Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 models stern thruster

greg2222

Anyone have experience with new stern truster attached to power edge ? Not understand how it works if wedge is down and I’m running 20Mph is basically destroying wake, or I’m wrong? 

23 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I’m surprised to see that it sticks bellow the running surface and doesn’t cause any interference. 

I don't think it does.  That's just the angle of the photo throwing you off.

37 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

I’m surprised to see that it sticks bellow the running surface and doesn’t cause any interference. 

It doesn't actually hang below the running surface, its really only in the water at idle speed. @justgary is right, its the photo angle.  I will try to get a more useful photo next time i am at the dealer. 

Our dealer says it only works at idle speed, a fantastic option “if you need it”.

He also said since we have had inboards for about 20 years it is not worth the money for us.  Wait until the price goes down.

For the new inboard owners.... he will sell a lot of them.

IMO, its really only needed on the bigger boats. What i have noticed is the big props we are turning now amplify the lateral  movement of the stern when not in gear. Is it really even needed, no probably not. But it sure is helpful.

I definitely don't "need" it for my 23 but it sure would be nice to have it.  It would be good peace of mind for when my wife and other family members need to drive the boat, and it sure does make picking up down surfers a lot easier.   

• Like 2

greg i think your original post mentioned attaching to power wedge... if you look closer theres a chrome tube coming out of the stern of boat and into thruster assembly that has a black shroud, that makes up the thruster assembly.   the wedge bracket and assembly would be separate, so wedge deployment would be independent of the thruster.  When underway the thruster would be, for the most part,  out of water so would not affect the wake.  I say for the most part because it would still be somewhat submerged at say 3/4mph but maybe halfway at 6/7 and less so above that.  I'm taking a stab at those speeds as i haven't been on one, but the running surface that shapes a wake is the entire bottom of the boat and any gadget deploying into or below the running waterline which the thruster will be well above and away from while underway.

Edited by bass10a
the paragon clouded me thots
  • 2 weeks later...

You can not get the thruster with the 550 supercharged motor option.  Only on the new 670.  I think it has to do with the alternator not being able to handle current draw of thruster.  Major bummer for us vertically challenged surf boats.  come’on  Malibu give us the 670 option in the 25lsv for 2020!

Edited by Capdoogie

M240 is supercharged and you can to add thruster. My concern about location of the thruster- Nautique is using the same  but on the bottom of the thruster is WAVEPLATE  so when you driving there is no way that thruster is destroying wake and is protecting thruster . 

Nautiques system is a much better system in the way it was built for the G23 and not just an accessory add on like Malibus stern turn . 

Nautiques is integrated into the steering and command control and has exhaust diverter so it doesn't take exhaust gases through the thruster from the surf pipe. I am surprised malibu did not design their own instead of just using a easy drive bolt on unit . Both Malibu and Nautique have a msrp of 9-10k but Nautiques is a much slicker looking unit and is integrated . sturn turn does the Job and doesn't interfere with the wave but not in the same league as nautiques unit .

The Nautique option in theory sounds nice, but with its limited run times, all internal parts (taking up more space inside the boat), internal motor creating loud output, and many issues with your spoken on exhaust diverter.. Could go back and forth on which is better, but lining up facts I count Stern Turn as the clear winner compared to Nautiques 'Steering Assist'

After speaking with countless Nauitique owners and dealers whom have seen both first hand now, the majority agrees as well.

Edited by easydrivebrian
28 minutes ago, easydrivebrian said:

The Nautique option in theory sounds nice, but with its limited run times(internal motor and components), no ability to engage via joystick/switch, and many issues with your spoken on exhaust diverter.. Could go back and forth on which is better, but lining up facts I count Stern Turn as the clear winner compared to Nautiques 'Steering Assist'

After speaking with countless Nauitique owners and dealers whom have seen both first hand now, the majority agrees as well.

Not correct. You can control the thruster by the steering wheel or by using the joystick, moving it right or left, or using buttons on the screen. Seems like a much more throughout operation... 

7 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

Not correct. You can control the thruster by the steering wheel or by using the joystick, moving it right or left, or using buttons on the screen. Seems like a much more throughout operation... 

Seems everyone complains about steering wheel control, just looked into it though and does show an option to put engagement into their toggle on the arm rest too. Thanks for correction on that aspect Cole! I will edit. 

55 minutes ago, easydrivebrian said:

Seems everyone complains about steering wheel control, just looked into it though and does show an option to put engagement into their toggle on the arm rest too. Thanks for correction on that aspect Cole! I will edit. 

Brian I heard most people use the toggle control over the steering control , I can speak for reliability as I haven't seen anything on the Nautique forum . The only thing we find annoying with our easy drive unit is when it times out and turns itself of after roughly 5 minutes , I would guess the Malibu factory unit doesn't do this , Is there any way we can override this on the easydrive unit , Apart from that I love the unit and wouldn't have a bigger surf boat without one.

20 minutes ago, LucasC said:

Brian I heard most people use the toggle control over the steering control , I can speak for reliability as I haven't seen anything on the Nautique forum . The only thing we find annoying with our easy drive unit is when it times out and turns itself of after roughly 5 minutes , I would guess the Malibu factory unit doesn't do this , Is there any way we can override this on the easydrive unit , Apart from that I love the unit and wouldn't have a bigger surf boat without one.

The Easy Drive has an auto shut off as a safety feature in case a swimmer was in the water and the joystick was accidentally engaged... can easily be turned back on by a press of the joystick though. Imagine having an overheat shut off for a cool down period like the Nautique version has due to it's internal components.. Glad you like our Easy Drive though! 

38 minutes ago, LucasC said:

Why in the world would you need to use a thruster for 5 min or more?

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Why in the world would you need to use a thruster for 5 min or more?

I Dont Mean while using the thruster . the Joystick powers itself down when left idol" within 5 min". so when you do need it you first have to switch it on again which is an extra 2 second hold of the joystick before its ready.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, LucasC said:

I Dont Mean while using the thruster . the Joystick powers itself down when left idol" within 5 min". so when you do need it you first have to switch it on again which is an extra 2 second hold of the joystick before its ready.

Ok, that makes more sense.

1 hour ago, easydrivebrian said:

The Easy Drive has an auto shut off as a safety feature in case a swimmer was in the water and the joystick was accidentally engaged... can easily be turned back on by a press of the joystick though. Imagine having an overheat shut off for a cool down period like the Nautique version has due to it's internal components.. Glad you like our Easy Drive though! 

The Malibu Stern turn doesn't have the joystick but has the controls on the throttle, Are you saying the Malibu doesn't have  the auto shut off as a safety feature in case a swimmer was in the water and the throttle switch was accidentally engaged, Same can be said for the Nautique as the toggle is ready for use at all times and doesn't need switching on several times throughout the day . So I would like to know if the safety feature can be overridden Thanks

Edited by LucasC
add to post