Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfpipe

baltfan

I am looking to have a surfpipe installed.  Boat is a 2016 VTX.  I know about FAE, but I would prefer the Malibu option.  For anyone that has had the surfpipe installed after the fact, can you tell me what you paid?

9 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I am looking to have a surfpipe installed.  Boat is a 2016 VTX.  I know about FAE, but I would prefer the Malibu option.  For anyone that has had the surfpipe installed after the fact, can you tell me what you paid?

You will be paying anywhere from $1300 - $1600.  I had two quotes from two different dealers and those were the prices.  Where are you located?

35 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

You will be paying anywhere from $1300 - $1600.  I had two quotes from two different dealers and those were the prices.  Where are you located?

Located in North Carolina.  Was quoted $2k.  Thought it was high.

My dealer usually gives discounts for work scheduled during their boat show.  I received quotes in the fall prior to the boat show in February and decided to pull the trigger with the discount.  $2k is definitely high.

48 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

My dealer usually gives discounts for work scheduled during their boat show.  I received quotes in the fall prior to the boat show in February and decided to pull the trigger with the discount.  $2k is definitely high.

Did you feel like it was worth it?  I am doing this as much for less sound when surfing behind the boat as I am for the carbon monoxide.

38 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Did you feel like it was worth it?  I am doing this as much for less sound when surfing behind the boat as I am for the carbon monoxide.

Just as an FYI, Newer boats have catalytic converters on them. The Cat mixes oxygen with the CO forming CO2 a non poisonous  gas. So essentially a surf pipe will only be good for noise reduction on a boat with Cats installed.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

Just as an FYI, Newer boats have catalytic converters on them. The Cat mixes oxygen with the CO forming CO2 a non poisonous  gas. So essentially a surf pipe will only be good for noise reduction on a boat with Cats installed.

Thanks.  I am really hoping the noise reduction while surfing allows for us to better hear the music.  The smoke obviously isn't great for you regardless, but I believe my boat does have a CAT converter.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

I feel like it reduced the engine noise quite a bit.  I really noticed it in the cabin while driving when I first got it.  I think it is worth it.

39 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

CO forming CO2 a non poisonous  gas

The CO is dangerous; but CO2 still displaces oxygen; and we're doing aerobic workouts behind the boat; But it's less of a silent killer; all of it's symptoms should allow reaction.

6 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

LOL, no.  Go out to your car and huff the tail pipe for 10 minutes and tell us how you feel afterwards.  

9 hours ago, baltfan said:

Just buy the pipe and install it yourself.  With the one-outlet Surfpipe it should be a pretty simple job.  

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

LOL, no.  Go out to your car and huff the tail pipe for 10 minutes and tell us how you feel afterwards.  

Oh, wow, man!  I mean, like, I just got... like, got done with the, you know... just the, like, the ten minutes, man.

I feel like, like, you know man, like... you know, voting for like Bernie or something.  Oh, wow, man!

9 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

I luv every time you post this!

9 hours ago, baltfan said:

Thanks.  I am really hoping the noise reduction while surfing allows for us to better hear the music.  The smoke obviously isn't great for you regardless, but I believe my boat does have a CAT converter.

They say it’s the best stereo upgrade you can make 
BUT if you are displeased with your stereo surfing you have problems  that won’t be solved with FAE

13 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Just buy the pipe and install it yourself.  With the one-outlet Surfpipe it should be a pretty simple job.  

Make sure you take off the muffler. It is part of the install process.

20 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I feel like it reduced the engine noise quite a bit.  I really noticed it in the cabin while driving when I first got it.  I think it is worth it.

I had the same experience. music can be heard while surfing better and also having conversations while cruising is a big plus. we go on long boat rides with neighbors and friends and have noticed it's so much easier to have a conversation at 20mph with the surf pipe.

12 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

I luv every time you post this!

Is this a sarcastic statement or you agree lol!!

I do have FAE on my boat. Great for cabin noise and being to here stereo or talk to people in boat better while surfing. I have not noticed any other differences. I surfed 2 years without it and 2 years with it. I have not died with out (and 2 years behind my previous boat without cats). I have not noticed any smell difference, nor any dizziness without. I don't like marketing of buy it or you die. 

I love when someone states "Go suck on your tail pipe". That is a bit extreme and no comparison. BTW, suicide rates from CO have gone down as well due to CATS lol... So if you lock your self in garage with car running and majority attempts fail now due to CATs, what are your chances out in the open air behind a moving boat?

I had my NC dealer install the factory pipe on my 2017 VLX. He charged me around $1,400. I believe there was a lot of work involved removing the internal muffler. Based on the noise lever after the install I would have paid $2K.

On 10/22/2019 at 8:36 AM, baltfan said:

Quick question, why pay almost 3 times as much, if not more, for surf pipe over FAE?

1 hour ago, CJAY said:

Quick question, why pay almost 3 times as much, if not more, for surf pipe over FAE?

Worried about FAE screwing up the wake.  Don’t just surf.  Want to make sure have the best solution.  

Just now, baltfan said:

Worried about FAE screwing up the wake.  Don’t just surf.  Want to make sure have the best solution.  

They are basically the exact same thing.  FAE has just been around much longer.  It depends on what model and year boat you have, but they should look just about the same.

23 minutes ago, CJAY said:

They are basically the exact same thing.  FAE has just been around much longer.  It depends on what model and year boat you have, but they should look just about the same.

Thanks.  I am definitely considering just doing FAE given the pricing I am being quoted.