Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding Heater to Raptor 410 LSV 23

Want to add heater to my 2018 LSV 23 with the Raptor engine. Is there already a write up somewhere? I have searched with no luck. From what I have been able to find out so far, factory units used Maradyne units(300CFM) and not Heatercraft. If anyone has any input i would appreciate it. Would love to have parts list and install info if anyone can help.

Edited by dalt1

Please forgive me if I'm not familiar with it, but that engine has closed cooling, doesn't it?  Isn't this just a task of finding two places to tap the flow of hot coolant? 

Snatch that pretty decorative cover off and post a photo for us to look at.  In the meantime, maybe we can just prattle on about it until someone with factory heat looks and tells you where the hoses go....

3 hours ago, justgary said:

Please forgive me if I'm not familiar with it, but that engine has closed cooling, doesn't it?  Isn't this just a task of finding two places to tap the flow of hot coolant? 

Snatch that pretty decorative cover off and post a photo for us to look at.  In the meantime, maybe we can just prattle on about it until someone with factory heat looks and tells you where the hoses go....

Mostly wondering how much hassle it is to get 2 water hoses fished from engine to front? Also I may look for an alternate mounting position from stock as I have expanded my forward Storage bin and it runs all the way on top of my sub box. I think the factory coils,blower were mounted there.

I don't recall too much trouble when I added a heater to my Sunsetter.  As I recall, I just shoved a stiff wire through,  then taped both hoses on and pulled.  It did snag once but I managed to work it through by moving the steering cable. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have a picture of the connection used to integrate it to the dash on a 2018 model? Probably going to use Maradyne heater as I have heard that is what Malibu has used last few years. Want to order correct end from them. 

I feel like the actual act of installing this may be easier than actually getting all the info I am looking for! Must not be many newer boats without heaters where people wanted to install one? Not getting much chatter here.

12 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

I feel like the actual act of installing this may be easier than actually getting all the info I am looking for! Must not be many newer boats without heaters where people wanted to install one? Not getting much chatter here.

You have plenty of room for everything. The hard part will be cutting the holes in your perfectly good fiberglass floor. :Doh: You will want to buy the "new" Johnson recirculating pump for it. Malibu had a recall for my old one for what ever reason. I had TNT upgrade it on Friday.

3 hours ago, wdr said:

You have plenty of room for everything. The hard part will be cutting the holes in your perfectly good fiberglass floor. :Doh: You will want to buy the "new" Johnson recirculating pump for it. Malibu had a recall for my old one for what ever reason. I had TNT upgrade it on Friday.

Not afraid of cutting. Anyone have the new Johnson pump #?

Let me provide some planning on using hole saws.  This is how I minimize risk of the bit wandering or jumping out of position.  Once you have layout predrill the center hole without the hole saw. Then drill a sample of the hole saw in scrap plywood. Use the exterior scrap to shoulder the hole saw to stabilize during drilling. Another trick is to extend the pilot bit to insure engagement.  One problem with drilling any depth with large hole saws is the dust gets bound up in the kerf, possibly burning. To control the ejection of dust try drilling hole saw just deep enough to out line the circle. Stop and with a small 1/4” bit drill a few holes just inside of the exterior limits of the hole saw circle. What this does is give the saw dust a place to exit away from the bit and not clog up. Don’t be in a hurry, use a slow speed. If going thru gelcoat start with holesaw in reverse till thru the gelcoat, slow speed again.

Here is the Johnson recirculating pump. Most of the data for it was rubbed off. You can see the origins for inlet side hose to the pump coming from the block on the M5. Probably doesn't apply to your 410. The hoses are just slung around the back side of the engine and enter in to the Fibecs by the bilge pump starboard side. The run all of the way up the Fibecs and exit out the Fibecs by the sub on mine. The heater is hung above the sub.

80E7C932-EC06-4892-BD19-2816CEF8152B.jpeg

9179FC8D-AF5F-4C56-9D5F-EAC6D01F4C5C.jpeg

852787C2-1456-4FE3-9524-5DE0245CECCF.jpeg

E9000829-5695-47E7-B9FF-4171F1F4EE86.jpeg

• 1 month later...

How is the Circulation pump wired? Is it running anytime engine is running? Where is the factory hookup? is there connections already in the engine compartment? I'm still planning on this install before spring.

TIA. Doesn't seem to be much info on this exact install.

The heater circulation pump is controlled by a relay connected to the fuel pump harness, so the circ pump runs whenever the fuel pump is running.

You will need the fused harness and relay from Malibu to power the heater circulation pump.  It connects to the fuel pump harness, the circ pump, the engine ground and the port stringer power post.  Your dealer should be able to order the harness for you, along with the pump, hoses, heater core/motor, vents, vent hose, and helm harness.

Interesting.  I wired my circulation pump to the heater fan motor so the pump only runs if the heater is on.  My thought was that I could continue to get hot output for a while even with the engine off. 

20 hours ago, justgary said:

Interesting.  I wired my circulation pump to the heater fan motor so the pump only runs if the heater is on.  My thought was that I could continue to get hot output for a while even with the engine off. 

but on a motor without the head pressure for the water pump to reliably push coolant through the heater circuit, I get why the fuel pump method is used too.  It would hurt my brain to figure out, but couldn't you do cascading relays which would turn on the pump in both circumstances (always pumps when engine running / pumps on demand when heater turned on)?

21 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

(always pumps when engine running / pumps on demand when heater turned on)?

why would you care if water/coolant were going to heater core if heater wasn’t turned on.  i have the heater Y pipe snd I have “heater envy” of heat with motor off now from pump wired to heater switch ,  but my  Y pipe does what your saying but it is of no benefit when heater is off?

Edited by granddaddy55

Many of the newer engines (GM LS/Gen IV/Gen V, Ford Raptor) use the heater loop as an integrated part of the cooling system.  If the coolant is unable to flow from the heater inlet and outlet connections on the engine, it is very likely that the engine will overheat (whether or not the engine uses a closed system with coolant or an open system with sea water).  That is the reason for the small hose used between the heater connections on boats without a heater, and the need for a circulation pump for boats with a heater.

The GM L31/350 cooling system is very different and the heater circuit flow has no impact on the engine cooling capacity.  Often, the heater connections are just blocked off with plugs when there is no heater in the boat with the GM 350 and circulation pumps or low flow wye connectors are only used to increase flow and the performance of the heater.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

why would you care if water/coolant were going to heater core if heater wasn’t turned on. 

In my case, I'd rather not have the extra heat in the core when it's 99*F outside.  Any small draft over the core would mean extra heat coming out of the tubes.

I do have closed cooling, so I have several gallons of hot liquid to use while the engine is off.

• 3 weeks later...

Ready to pull the trigger on install. Have opened up area under helm and confirmed room to squeeze in 3 port Unit. Have found the 2 stickers on engine marked to and from heater so that is easy hook up. I still don't understand how and where the recirculation pump and its wiring are tied in? I believe WDRs pics are for the new engine and I'm needing the Raptor 410 info. Any one willing to get me a Raptor 410 heater pics. Also, it looks like positioning of hot tubes was under helm seat and 1 fixed on right wall by drivers feet correct?image.thumb.png.a77cb24d8795a3336d7cdfc7533d08ef.png

Edited by dalt1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 8:22 PM, dalt1 said:

Mostly wondering how much hassle it is to get 2 water hoses fished from engine to front? Also I may look for an alternate mounting position from stock as I have expanded my forward Storage bin and it runs all the way on top of my sub box. I think the factory coils,blower were mounted there.

The hoses are easy to fish. Got it done last weekend along with mounting the pump.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:42 PM, dalt1 said:

Ready to pull the trigger on install. Have opened up area under helm and confirmed room to squeeze in 3 port Unit. Have found the 2 stickers on engine marked to and from heater so that is easy hook up. I still don't understand how and where the recirculation pump and its wiring are tied in? I believe WDRs pics are for the new engine and I'm needing the Raptor 410 info. Any one willing to get me a Raptor 410 heater pics. Also, it looks like positioning of hot tubes was under helm seat and 1 fixed on right wall by drivers feet correct?image.thumb.png.a77cb24d8795a3336d7cdfc7533d08ef.png

Here is where the pump mounts. Thanks to a reply from Facebook page for helping while he looked at his same model and year boat. The mount hole was hidden behind the hard pipe and I never could see it without his Facetime Vids helping me pinpoint it.image.thumb.png.b049932c703e510d6e65dbd4d4135b5b.png

On 12/22/2019 at 4:22 PM, csleaver said:

The heater circulation pump is controlled by a relay connected to the fuel pump harness, so the circ pump runs whenever the fuel pump is running.

You will need the fused harness and relay from Malibu to power the heater circulation pump.  It connects to the fuel pump harness, the circ pump, the engine ground and the port stringer power post.  Your dealer should be able to order the harness for you, along with the pump, hoses, heater core/motor, vents, vent hose, and helm harness.

Well after much fishing, I have been told by 2 reliable sources that the harness, relay is not needed. Just use the (to heater pump )wire found at the front of the engine and no relay or fuse needed. So I will run direct from that wire to my pump hot wire and there is an open ground wire back in the wire loom near my pump to ground it. Here is the hot wire at front of engine.image.thumb.png.7fa55cd4ddbbca05a4e519614e08e91b.png