Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine temp not registering

goodmatt78

I took the boat out of the water today. The water temperature is 56°. While going across the lake the engine temperature never registered registered. Is this typical? Anything I should look at? 

You'll get a lot more replies if we know the make, model, and year of the boat. Put these in your profile and you'll never have to type it again when asking for help.

Oh man, that sucks!  Well, I can't say for sure if your year has all of these temp sensors, but see what you have and go from there.  I replaced mine with one from the local auto parts store and just told them it was a 1999 Chevy Suburban 350 and it was a perfect match.

mrwieo.jpg

Pics a big help thanks...

Is it as easy as pulling sensor #2 and sticking it in hot water to see if the gauge registers?

Now back to the truck....

Edited by goodmatt78
5 hours ago, goodmatt78 said:

Pics a big help thanks...

Is it as easy as pulling sensor #2 and sticking it in hot water to see if the gauge registers?

Now back to the truck....

I'd say the odds of that sensor failing are much lower than the odds of a cruddy connection occurring elsewhere in the circuit.  The first place I would look is the cannon plug at the side of the engine near the ECM.  Pull the plug (it is the round connector with a pipe clamp around it), make sure the contacts are clean, *gently* spread the male pins with a small blade, put a dab of grease on each pin, and reconnect it.  If that doesn't do it, come back for more.

Oh, heck.  I'll tell you more now.  Lay on your back under the helm and clean every connection on the terminal blocks behind the dash.  Then give each block a little squirt of your favorite spray oil to protect it from oxidation.  If that doesn't do it, come back for more.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:13 AM, formulaben said:

Oh man, that sucks!  Well, I can't say for sure if your year has all of these temp sensors, but see what you have and go from there.  I replaced mine with one from the local auto parts store and just told them it was a 1999 Chevy Suburban 350 and it was a perfect match.

mrwieo.jpg

What year and engine this photo for?  I only have the #3 sensor.

No...I was still in work clothes, so I didn't dig in.  I did check the resistance of the temp sensor and the reading was correct for my garage temp.   I will track the wire and check connectors.   I am leaning toward Tstat stuck open.   I plan to check that next.

• 2 weeks later...

Update....new Stant T-stat and temp sensor and all is good.  I'm not sure either was the problem as they both seemed to work at inspection....I am leaning toward the lake water temp being so low.  I ran warm water on my fake a lake and gauges work fine.