Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raptor Spark Plug Info

I'm sure this has been discussed, but searching has not led me to anything useful.  A couple questions:

1. The Indmar 16pk seems like a steep price.  Does anyone know the Motorcraft or NGK equivalent so I can save a few bucks?
  2. Feeling noob-ish here, but where the heck are the "2nd" set of plugs?  I just followed the wire from the coil down and found 4 plugs on each side (right were I expected them).  I didn't really go on a hunt after that, but I really expected to just find two plugs at the cylinder head.
  3. I noticed on the Indmar website they market the plug life as 300 hrs... but then the manual says to change them out annually.  I skipped last year since I got the boat late-season and only had 25 hours... but I'm up to 75 and figured I'd just follow the manual this year.  Are there any opinions on the level of over-kill for annual spark plug replacement really is?

The other set of spark plugs are under the ignition coils.  They call this COP or coil on plug.  Each coil also has an ignition wire that goes to the lower spark plug that you found.  I've found that the original spark plugs are often two different sets, but the recommend replacements are all the same CYFS-12FP like COOP said and you should be able to get them from any automotive store that sells Motor craft plugs.

As far as when to replace the spark plugs, it depends alot on the condition of the plugs and there are many factors than can affect the usable life of them.

I did mine last year - maybe the first time in 5?  I can see no difference whatsoever.  Old plugs looked great so if only for that reason is changing them a good idea every few years.  Maybe these new motors need plugs more often?

Thanks guys.  That was sort of my suspicion that annually given my hours is probably overkill.  I'll pop the lowers and fog the cylinders and do replacements if they look bad, otherwise hold out till next year.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:53 PM, Cole2001 said:

I haven’t changed the plugs on any of my boats, really don’t think it’s necessary until 300 plus hours.

300+++++++++++++++