back to Wisconsin.  Mad scramble to build up stock

9 hours ago, asnowman said:

I know a guy locally that will ship them aluminum billet gm (style, err ahh copies) blocks. He sells them to the performance car guys, but they sure aren't cheap. 

Billet, not cast?  Oh, boy!  I wanna see that CNC machine....

5 hours ago, justgary said:

Billet, not cast?  Oh, boy!  I wanna see that CNC machine....

Its a five axis CNC.  One of the guys I know has 5 of them ruining 24 hours a day at his shop. He is not doing blocks!  Both John Force and Don Schumacher racing do blocks and heads. Some nice parts! As said no water jackets in ether. Not the one I wanted but you can see the basic.

Edited by Sixball
25 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

I know Dart makes billet blocks.  I'm not sure how it's possible with the interior water/oil passages but someone has figured out a way.

http://dartheads.com/dart-product/billet-blocks-and-cylinder-heads/

If you look at the image that @Eagleboy99 posted, you can see the welds along the intake pan and the outer walls where they close it up after all the milling is done.  Impressive!