Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Heater to Raptor 410 LSV 23

On 2/11/2020 at 8:36 PM, dalt1 said:

Well after much fishing, I have been told by 2 reliable sources that the harness, relay is not needed. Just use the (to heater pump )wire found at the front of the engine and no relay or fuse needed. So I will run direct from that wire to my pump hot wire and there is an open ground wire back in the wire loom near my pump to ground it. Here is the hot wire at front of engine.image.thumb.png.7fa55cd4ddbbca05a4e519614e08e91b.png

So much for reliable sources. That wire is hot as soon as you flip the battery switch on.  That won't work. Back hunting info again tomorrow. Guessing I'll be buying the harness.

• 2 weeks later...

I put the Heatercore brand heater in this weekend in my LSV 25.  Overall very pleased with results and heat.  Tested it all day Sunday

Tips and thoughts:

You need to buy the premium heater core kit that comes with the circ pump.

1.  Wiring the circulation pump is mildly complex.  I found the black ground wire in back of boat near blower  and red "to heater pump" wire in front of engine near  as described above.  However, the "to heater pump" wire is hot whenever computer screen (ignition) is on (as stated above).  That is not good.  You only want the circ pump to run when engine is running.  To make it all work,  unbolt fuse box on  top of engine and find the fuel pump relay.  We used our volt meter to find the wire on the power side of the fuel pump relay and splice into it.  You have to take the splice from power side of fuel pump relay and wire it to low amp side of circulation pump relay (that comes with the kit).  Then the "to heater wire" is placed on the power side of the circ pump relay.  You can use the same ground for activation and power side of circ pump relay.

The above accomplishes what you want.  The circ pump to only run when engine is running.  When you first turn on computer screen (ignition) you will hear circ pump run for couple of seconds just like the fuel pump does and then it will turn off until you start the engine.

2.  For snaking the hoses we used an electrician's fish tape and found where the steering cable goes from front to back.  We pushed the fish tape from front to back and then pulled one heater hose at a time.

3.  For wiring the actual heater fan I wanted to use the heater switch that is on the Malibu computer screen not the switch that came with kit.  On the small computer screen find setting and power accessories, you can heater heater to "on".  After that is done on the main  (big) screen toward bottom right a heater button will appear.  It has a high, low and off position.

Under the steering wheel remove the board near drivers feet and there is a three prong plug labeled heater tucked up under.  There is an orange and black wire.  The black is ground and goes to heater ground.  The orange is hot and send 9 Volts on low setting and 12Volts on high.  The heater itself comes with four wires for the three speed switch and ground.  You only need to wire orange (power) wire from boat to high speed wire on heater.  And wire the ground.

4.  We do not have a sub woofer so placed the heater under the dash behind the board mentioned above.  Wherever you place yours be very careful that you leave clearance behind the pull out vents.  The stick back into the wall about 8 inches.

If anybody wants I could take some pictures.  This project took me about 1.5 days but now I could do it in about 4 hours (since I now know what I am doing)

1 hour ago, Drslatt said:

I put the Heatercore brand heater in this weekend in my LSV 25.  Overall very pleased with results and heat.  Tested it all day Sunday

Tips and thoughts:

You need to buy the premium heater core kit that comes with the circ pump.

1.  Wiring the circulation pump is mildly complex.  I found the black ground wire in back of boat near blower  and red "to heater pump" wire in front of engine near  as described above.  However, the "to heater pump" wire is hot whenever computer screen (ignition) is on (as stated above).  That is not good.  You only want the circ pump to run when engine is running.  To make it all work,  unbolt fuse box on  top of engine and find the fuel pump relay.  We used our volt meter to find the wire on the power side of the fuel pump relay and splice into it.  You have to take the splice from power side of fuel pump relay and wire it to low amp side of circulation pump relay (that comes with the kit).  Then the "to heater wire" is placed on the power side of the circ pump relay.  You can use the same ground for activation and power side of circ pump relay.

The above accomplishes what you want.  The circ pump to only run when engine is running.  When you first turn on computer screen (ignition) you will hear circ pump run for couple of seconds just like the fuel pump does and then it will turn off until you start the engine.

2.  For snaking the hoses we used an electrician's fish tape and found where the steering cable goes from front to back.  We pushed the fish tape from front to back and then pulled one heater hose at a time.

3.  For wiring the actual heater fan I wanted to use the heater switch that is on the Malibu computer screen not the switch that came with kit.  On the small computer screen find setting and power accessories, you can heater heater to "on".  After that is done on the main  (big) screen toward bottom right a heater button will appear.  It has a high, low and off position.

Under the steering wheel remove the board near drivers feet and there is a three prong plug labeled heater tucked up under.  There is an orange and black wire.  The black is ground and goes to heater ground.  The orange is hot and send 9 Volts on low setting and 12Volts on high.  The heater itself comes with four wires for the three speed switch and ground.  You only need to wire orange (power) wire from boat to high speed wire on heater.  And wire the ground.

4.  We do not have a sub woofer so placed the heater under the dash behind the board mentioned above.  Wherever you place yours be very careful that you leave clearance behind the pull out vents.  The stick back into the wall about 8 inches.

If anybody wants I could take some pictures.  This project took me about 1.5 days but now I could do it in about 4 hours (since I now know what I am doing)

I have ordered the Harness and it should be factory plug and play this way. If I had your info prior, I would have done it that way. I have been fishing for info for months and finally pulled the trigger to figure it out myself with a bit of help from here and there.image.thumb.png.d16d4cebfe8c5610a2c0d45b64b15c83.png

I have my water lines ran (was easier than feared).

Heater (Maradyne 3 port) and its wiring all figured out, same as you except my wires from helm were in the area of the sub enclosure already(redesigned boat for 18 and different from your 17). I have a much tighter area as I have a sub and extended storage that goes all the way back on top of my sub. It is shoe horned in but worked out.

Hot tubes all in place, measure 4 times cut once. It's tight where they go and not interfere with anything else, get it right.image.thumb.png.f9315f5dfae64ca273fe88b230628192.pngimage.thumb.png.39fd9ba35308d4b361bcc8d4fea58655.pngimage.thumb.png.2ca0e960e750e24a208cbbbb0ee47749.png

As a bonus, found the heated seat wiring all in place just had to plug the seat harness in below the seat and add the heating element to lower cushion. I ordered it from Bakes online along with the pump wiring harness.image.thumb.png.6ae65aaa6388c64af578ba5f66497a74.png

• 1 month later...

Great info on the heater add on.  I have a 2019 24 MXZ with a drivers heater, but no other heaters for the passengers.  Does anyone know if a 2 heater port is added if the existing hose and heat pump can be used to run the new 2 heater core? Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a great thread and helped me significantly with the majority of my 2021 vtx heater install. The only question I now have is regarding wiring. Specifically, is the capped to pin harness zip-tied to the circulation pump location the pre-wired circulation pump connection? (Sorry, in English: the circulation pump mounts to the engine hoist bracket next to the alternator, there is a 2-wire harness capped and zip tied to the bracket where the circ pump will mount if a heater is not already installed)

This seems to be the only wire NOT labeled in the entire boat…. Haha! Seriously though.

Everything has gone in fairly smoothly, from fishing the hoses, to mounting the heater, drilling the 3 tube holes, etc. now I’m just stalling on the hose connect until I can nail the wiring since I can’t connect the circ pump without wiring it properly (or risk overheating). Thanks again for all of the pics and discussion, even though there are two models posted in this thread they both helped a ton. 

Edited by surftahoe
Left something out and was confusing
  • 2 years later...
WickedWake
On 12/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, csleaver said:

Many of the newer engines (GM LS/Gen IV/Gen V, Ford Raptor) use the heater loop as an integrated part of the cooling system.  If the coolant is unable to flow from the heater inlet and outlet connections on the engine, it is very likely that the engine will overheat (whether or not the engine uses a closed system with coolant or an open system with sea water).  That is the reason for the small hose used between the heater connections on boats without a heater, and the need for a circulation pump for boats with a heater.

The GM L31/350 cooling system is very different and the heater circuit flow has no impact on the engine cooling capacity.  Often, the heater connections are just blocked off with plugs when there is no heater in the boat with the GM 350 and circulation pumps or low flow wye connectors are only used to increase flow and the performance of the heater.

Re: heater loop.  How do you know the direction the coolant flows?  I would not want to put the circulating pump on the wrong one.

On Raptor 6.2 Ford engines, the heater loop tubes are on the top of the engine.  The heater tube furthest from the alternator goes to the heater circulation pump, and the heater tube closest to the alternator connects to the cabin heater return hose.  There are molded hoses PN 6033001 available from Malibu for the engine heater tubes which are used to install the heater circulation pump and cabin heater return hose.

On the Indmar and Pleasurecraft GM Gen4 6.0L engines, the heater loop connections are on the bank 2 side and have little blue decals marked "to heater" and "from heater" the heater circulation pump connects to the fitting closest to the exhaust manifold, and the return hose from the cabin heater connects to the fitting closest to the front of the engine. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any pictures of the wiring harness install? I purchased the gen 4 heater pump harness. Looking for location of where to connect the 3 connectors. 410 motor. Thanks. 

installing on a 2016 23 LSV 

16 hours ago, cwiley3 said:

Does anyone have any pictures of the wiring harness install? I purchased the gen 4 heater pump harness. Looking for location of where to connect the 3 connectors. 410 motor. Thanks. 

installing on a 2016 23 LSV 

image.png.138393c3136f9745135376b2d7441c2e.pngDoes it look like this? This is what I used for my 2018 410 install. The connections on left of pic go to fuel pump area, right of pic go to relay connection, red/black at bottom of pic go to recirc pump, Black bottom of pic go to the wire at front of engine marked to heater. That is if I recall correctly, 85% chance on that.

4 hours ago, dalt1 said:

image.png.138393c3136f9745135376b2d7441c2e.pngDoes it look like this? This is what I used for my 2018 410 install. The connections on left of pic go to fuel pump area, right of pic go to relay connection, red/black at bottom of pic go to recirc pump, Black bottom of pic go to the wire at front of engine marked to heater. That is if I recall correctly, 85% chance on that.

thanks for replying. Yes it’s the same harness. The red and black for circ pump and the single black to Heater connection I got. It’s the other 2 on the left of pic that im struggling with. It dawned on me this morning that maybe those 2 connectors are an in between or bridge type connection for just one of the connectors near the fuel pump.  Does that make sense? Thanks again.