Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu cool touch vinyl

robbieg247

So I ordered this option for my boat this year as most of my interior is black . Has anyone else pulled the trigger on it yet ? It is supposedly the same idea as what mastercraft is using . No chemicals just soap n water to clean as it will pull the cool touch coating off of the vinyl. Has any had any experience with this type of vinyl ? 

I'm not really answering your question, but I felt a little frisky at the thought of cool touch vinyl, so it got me thinking.

The sun's energy that gets through the atmosphere to your boat on a nice summer day is about 1,000 Watts per square meter.  Black pigment happens to be very efficient at absorbing that radiation, especially if it has a flat or matte finish. 

Let's suppose that you (since you workout three times a week, enjoy water sports regularly, and don't over imbibe in wobbly pop) have a relatively petite rear, which just happens to cover about a 15" by 15" patch of vinyl when you sit down.  Changing units, that's about 0.381 square meters of cheeks.  If the vinyl were in the sun immediately before you sat on it, it would have been receiving about 145 Watts of energy on that little patch.  The absorption of the vinyl is based on color and finish, but we can assume that regular black vinyl is above 95% efficient at catching the sun's rays.  In other words, that little patch of vinyl gets about 140 or so Watts continuously, prompting it to heat up quickly. 

To change units again, and letting the sun do its work for an hour, that 140 Wh is about 478 BTU.  That's enough to raise the temperature of a gallon of water by 57 degrees in that one hour (excluding heat lost through radiation).  It's no surprise that black vinyl gets hot, so the surprise to me is that someone can make black vinyl that *isn't* hot.  The only real way to do that, it seems, would be through some sort of high-gloss finish to allow the vinyl to reflect most of the energy rather than absorb it.  How they might do that without making it slick is another trick, I suppose.  Your report of only soap and water suggests that they simply apply a reflective layer above the vinyl, and that it might peel off as it ages.

@robbieg247, I didn't really help you at all, but I would love to see the result of a little test.  When you get the boat, maybe your dealer will have another boat with "regular" black vinyl.  If you could put both of them in the sun at the same time and use an IR gun to measure the temperature, it would tell us a lot about this cool touch stuff.  Perhaps your dealer can request a a sample swath of the vinyl to let you feel it and do a test....

LOL . when its been sat in the sun ask your wife to sit on it in her bikini.   You will have your answer ,  Trust me when I say its not cool touch . now it may be not as hot as regular vinyl but it still burns your skin

12 minutes ago, LucasC said:

LOL . when its been sat in the sun ask your wife to sit on it in her bikini.   You will have your answer ,  Trust me when I say its not cool touch . now it may be not as hot as regular vinyl but it still burns your skin

Wow, that's an even simpler test.  Who needs technology when you have a wife in a bikini?  You'll still need some way to measure the scream, or maybe the redness....  I can see it getting technical again, and with a distinct male bias.

sitting-panel-of-judges-showing-marks-D9

2 hours ago, justgary said:

I'm not really answering your question, but I felt a little frisky at the thought of cool touch vinyl, so it got me thinking.

The sun's energy that gets through the atmosphere to your boat on a nice summer day is about 1,000 Watts per square meter.  Black pigment happens to be very efficient at absorbing that radiation, especially if it has a flat or matte finish. 

Let's suppose that you (since you workout three times a week, enjoy water sports regularly, and don't over imbibe in wobbly pop) have a relatively petite rear, which just happens to cover about a 15" by 15" patch of vinyl when you sit down.  Changing units, that's about 0.381 square meters of cheeks.  If the vinyl were in the sun immediately before you sat on it, it would have been receiving about 145 Watts of energy on that little patch.  The absorption of the vinyl is based on color and finish, but we can assume that regular black vinyl is above 95% efficient at catching the sun's rays.  In other words, that little patch of vinyl gets about 140 or so Watts continuously, prompting it to heat up quickly. 

To change units again, and letting the sun do its work for an hour, that 140 Wh is about 478 BTU.  That's enough to raise the temperature of a gallon of water by 57 degrees in that one hour (excluding heat lost through radiation).  It's no surprise that black vinyl gets hot, so the surprise to me is that someone can make black vinyl that *isn't* hot.  The only real way to do that, it seems, would be through some sort of high-gloss finish to allow the vinyl to reflect most of the energy rather than absorb it.  How they might do that without making it slick is another trick, I suppose.  Your report of only soap and water suggests that they simply apply a reflective layer above the vinyl, and that it might peel off as it ages.

@robbieg247, I didn't really help you at all, but I would love to see the result of a little test.  When you get the boat, maybe your dealer will have another boat with "regular" black vinyl.  If you could put both of them in the sun at the same time and use an IR gun to measure the temperature, it would tell us a lot about this cool touch stuff.  Perhaps your dealer can request a a sample swath of the vinyl to let you feel it and do a test....

The only other thing I can add is texture. Dissipating heat is a function of surface area and airflow. Add a lot of texture and you increase the real surface area and it’ll shed more heat than smoother vinyl.  All things being equal. My ‘01 white vinyl could blister your booty after being in the sun a while. My ‘16 white vinyl is barely warm. The dark graphite is only warm. It’s really heavily textured. So much it’s a real pita to clean. I’m not sure why soap and water would matter in that case though. Probably a bit of both. 

21 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

The only other thing I can add is texture. Dissipating heat is a function of surface area and airflow. Add a lot of texture and you increase the real surface area and it’ll shed more heat than smoother vinyl.  All things being equal. My ‘01 white vinyl could blister your booty after being in the sun a while. My ‘16 white vinyl is barely warm. The dark graphite is only warm. It’s really heavily textured. So much it’s a real pita to clean. I’m not sure why soap and water would matter in that case though. Probably a bit of both. 

Lol I’m just wondering if anyone had messed with the mastercraft stuff . I’m a towel on the seats guy anyway but Thinking it might help a bit . We shall see . I’ll plan on that bikini test mid July and report back 

31 minutes ago, robbieg247 said:

Lol I’m just wondering if anyone had messed with the mastercraft stuff . I’m a towel on the seats guy anyway but Thinking it might help a bit . We shall see . I’ll plan on that bikini test mid July and report back 

We spent a day on a new XT22 a couple weeks ago. My buddy brought it by the day after spending a day on his ‘16 (traded in) The cool touch is on his new boat and is very pleasant. 

04640B64-AFC0-4CC2-95BC-B36827B4E14F.jpeg

3497257A-9D53-4496-8621-1734FCC41B01.jpeg

I have spent lots time on a MC with black cooltouch. It makes a big difference and im Considering black this year if I order a new boat. 

Its not just marketing hype, yes it gets hot but was cooler than my 2018 with Malibu saddle. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, LucasC said:

Can you please share pics of the damage😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Cipro said:

I have spent lots time on a MC with black cooltouch. It makes a big difference and im Considering black this year if I order a new boat. 

Its not just marketing hype, yes it gets hot but was cooler than my 2018 with Malibu saddle. 

I believe you are stepping up to the 240. IIWM, I would want to get some seat time in something black before I sprung for a lot of black interior. The new M240 vinyl is probably an up graded vinyl from my '19 LSV. Point being, what little black I have in my interior looks like a Jackson Pollack painting until it dries off. I can only imagine the cringe factor when water spotted in a predominantly black interior.

19 hours ago, Slurpee said:

We spent a day on a new XT22 a couple weeks ago. My buddy brought it by the day after spending a day on his ‘16 (traded in) The cool touch is on his new boat and is very pleasant. 

04640B64-AFC0-4CC2-95BC-B36827B4E14F.jpeg

3497257A-9D53-4496-8621-1734FCC41B01.jpeg

That is a stellar looking boat.  We really looked hard at the MC XT22.  The cool feel is 100% legit and feels really premium.  We couldn't justify the +10k premium for something that we would then have to turn around and put lead in to make it surf like a +100k surf boat.

1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

That is a stellar looking boat.  We really looked hard at the MC XT22.  The cool feel is 100% legit and feels really premium.  We couldn't justify the +10k premium for something that we would then have to turn around and put lead in to make it surf like a +100k surf boat.

Yeah, we had 100lbs of lead under each locker sac and 200lbs more under the flip up rear seat.

That cool touch is pretty nice.  We spent another day out on both our boats over the weekend.  It's not really hot here anymore, but the sun was out and it was calm.  His tan is about the same temp as my white and light graphite right now.  And it feels really nice.  They specifically sought out a boat with it.

It's funny how boats differ.  My 22' VLX needs that much weight up front in lead.  I've got 200 lbs around the bow tank and another 100lbs in the walkway or a little off to one side of the other as needed up front.  I'm a recent steel shot in a bag convert.  Love how easy and FAST it is to tune a wake with it.  I can't believe it took me this long to try it.

image.png

Edited by Slurpee
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, Slurpee said:

Yeah, we had 100lbs of lead under each locker sac and 200lbs more under the flip up rear seat.

That cool touch is pretty nice.  We spent another day out on both our boats over the weekend.  It's not really hot here anymore, but the sun was out and it was calm.  His tan is about the same temp as my white and light graphite right now.  And it feels really nice.  They specifically sought out a boat with it.

It's funny how boats differ.  My 22' VLX needs that much weight up front in lead.  I've got 200 lbs around the bow tank and another 100lbs in the walkway or a little off to one side of the other as needed up front.  I'm a recent steel shot in a bag convert.  Love how easy and FAST it is to tune a wake with it.  I can't believe it took me this long to try it.

image.png

That's nice!  Our experience wasn't that good with the wave.  But, we are 100% novice surfers so who knows if we can tell the difference.  Loved how big the XT 22 felt.  Really liked the lines of the boat as well as the MC build quality.  Tell your buddy nice ride!